Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Still you should not characterize someone as biased if you know nothing about them.  Even generalizing an entire populous.

I’m not going to engage further.  The season is over, we are on to 2023.  It was a great year.  Stunning really.  Congrats to BD and all corps for one of the most entertains and competitive years we’ve ever seen.  Best wishes to you.

Every human is biased by their experiences and lack thereof. This is inarguable. To somehow believe that judges are not biased is to set up a complete fallacy of outcomes. The way to minimize bias is to point out where bias is perhaps coloring a persons conclusions and balance them with many other qualified judges.

Which is what DCI tries to do. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim doesn’t have any medal or patch from 73 or 74.  I think they started giving them out in 1975.  I have one from 76 and 78. 

Jim marched Kilts?  If so, might have mutual acquaintances/friends (Mike and Tom Pendell).  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Jim marched Kilts?  If so, might have mutual acquaintances/friends (Mike and Tom Pendell).  

Yes, he did.  I’ll ask him later. He’s sleeping in a recliner now.  Long travel day back to Fla. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

I was wondering how much leverage they have to negotiate the contracts that LOS offers. DCI is not a huge customer, filling less than 1/2 the stadium, and requiring extremely long days from LOS staff. However, the two ten-year commitments they made, plus the involvement of the city in getting DCI based in Indy during that time should have helped create leverage.

i was also curious if LOS’s failure to provide adequate staffing levels might constitute breach if contract, but if so the damages would not be suffered directly by DCI, just us fans, so DCI wouldn’t pursue it unless they thought they were going to lose fans, as will likely happen with my friends and me. Litigation is costly, and you might not want to press that kind of claim unless  you’re committed to relocating from Indy.

As for contingency plans, I doubt LOS would allow DCI to bring in non-LOS personnel to supplement LOS staff.

I focused this on LOS but yes, we have heard of similar issues at many venues.

Good points.  I had been thinking LOS staff for things like screening were maybe third parties LOS contracts, such that they can go to others if needed, but maybe not.  

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

I claim to be biased. Because it is not possible to be unbiased. I didn’t say this to insult you or anyone, it is a simple fact.

I did not feel insulted at all. Of course we all come with our own preferences. We are in full agreement on that. It's Sociology 101.

I was simply suggesting that, for the most part, drum corps judges leave these at the door when they enter the stadium.

Consider that most who adjudicate at the highest levels have marched with and taught multiple teams and completed numerous professional development courses to acquire the necessary knowledge, experience and credentials to adjudicate professionally.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Finley - they/he please respect their decision. It's on their Twitter page. 

thank you. as another person who uses they/he pronouns, they are not very well understood or respected where i am. thanks for reminding others. 💙

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

thank you. as another person who uses they/he pronouns, they are not very well understood or respected where i am. thanks for reminding others. 💙

I was looking for the tweet how I found out and saw all the posts. I try to use they normally so I don't feel bad after. Figured since it was being talked about to put it out there. 

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bstar82 said:

I got a feeling they won't have these issues when Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison and Joan Jett are here Tuesday night.

probably will. i was in Disney last month. a shortage of employees led to some food establishments closed, not all characters available and more. HersheyPark on Thursday had spots closed due to staffing issues, and were telling people to arrive earlier than normal for concerts.

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Depends on how that compares with other corps.

well in Texas their 2 corps in WC don't seem to be retaining the top members

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, George Dixon said:

pretty much everywhere is understaffed these days - no one wants to work anymore

Overseers in charge of slaves building the Pyramids/Great Wall of China:  "No one wants to work anymore!!"

SRSLY,  age old complaint about work ethic  LOLOL

• Thanks 1