Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

59 minutes ago, Tim K said:

After this year, DCI should consider looking elsewhere. I realize there is a contract and there are advantages to Indy, especially that the city and hotels know how to handle convention and special event crowds, but the lines alone last night and the few open concession stands alone are reasons. 

Or they need to draft stronger contracts and build better contingency plans.  Otherwise the same problems could occur anywhere.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Or they need to draft stronger contracts and build better contingency plans.  Otherwise the same problems could occur anywhere.  

LOS handles 60,000 NFL fans eight times a year. It’s all about how much you can pay them to staff appropriately. If you only open three gates then it doesn’t matter where you go. You cannot squeeze 20,000 people through three gates in an hour.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

But yes, you should always follow the DM LOL. 

Is that the one with the baton? I always wondered what they were doing up there.  They always seemed to have a hard time staying with my rich tapestry of varying tempos.

• Haha 2

Just now, LabMaster said:

With all due respect, if anyone is not biased it is ironlips.  Be more respectful…and aware.

Every human is biased. That is my point. There is no such thing as an unbiased person. The way to overcome bias is to have many biased people seeking to be aware of their bias, together. DCI does a pretty good job of this, IMO.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

LOS handles 60,000 NFL fans eight times a year. It’s all about how much you can pay them to staff appropriately. If you only open three gates then it doesn’t matter where you go. You cannot squeeze 20,000 people through three gates in an hour.

Yep.  I didn’t mean for their solutions to be limited to my couple of ‘top of my head’ suggestions. 

In the amount of time it took for people last night to insist there is nothing DCI can do, I had already thought of several things they can do.  They need to work to solve these problems.  

• Thanks 2

I can usually see why Blue Devils win and this year is no exception. I did not find this year’s show as flawless as other years, but three of the four performances I saw were spot on, and the one that was not was against a corps that also did not have its best run. I think I watched them more carefully this year since Boston Crusaders were so good and I wanted at least one victory over BD by BAC. Actually I wanted a title for Boston Crusaders, but that’s another story.

Regarding kids wanting to win and joining Blue Devils, I’m not sure that Blue Devils is the destination corp it used to be. Over the years I’ve talked with BD marching members and parents, usually at the airport where. I am right Nile, and I hear more stories about nurturing talent and the reliance of the corps on vets. Maybe I am just talking with a small group and what I say may be anecdotal. Blue Devils could have a good number of one and done folks who just want to win, but it’s not the entire corps.

• Like 1

I think I state the obvious when I say that BD has no trouble getting talented kids to fill their ranks. But watching so many of the other top 12 corps, it would appear that they aren't having much trouble either. So many talented kids out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobjective said:

This is just an objective question that came into my mind last night. It appears test maybe once in every few years some other corps wins the DCI title other than BD. Or, should I say that every few years someone else is “allowed” to win the title other than BD. Are the Blue Devils year after year truly the best corps on the field on finals night or is it because they have won so many titles in the eyes of the judging community, it’s almost like in sports, you are going to literally knock the reigning champions out to get the prize? What do you think? I marched in the activity for five year in the 80s and instructed for a couple of years. Now, I’ve been closely following from the side lines the last few years. Honestly, I know the activity has changed a lot from the 80s, but, I can’t help but wander if the playing field at the top is really fair and objective anymore. Just my humble observation. Also, with as much money that these young people are paying for the experience these days, if I were a great musician and had the physical ability, I would have to say that I would do everything in my power to march with BD, unless winning a title was not really at the top of what I wanted out of the experience.

Actually, if you polled the serious fans on who was the best, not necessarily who is their favorite this year, but who was the best, I think the Blue Devils would still come out on top.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 6