An intense frustration.

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

I don't think either of these "changed the whole activity" - they were INFLUENCIAL

Semantics… you both agree!

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

lol I'm a Ravens fan - I get the fine, but they didn't have any wins expunged, did they? Your reaction is more than somewhat proving my point, btw. Feel free to change my example in your mind to something else, when someone wins "too much" allegations of cheating crop up practically instantly - it's part of being a sore loser. JMO

George, come on. The Patriots did in fact cheat. That’s not sore loser syndrome. It is a fact.

• Like 1

Bluecoats totally changed DCI the very moment the corps “flew” out from behind that huge pink ramp in brightly colored costumes. We are used to it now—but it has been insane how much the productions have changed since then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Let's get something straight about a situation that is rarely if ever discussed on fan sites like this. The success of the Blue Devils in the contemporary setting in which now live directly correlates to money. It's easy to raise the bar with the money BD has to throw out year after year and show after show. Most drum corps don't have the financial resources of BD to buy championship instruction and talent to match. It's about envy and jealousy for me. It's about who has the money in modern DCI. Money now determines who does well consistently and who rarely if ever will. There are non-profit organizations that attempt to achieve work much more important and serious than BD does and that attempt to fulfill their missions with much less financial resources than BD brings in year after year. My point is that money is buys championship and consistent placement in modern DCI more any other single factor. Raise the bar equates to spend more money.

This is whole deal is about money.  Look at the back wall in the stadium tonight.  That is what this is all about. 

• Thanks 2

Every activity as the same types:  the constantly down and out, the lovable losers, the always almost-there, the lightning-in-a-bottles, the successful favorites, and the Evil Empire.  There is some mobility, but not much.  I'm an Alabama football fan and I LOVE being the Evil Empire of college football.  We embrace and thrive off the hate.  Yes, others will have their moments from time to time, but as long as we have Saban (and as long as BD has their management team) we will be at the top.  The impressive thing about BD is how they have been able to groom, retain, and interchange leadership so seamlessly over the year.

Ps....I'm not a BD fan.  I don't really have a favorite corps at all anymore, just favorite shows from year to year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Semantics… you both agree!

No - those two shows obviously did NOT "change the whole activity"

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

George, come on. The Patriots did in fact cheat. That’s not sore loser syndrome. It is a fact.

Eh - not really, when they determined wrong doing and fined the organization, they specifically stated it was NOT found to change any games outcome. All the victories etc. stood. The NFL was politically forced into that much IMO.

Now please, let's get back to drum corps - what other shows "changed the entire activity" - lol

Love you George! But 50 years from now, if there is DCI, DSU will still be recognized as a milestone in the direction of drum corps. If nothing else it totally changed costuming. It certainly changed props and staging.

• Like 2

I think it's also safe to say that the Blue Devils design team does observe what the other corps have going on, too. An example would be the Bluecoats with their use of electronics and how they are utilized in their productions. TILT set the standard for the use of electronics in the current era of drum corps shows and the Bluecoats built upon that the following year. Pretty much every other corps, now, uses electronics to a high degree and that can all be attributed to the Bluecoats. So, for all the haters and supporters to suggest that the Blue Devils are the lone innovators, creative prime movers, etc. is absurd. Being successful also comes from extensive observation.

• Thanks 2

The toughest aspect of drum corps is how to fairly reward innovation. It seems clear they are trying, with GE scoring.

Im old enough to remember when the Olympics had figure skating competitions for how well you could skate a figure eight. No one watched it. They watched the freestyle competitions. And now it’s all freestyle.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CFC1905 said:

I’m here to tell you my hate for Blue Devils is real. But it’s not about the shows which are a copy of a copy of a copy.  I can’t fault them playing the sheets. Some corps choose to push the boundary, they don’t and that’s their prerogative. 

My hate is from my own interactions with members and staff from that corps.  Biggest group of egotistical a**holes I’ve ever met next to bama fans. If BD didn’t make finals for 10 years in a row I’d laugh all the way to the bank.  

i don't know your own experiences, but i have only had about 2 negative experiences in relation to BD MMs. the majority of MM/Alum i have met and spoken with were nice and humble, they weren't egotistical and seemed to understand the privilege they had to perform at such a high level with such a talented group of performers.