Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

14 minutes ago, TenHut said:

My favorite DM of all time was Dan VerHeusen from Madison, around 1980. Before each show he would pull out a Kodak Instamatic camera with a cube flash bulb and take a picture of the crowd. Dan was a great showman.

Recording artist Ben Rector does this every night.

16 hours ago, 27Socal said:

What the hell.  Give the bronze to Crown anyway.  They deserved it.

Bronze goes to the third place corps. Crown was fourth. They’ll just have to be satisfied with a finalist medal. 

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Every human is biased. That is my point. There is no such thing as an unbiased person. The way to overcome bias is to have many biased people seeking to be aware of their bias, together. DCI does a pretty good job of this, IMO.

Still you should not characterize someone as biased if you know nothing about them.  Even generalizing an entire populous.

I’m not going to engage further.  The season is over, we are on to 2023.  It was a great year.  Stunning really.  Congrats to BD and all corps for one of the most entertains and competitive years we’ve ever seen.  Best wishes to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iggymen said:

while the scores where announced we were expecting BD to win by a full 2 points... and we have no bias here... we're fans of the southern corps of the 80's,, however, we were surprised Boston didn't own 2nd place.    Kids want to join BD not just for winning... it's an incredible experience and anyway.. who would fault a kid shooting for the best experience and biggest challenge....

The "best experience" and "biggest challenge" is defined by each individual member.  Some would actually disagree that BD is that for them.  For many, it's less about the win, I agree.  What does that corps, the membership, the staff, the experience say to you?  If that doesn't feel like home, it's not for you.  Our son found his home elsewhere & stayed there, by choice & happily.  He is proud to have marched to his corps despite being able to move up.  It was about more than rings and winning, and it always will be.

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

As I have said every season around this time—quoting the great basketball coach Eddie Fogler, when asked if officials are biased:

“Every official knows who is supposed to win.”

Of course the judges are biased. All people are. 

Sticking with the sports theme: No matter what rules you want to make, some members will have an inherent advantage. You can change the college basketball recruiting rules a thousand ways to Sunday—Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas are still going to dominate.

Winning in any competitive scenario involves having more and better resources than your opponents. BD has more and better resources than every one of their competitors and it’s not really very close. Therefore competition also isn’t very close.

When they start alternating who gets to practice at the indoor colts field, priority equipment truck parking, etc. I will start believing that favoritism doesn't exist.  The minute the Troopers, Colts, & Academy are allowed the same access as Crown, BD, Bloo, I will buy it.  Until that point, there is no telling me politics doesn't play a HUGE part in ALL of this.  For better or worse, right here right now. 

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Or they need to draft stronger contracts and build better contingency plans.  Otherwise the same problems could occur anywhere.  

I was wondering how much leverage they have to negotiate the contracts that LOS offers. DCI is not a huge customer, filling less than 1/2 the stadium, and requiring extremely long days from LOS staff. However, the two ten-year commitments they made, plus the involvement of the city in getting DCI based in Indy during that time should have helped create leverage.

i was also curious if LOS’s failure to provide adequate staffing levels might constitute breach if contract, but if so the damages would not be suffered directly by DCI, just us fans, so DCI wouldn’t pursue it unless they thought they were going to lose fans, as will likely happen with my friends and me. Litigation is costly, and you might not want to press that kind of claim unless  you’re committed to relocating from Indy.

As for contingency plans, I doubt LOS would allow DCI to bring in non-LOS personnel to supplement LOS staff.

I focused this on LOS but yes, we have heard of similar issues at many venues.

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

With all due respect, you are biased. 

Thanks for the respect, Mike. I never claimed not to be, nor did you.

I always appreciate your perspectives on this forum. Our opinions are our own and "do not necessarily reflect those of the management", as they say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Around what year were medals given?  I didn’t get one.  I just stole kept my strap buckle as a memento. 

Jim doesn’t have any medal or patch from 73 or 74.  I think they started giving them out in 1975.  I have one from 76 and 78. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCIat14 said:

The "best experience" and "biggest challenge" is defined by each individual member.  Some would actually disagree that BD is that for them.  For many, it's less about the win, I agree.  What does that corps, the membership, the staff, the experience say to you?  If that doesn't feel like home, it's not for you.  Our son found his home elsewhere & stayed there, by choice & happily.  He is proud to have marched to his corps despite being able to move up.  It was about more than rings and winning, and it always will be.

When they start alternating who gets to practice at the indoor colts field, priority equipment truck parking, etc. I will start believing that favoritism doesn't exist.  The minute the Troopers, Colts, & Academy are allowed the same access as Crown, BD, Bloo, I will buy it.  Until that point, there is no telling me politics doesn't play a HUGE part in ALL of this.  For better or worse, right here right now. 

Eddie’s point is that all people are biased, to think that officials are somehow able to see things in an unbiased way is naive. 

26 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Thanks for the respect, Mike. I never claimed not to be, nor did you.

I always appreciate your perspectives on this forum. Our opinions are our own and "do not necessarily reflect those of the management", as they say.

I claim to be biased. Because it is not possible to be unbiased. I didn’t say this to insult you or anyone, it is a simple fact.