Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I have to shout out to ALL brass and percussion for outstanding growth in the movement area. I expect great movement skills from the guard but in the past as much as I was glad the rest of the corps attempted some movement and sculpting it was cringe worthy at times and often the same corps to corps.

WOW, this year I was drawn to some pretty great musical and unique body skills from the brass and percussion. Congrats to you all , it was great, entertaining as well as skillfully done. Bravo !

the key is the people designing it seem to finally take into account the limitations certain instruments create. a snare is different than tenors, which is different from basses which is different from a trumpet, mello, bari or tuba.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I have had winter programs work at arenas and their pay went to the org.  and /or their dues. It was a way to fundraise for themselves and they actually always had a great time,,,so they said anyway,

happens at other events too, like WGI events

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_S said:

I had no issues getting in the building, but I definitely relate to this complaint. All night long we had young people in lanyards - ostensibly marching members and staff - who would pop in to the section looking for an available seat. And because those would be hard to find, they'd stay standing right up until the start of the show and until someone had to ask them forcefully to leave.

My section is a popular one, and tickets go for $150 each. Any empty seat is going to belong to someone, and is only open because they're late arriving, or at concessions or the restroom. Which ensures a confrontation when they get there and someone is in their seat. This is poor policy, and something for which I directly blame DCI. I get why staff and performers should be allowed in without having to purchase a ticket. But there needs to be a section set aside for that purpose, or some other plan in place that doesn't promote scavenging. 

That does sound like an issue.  I noticed there weren't people in the upper upper deck when they showed the crowd this year.  In the past, there's some videos that have people up there.   That could be designated MM/staff laynard areas.  But...i suspect since no one was up there, part of the LoS deal was to have that shut off entirely and having it open would incur additonal cost.  Perhaps the sides?   I dunno. They're not optimal seats but they would give a place for those folks to go.  

But that would rely on enforcement as well as people do just wander around looking for seats to scavenge.  

My wife and I work the weekend at the local Nascar track to raise money for my son's band fees. The company at the track has the leadership and organizing staff, and the grunt work is done by "volunteers." We usually work the hospitality catering area, or the luxury suites.

The company then donates a fixed amount of money, per person per day, to the band program. The band director then divides it into the band accounts of the kids who had volunteers working for them.

One kid had his mom, and the wait staff from the restaurant that she usually worked at, volunteer both Saturday and Sunday. Eight workers, times two days, times $120 per person per day, equals nearly $2000 to be applied to band fees (and trip fees).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

My wife and I work the weekend at the local Nascar track to raise money for my son's band fees. The company at the track has the leadership and organizing staff, and the grunt work is done by "volunteers." We usually work the hospitality catering area, or the luxury suites.

The company then donates a fixed amount of money, per person per day, to the band program. The band director then divides it into the band accounts of the kids who had volunteers working for them.

One kid had his mom, and the wait staff from the restaurant that she usually worked at, volunteer both Saturday and Sunday. Eight workers, times two days, times $120 per person per day, equals nearly $2000 to be applied to band fees (and trip fees).

Money well spent

46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the key is the people designing it seem to finally take into account the limitations certain instruments create. a snare is different than tenors, which is different from basses which is different from a trumpet, mello, bari or tuba.

true but i didnt see limitations at all this year.. ( as you say a good designing but also to bring them up to a high quality not just for the sake of doing it )I loved it and was so impressed by so many of them

On 8/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, wvu80 said:

I think if you do your research you'll find that in the past, 10 corps have scored 90 and above.  I don't remember what year but I think it was in the 1980's.

Nope. This was the first time. There have been multiple times 9 corps have scored 90 and above, but never 10 until this season.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, Maleguena1988 said:

What a charge by Bloo in the last two weeks. Epic. 

You know what I think part of it was?

The Sunday before Finals, the Bloo Alumni had a chance to watch the run through of the 2022 corps. From the moment those 400+ alumni sat down, they were showing those kids with love and hype, and the corps fed off of it. The Bluecoats have had a strong bond with their alumni for years, but THIS moment took it to a new level, and the kids used it like a springboard throughout the week.

Right before the run through, Finley, one of the drum majors, yelled that there was 50 years of history behind them and, literally, in front of them that night. You could sense the corps swell with pride at that moment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:43 PM, saxfreq1128 said:

That always confuses me because three CORPS scored better than Crown, but there were only two SCORES above Crown …. Fourth corps fine, but scorewise how is that not third *place*? 

There were three scores above Crown. Two of them happen to be the same.

• Like 1