Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

Cool stat - Blue Devils took overall music with a 29.45. Boston had a 29.275. Bloo had a 29.225. Crown was at a 29.2. SCV had a 28.925.

Insanely close numbers in that music caption! For the spread for 1-4 to be .25 is insane! Then barely half a point between 1st and 5th. Like, check this out:

GE from 1st to 2nd spread: .45. Visual from 1st to 2nd spread: .525. Music spread from 1st TO 5th: .525.

Each corps in that top 5 has very different musical approaches, but they are all truly neck and neck in their performance levels. Seems like in order to win a championship, it comes down to GE and visual performance.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

So many people LOVED Boston this year!! So many people LOVED Bluecoats this year!! They tie and both get silver medals!!!!

We should all be so happy for both of them. Yet people STILL find sh to complain about. DCI will never win with you people. 🙄

Congrats to the Bluecoats on the Fred Sandford Percussion award. There were 4 corps up for that and they took it. And their first performance caption other than GE for them. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Can you explain the formula to me? Is it the use of jazz? Modern dance? Using voiceovers in other languages? White props? I genuinely don't see anything similar to 2019 or other years, other than that they are the Blue Devils.

Look at it this way: when ABBD reuses a sequence (or a drill, sound, idea) it’s lovingly referred to as an Easter Egg. When BD does it, it is called a formula!  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

By this logic, artists whose primary goal is making money — not “expression,” not “art,” but the nuts and bolts of putting food on the table, padding their work in order to make it more monetarily valuable — aren’t artists. They’re checking boxes for money’s sake. Dickens, for example: Wrote longer books when he was being paid by the word, not for the sake of artistic expression, but to make more money. Not an artist? Artists working strictly on commission: Not artists? Are you prepared to agree with that? Because it’s pretty ridiculous, and you shouldn’t. 

The idea that art is only art when it’s untouched by base considerations like competition or commerce or whatever is a very old, very naive, very purist idea. It’s never been true and it never will be. In the first place, looking at what happened on that field last night  and saying it’s not art is silly. Pretending there’s a box that BD checked that every other top corps didn’t also check is even sillier. Yet even you, being silly, could be an artist. Great, isn’t it? 

There is a difference between secondary or ancillary motives for expression being for utility, and primary motives being utility. I clearly made that distinction in my previous reply, which you seem to be trying to distort into an argument I didn't make to make it easier for you to attack. Most musical expression has some sort of utility (screen scoring being a clear example), however when the primary motive is something other than expression (competition, money, advertisement), it ceases being art, and becomes something else (be it commerce, or competition, or whatever). You stating that this has never been true, does not make it this way. 

...and yes, I am an artist thank you. Not for my comments here, but by virtue of being a professional composer with a PhD in music composition and theory. Motivation, venue, and medium matter. It's silly to pretend they don't, and nothing that happens on the field at DCI, or BOA, or WGI, or any other venue where the primary driver is competition, is art. Sorry bout it. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chrisn96 said:

Silver is not a slot, it’s an award for 2nd place. I can’t think of a single competitive event that’s gives third place to someone that’s has three people/groups in front of them. 

In the world of motorcycle cross country dirt racing the world championships is called the ISDE, International Six Days Enduro.  Gold, silver and bronze medals are given in each class, 125, 250, 450 etc. 

The winner of each class establishes the high score.  There is a winner because in the end someone crosses the finish line in first, second, third, etc.

The winner gets gold, as does all other competitors who finish within 10% of the winner.  Silver is 20%, bronze is 30%.  Excellence is rewarded for performance and recognized with a medal reflecting that level.

I've often thought drum corps should do the same, particularly in an activity which is subjectively evaluated.  Two drum corps which finish within a few thousands of a point are functionally equal to each other.

I feel I am alone with that idea when it comes to drum corps.  It's not tradition but it's also not a crazy thought.  The ISDE (it was the ISDT [Trail] when I competed) has been around long before DCI.

Who's with me?!?! 

(sounds of crickets chirping...)

Edited by wvu80

10 hours ago, CFC1905 said:

BD doesn’t make art. Calm down. 

You have officially reached troll status. Congrats. 

notexcited-not-into-it.gif

• Like 5

8 hours ago, 27Socal said:

What the hell.  Give the bronze to Crown anyway.  They deserved it.

I doubt Crown wants a pity medal. Look at the Olympics, do you ever see a bronze rewarded when there are two silvers on the stand? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chris1980 said:

Such an interesting discussion. As an old time fan of DCI, I remember when corps were expected to have a distinct style and identity that carried over from year to year. Many corps repeated openers, closers, or even entire shows. Anyone remember when Spirit of Atlanta came out in the 80s with a Stravinsky show and got crucified by the fans? 

In a lot of ways, other than the Cadets and maybe phantom, BD is one of the most “old school” corps out there

• Like 2