Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

followed the DM?

I wonder if DCI could ever head to TX for finals rather than the heat tour - Cowboys stadium (which I'm sure is crazy expensive) if WONDERFUL. LOS is ehh

After this year, DCI should consider looking elsewhere. I realize there is a contract and there are advantages to Indy, especially that the city and hotels know how to handle convention and special event crowds, but the lines alone last night and the few open concession stands alone are reasons. 

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

followed the DM?

I wonder if DCI could ever head to TX for finals rather than the heat tour - Cowboys stadium (which I'm sure is crazy expensive) if WONDERFUL. LOS is ehh

I’m not disabled but I would sure hate to be in that place.  The concourse has all those stairs.  I saw people with canes really struggling.  I was talking to a friend back home today that marched with me in Norwood Park.  I was her rookie.  I asked why she didn’t come and she said that her and her husband got so beat up trying to get around in 2019, that they decided to stay home and watch on flo.  Another friend came to watch her son in Southwind, she has cancer and it has affected one of her legs. Her husband and son had to protect her from being pushed around. I’ve heard some terrible stories from people. I just lay my elbow into them like Dennis Rodman under the net when they shove me. 

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I really feel like the judges got everything correct in the end - a terrific percussion performance by Bluecoats was recognized - Boston's outstanding guard - and Devils being the best corps in 2022

Thanks to all the marching members for your efforts & energy, and a shoutout to all who supported those efforts

I felt DCI's "50th anniversary" efforts were just so-so. Hopefully they'll work with LOS to improve service & staffing next year!

This is just an objective question that came into my mind last night. It appears test maybe once in every few years some other corps wins the DCI title other than BD. Or, should I say that every few years someone else is “allowed” to win the title other than BD. Are the Blue Devils year after year truly the best corps on the field on finals night or is it because they have won so many titles in the eyes of the judging community, it’s almost like in sports, you are going to literally knock the reigning champions out to get the prize? What do you think? I marched in the activity for five year in the 80s and instructed for a couple of years. Now, I’ve been closely following from the side lines the last few years. Honestly, I know the activity has changed a lot from the 80s, but, I can’t help but wander if the playing field at the top is really fair and objective anymore. Just my humble observation. Also, with as much money that these young people are paying for the experience these days, if I were a great musician and had the physical ability, I would have to say that I would do everything in my power to march with BD, unless winning a title was not really at the top of what I wanted out of the experience.

Just now, bobjective said:

This is just an objective question that came into my mind last night. It appears that maybe once in every few years some other corps wins the DCI title other than BD. Or, should I say that every few years someone else is “allowed” to win the title other than BD. Are the Blue Devils year after year truly the best corps on the field on finals night or is it because they have won so many titles in the eyes of the judging community, it’s almost like in sports, you are going to literally have to knock the reigning champions out to get the prize? What do you think? I marched in the activity for five year in the 80s and instructed for a couple of years. Now, I’ve been closely following from the side lines the last few years. Honestly, I know the activity has changed a lot from the 80s, but, I can’t help but wander if the playing field at the top is really fair and objective anymore. Just my humble observation. Also, with as much money that these young people are paying for the experience these days, if I were a great musician and had the physical ability, I would have to say that I would do everything in my power to march with BD, unless winning a title was not really at the top of what I wanted out of the experience.

5 minutes ago, bobjective said:

This is just an objective question that came into my mind last night. It appears test maybe once in every few years some other corps wins the DCI title other than BD. Or, should I say that every few years someone else is “allowed” to win the title other than BD. Are the Blue Devils year after year truly the best corps on the field on finals night or is it because they have won so many titles in the eyes of the judging community, it’s almost like in sports, you are going to literally knock the reigning champions out to get the prize? What do you think? I marched in the activity for five year in the 80s and instructed for a couple of years. Now, I’ve been closely following from the side lines the last few years. Honestly, I know the activity has changed a lot from the 80s, but, I can’t help but wander if the playing field at the top is really fair and objective anymore. Just my humble observation. Also, with as much money that these young people are paying for the experience these days, if I were a great musician and had the physical ability, I would have to say that I would do everything in my power to march with BD, unless winning a title was not really at the top of what I wanted out of the experience.

As I have said every season around this time—quoting the great basketball coach Eddie Fogler, when asked if officials are biased:

“Every official knows who is supposed to win.”

Of course the judges are biased. All people are. 

Sticking with the sports theme: No matter what rules you want to make, some members will have an inherent advantage. You can change the college basketball recruiting rules a thousand ways to Sunday—Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas are still going to dominate.

Winning in any competitive scenario involves having more and better resources than your opponents. BD has more and better resources than every one of their competitors and it’s not really very close. Therefore competition also isn’t very close.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

'...the great basketball coach Eddie Fogler, when asked if officials are biased:

If one attempts to apply this to drum corps, the "great" Eddie Fogler is full of it.

Odds makers do not determine results in this activity. Performers do.

That said, there once was a time when bias was rampant in drum corps adjudication, particularly at "National" competitions. DCI was formed in part to counter this and has been quite successful for the past 50 years.

Edited by ironlips
clarity
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobjective said:

I’m not a BD supporter and I would love to see more variety with championships. BUT sitting In the 10th row at the 40 last night I can hands down acknowledge that the devils were the best. Not my favorite by a long shot!! On my own list of favs, they were about 6th. They are best at just about everything. One could argue certain aspects but I won’t here that’s not the point.They don’t move like kids in a corps they move around like professional dancers. They sound like they are playing in a recording studio.  Again it kills me to acknowledge it but it’s true. They don’t get the rapid standing ovations like others but the judges are correct for the most part.  Congrats Devils, consider me impressed and a fan for the day! 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

As I have said every season around this time—quoting the great basketball coach Eddie Fogler, when asked if officials are biased:

Of course the judges are biased. All people are. 

Sticking with the sports theme: No matter what rules you want to make, some members will have an inherent advantage. You can change the college basketball recruiting rules a thousand ways to Sunday—Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas are still going to dominate.

Those schools dominate because of the coaches they hire.  Those same schools have had down periods when they made bad hires, except for Duke who is changing coaches for the first time in decades. I never thought I would see the Cadets and Cavaliers fall to non-contenders and have a year where BAC, Bloo and Crown were all in the top 4, but time leads to change. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Previous in this thread, ties are now allowed except for first. A first place tie is broken by the GE score. IIRC

NO.  This is incorrect.  Repealed in 2009.

tie-breaker-policy

53 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

followed the DM?

I wonder if DCI could ever head to TX for finals rather than the heat tour - Cowboys stadium (which I'm sure is crazy expensive) is WONDERFUL. LOS is ehh

AT&T stadium is in my hometown I got to have rehearsal there once in my HS days with just us in the stadium and occasional tourists!! it was a crazy experience. The stadium also pretty frequently hosts/hosted HS football, so my school got to play there a few times my first few years of HS and we got to perform our competitive show for halftime with people this time, definitely loved it! USBands hosts a marching competition there every year, my school never took part ‘cause we did BOA, but many argue why the big BOA Texas super regional in SA isn’t held in AT&T stadium is mainly because it’s SUPER BOOMY in there. And it definitely can be!