Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

24 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

don’t encourage it, they already tried to bring it to BD thread too, they just wanna argue

If you are talking about me (who he was responding to) you also completely misunderstood my post.  I said nothing about Blue Devils or any other corps having a formula.  Here nor anywhere.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I stand corrected.  I thought that a tie breaker had been put in place after 2000 (2nd year in a row with a tie for first place). 

It was, but it got reversed a few seasons later  

Edited by chrisn96
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tim K said:

We’re you there today? The line for the East  Gate side was around the building to West South St. And had three loops around twice the length of the building on the South Capital side. I’ve never had to wait, but I did this year. People ranting on DCP and FB are accurate. People from about 4:30 until about 7 had to wait at least 30 minutes, most between an hour and an hour and a half. There are photos on Twitter and FB that show the lines. My guess is it will be blamed on a shortage of workers.

Yep, I was comparing my past experiences to today. It was absurd. We waited an hour

34 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Can you explain the formula to me? Is it the use of jazz? Modern dance? Using voiceovers in other languages? White props? I genuinely don't see anything similar to 2019 or other years, other than that they are the Blue Devils.

The formula is to be super strong in all captions.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If you are talking about me (who he was responding to) you also completely misunderstood my post.  I said nothing about Blue Devils or any other corps having a formula.  Here nor anywhere.  

no i was really referring to certain other people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Shhhhh the first rule about drum corps formula is you do not talk about drum corps formula 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Can you explain the formula to me? Is it the use of jazz? Modern dance? Using voiceovers in other languages? White props? I genuinely don't see anything similar to 2019 or other years, other than that they are the Blue Devils.

Glad to see that you are at least being respectful of someone else’s (Skevinp’s) different opinion.  But as long as you asked and tried to have a civil conversation, I’ll take the bait…

IMHO: the use of standalone “vignettes” as movements to their show, highlighting the technical prowess of a featured soloist (a la Flight of the Bumblebee, Carnival of Venice, etc.), movements tied together by non sequitur transitions, “free form” drill design where performers hit their dot in any way that they would like in order to play the next staged section of the show, show titles that don’t really matter much, a pop/standard ballad where most of the other show music is unfamiliar to most people (even people with experience), an obligatory hip hop/k-pop dance section, a loose narration or voiceovers in a deep mysterious voice or foreign language, vertical props to feature an entire section, etc. are what makes BD very repetitive recently.

I realize that every corps uses some of the aforementioned list, but BD tends to check nearly all of these boxes every year lately.

As I sat in LOS and watched their show tonight, I saw almost every single one of these boxes checked in real time - again.

That doesn’t mean that they don’t perform what they are given very well or that the design isn’t a good layered design with lots of detail and nuances - their shows always are.  And that doesn’t mean that I hate them because they win - a lot.  Again, I have a ton of respect for BD.

I just feel that their design team has been using the same plug and play format for a while now, and it has become boring.

Obviously, everyone has their own opinion too, and this activity is a very subjective activity.

Regardless, I’ll be back in LOS next year, watching BD having another excellent performance again.

It’s all good - really, it is!!

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 3