Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

Congratulations to the Concord Blue Devils for championship #20! Also, congrats to the Bluecoats for their silver medal, along with you-know-who.

Speaking of the Boston Crusaders, as someone who has been involved with them for 42 years, last night was very special. From the time I walked into the old Commonwealth Armory as a teenager in December of 1979 to being invited to sing GIANT with them in Quincy last month, it has been the love of my life.

DEVORATE EOS, BOSTONIA. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jonwoody said:

I thought that the scoring system design prevented ties after the many ties years earlier.

EDIT: Never mind. Please look several pages previous or after this post for the correct answer. What I had referred to was later shown as incorrect. 

Edited by CrownBariDad

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I thought we learned the GE score rule is no longer there, per Liahona.

Like I said -- IIRC if I recall correctly. I guess I didn't. 🙂

If two Olympic Marathoners have the exact same time at the finish line, do we award one the silver because they had nicer shoes?

Awards are given based on performance on the field, determined by unbiased judges and agreed to criteria. If two, three or eight competitors finish with the exact same score, they tie. It’s pretty obvious.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 27Socal said:

How about this.  Cut the silver medals in half.  Give one half to BAC and one half to Bloo.   Then give the bronze to Crown.  Or, if you don't like that one, how about the way the lottery gives out prize money?   If 5 people have the numbers to get the 2nd prize,  they still give out the prize money to all the people who had the numbers for the 3rd prize.  What are they going to do with the bronze medals that say 2022 on them?  Throw them away?   Crown had the 3rd highest score,  just give them the medals instead of throwing them away.

Three corps scored higher than Crown, so Crown had the 4th highest score. If there was a tie for 3rd, they would've given bronze to both and then you would see 4 corps medaling. This is how it works in sports too, and it's always been like this, so can you just stop talking about this now.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If two Olympic Marathoners have the exact same time at the finish line, do we award one the silver because they had nicer shoes?

Awards are given based on performance on the field, determined by unbiased judges and agreed to criteria. If two, three or eight competitors finish with the exact same score, they tie. It’s pretty obvious.

I hear ya.  A lot of activities do use statistically based tie breakers, though.  I’m not even sure the Olympics don’t.  

I don’t like it for DCI, though.  Especially the GE based tie breaker.  It is already the most influential category and it is the most subjective.

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I hear ya.  A lot of activities do use statistically based tie breakers, though.  I’m not even sure the Olympics don’t.  

I don’t like it for DCI, though.  Especially the GE based tie breaker.  It is already the most influential category and it is the most subjective.

Olympic ties