Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

On 8/13/2022 at 5:49 PM, Liahona said:

Talking about going FULL OUT REGIMENT!!!! That was enough to bring down the house!

YES ! YES! YES!

So freaking exciting hearing that performance!!!

They would have blown the roof off, except Troopers went first and blasted it nearly all the way back to Casper. They wanted a bigger practice hall 😛  Have you seen the tiny building they use in Casper?  I Do think it's cool that there is a community institution of Troopers Bingo  LOL  

Phantom for some reason, has it office in a big warehouse, with no visible signage I can spot.  Sort of makes me sad.

I mean build a huge fricking Chevron statue out front or something!

On 8/13/2022 at 5:50 PM, Continental said:

Ooops

it balances out the LOS marquee listing Phantom as being from Rosemont..

[side note:  have you seen just how tiny Rosemont is ???]

Cavaliers list their HQ as being in the ROsemont Public Safety bldg. WIsh they had at least a placard on the sign outside.

10 hours ago, lawdn said:

I was wondering how much leverage they have to negotiate the contracts that LOS offers. DCI is not a huge customer, filling less than 1/2 the stadium, and requiring extremely long days from LOS staff. However, the two ten-year commitments they made, plus the involvement of the city in getting DCI based in Indy during that time should have helped create leverage.

i was also curious if LOS’s failure to provide adequate staffing levels might constitute breach if contract, but if so the damages would not be suffered directly by DCI, just us fans, so DCI wouldn’t pursue it unless they thought they were going to lose fans, as will likely happen with my friends and me. Litigation is costly, and you might not want to press that kind of claim unless  you’re committed to relocating from Indy.

As for contingency plans, I doubt LOS would allow DCI to bring in non-LOS personnel to supplement LOS staff.

I focused this on LOS but yes, we have heard of similar issues at many venues.

This is not a Lucas Oil issue.  It's a DCI planning & management issue.  

DCI only wants one entrance gate to funnel all fans through the souvenir (marketplace) area & also probably to reduce event staffing cost.  This was also true for the Memphis & Murfreesboro venues for traffic flow through the marketplace. (We didn't experience the long lines @Memphis.)   

I also experienced the "Murfreesboro" incident.  I stayed at the "single" entrance gate waiting on a couple of former students and observed the handling of the situation.  They started with 3-4 scanners & then the DCI guy in charge started to panic.  They added more scanners, including the DCI guy, and eventually had 6-7 folks scanning.  (Some of the MTSU event staff were laughing & shaking their heads at the way DCI was handling their event; I actually talked to a couple of them on their golf carts.) 

The Murfreesboro situation led to a 30-40 minute delayed step off to get the fans through the gate.  After the first two corps had performed, they then had to go into a approx. 45 minute weather delay which made for a much longer night for the school groups in attendance.     

DCI is totally culpable in these situations, excluding weather.  I know the same scenario played out at the Denton event & someone mentioned it happened at another Texas event.

What was really sad were the IMPACT parents that were still in line to enter to watch their children perform in the honor band.  At one point, they started moving those parents to the front & they also went to a short delayed start.  A delayed start at the finals championship event?          

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

This is not a Lucas Oil issue.  It's a DCI planning & management issue.  

DCI only wants one entrance gate to funnel all fans through the souvenir (marketplace) area & also probably to reduce event staffing cost.  This was also true for the Memphis & Murfreesboro venues for traffic flow through the marketplace. (We didn't experience the long lines @Memphis.)   

I also experienced the "Murfreesboro" incident.  I stayed at the "single" entrance gate waiting on a couple of former students and observed the handling of the situation.  They started with 3-4 scanners & then the DCI guy in charge started to panic.  They added more scanners, including the DCI guy, and eventually had 6-7 folks scanning.  (Some of the MTSU event staff were laughing & shaking their heads at the way DCI was handling their event; I actually talked to a couple of them on their golf carts.) 

The Murfreesboro situation led to a 30-40 minute delayed step off to get the fans through the gate.  After the first two corps had performed, they then had to go into a approx. 45 minute weather delay which made for a much longer night for the school groups in attendance.     

DCI is totally culpable in these situations, excluding weather.  I know the same scenario played out at the Denton event & someone mentioned it happened at another Texas event.

What was really sad were the IMPACT parents that were still in line to enter to watch their children perform in the honor band.  At one point, they started moving those parents to the front & they also went to a short delayed start.  A delayed start at the finals championship event?          

I’ve been to rock concerts, MLB playoff games, college football games with over 100,000 people in attendance and I have never seen anything like I saw Saturday night.  It’s a miracle that violence didn’t break out with people on edge.  I’m sure the All-access pass people didn’t have to tolerate that nonsense. Just the people who paid $700+.

Jim went up to get a water and someone with a lanyard tried to sit in his seat.  I said that’s my husband’s seat.  “When is he coming back.” WTF is wrong with these people?  I don’t have to give you a ####### schedule. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve been to rock concerts, MLB playoff games, college football games with over 100,000 people in attendance and I have never seen anything like I saw Saturday night.  It’s a miracle that violence didn’t break out with people on edge.  I’m sure the All-access pass people didn’t have to tolerate that nonsense. Just the people who paid $700+.

Jim went up to get a water and someone with a lanyard tried to sit in his seat.  I said that’s my husband’s seat.  “When is he coming back.” WTF is wrong with these people?  I don’t have to give you a ####### schedule. 

This is getting worse.  Everything from people not dealing in reality (see DCI) to peoples moral compass.  That is a perfect example of what entitlement looks like.

• Like 3

This is the 21st century, yes?..So with all the technological developments since time began, my drum corps family( all you guys) can,t take a ####  in fear of missing their favorite corps after spending ( in many cases) their yearly travel budget, on D.C.I..I have no knowledge of the D.C.I. negotiations for LOS or the physical limitations of LOS..But NO fan should have to decide between going to nature vs. watching the event they paid dearly to see...just my opinion..peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think a lot of the issues recently are because of paperless ticketing. BITD, you would hand the ticket taker your ticket, they would rip it in half, and hand the half with your section/row/seat back to you. Now, they have to wait for people to get their phone out, open the right app to get the QR code for their ticket, and hope the ticket scanner gets the right angle with the scanner gun to properly scan the ticket. Add in the usual issues with cell phone data coverage in large crowded venues, as they try to bring up their electronic tickets, and it has become a mess.

The whole process is way less efficient than using paper tickets. More secure, yes, but less efficient when it comes to gate entry. College football is the same way. Even schools that used to could handle 100,000+ fans, like Alabama and Penn State, have had a horrendous time getting people through the gates and into stadium. They are having to make videos for the fans to show them how to download their tickets and store them in their phone's "wallet app," to expedite the entry process.

So, no, I don't think it is a problem completely unique to LOS, or to DCI events. It is largely a result of the switch to electronic ticketing. Although, having fewer open gates would certainly multiply the inefficiencies, which will certainly need to be addressed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zakhad Utah said:

Overseers in charge of slaves building the Pyramids/Great Wall of China:  "No one wants to work anymore!!"

SRSLY,  age old complaint about work ethic  LOLOL

Oh yeah - that's all it is. Literally everyone in the business world is having the same experiences as my organization but it's just in my imagination. You recruit - pay more than ever - hire someone, they accept your job offer, you confirm them the day prior to their start date, and then they don't show up! Over and over and over. Pretty sure LOS is experiencing the same thing

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I think a lot of the issues recently are because of paperless ticketing. BITD, you would hand the ticket taker your ticket, they would rip it in half, and hand the half with your section/row/seat back to you. Now, they have to wait for people to get their phone out, open the right app to get the QR code for their ticket, and hope the ticket scanner gets the right angle with the scanner gun to properly scan the ticket. Add in the usual issues with cell phone data coverage in large crowded venues, as they try to bring up their electronic tickets, and it has become a mess.

The whole process is way less efficient than using paper tickets. More secure, yes, but less efficient when it comes to gate entry. College football is the same way. Even schools that used to could handle 100,000+ fans, like Alabama and Penn State, have had a horrendous time getting people through the gates and into stadium. They are having to make videos for the fans to show them how to download their tickets and store them in their phone's "wallet app," to expedite the entry process.

So, no, I don't think it is a problem completely unique to LOS, or to DCI events. It is largely a result of the switch to electronic ticketing. Although, having fewer open gates would certainly multiply the inefficiencies, which will certainly need to be addressed.

I heard they weren't even scanning tickets at times. Unless that was just a Thursday/Friday thing. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I had the same issue at the Annapolis, MD show. And the guy w/ a lanyard was very pushy trying to sit in my friends seat (you know, the expensive ones which I PAID FOR) he was trying to push past me to take the seat after I said no, it's taken - I literally had to stand up face to face with the dude and say "it's not available, go steal someone else's seat, because you're not stealing this one" in a very firm manner. 

• Like 5