Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

5 hours ago, Chris1980 said:

... As an old time fan of DCI, I remember when corps were expected to have a distinct style and identity that carried over from year to year.

Many corps repeated openers, closers, or even entire shows

I'm from that era and I remember how "original" the corps were 70-80's.  You had the opener, park 'n bark, drum break, closer.  The Big Corps might do a re-entry.  EVERY SINGLE CORPS copied this formula.  Boring.

As you said, the corps would bring over half the show from the last year.  They could really get execution points on those two year-old chunks.  Then different endings, and voila! Instant champion!  Boring. 

Historical Note: Garfield Cadets changed all that by dumping every tune from their 1983 championship year to an ALL NEW show for 1984's West Side Story AND THEY WON.  Things just became more interesting as all the losing corps copied the winner.

You gain some new things, you lose some of the tradition.  Had the corps not changed with the times they would be out of business by now.  Change IS tradition.

Is a drum corps show better now? 

You be the judge.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

For a fan base whose favorite corps just won ANOTHER championship - they sure are a whiney bunch 🤣

Grow some thicker skin (would be my advice) - calling a formulaic show "a formulaic show" is nothing but calling a spade a spade. The complaining about the Blue Devils is literally NOTHING compared to the whining about the Cadets in the 80s, or Star in the early 90s.

I really don’t let it bother me, George!   As the only female in a large office, i have developed a really thick skin, along with a truly warped sense of humor!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Cappybara said:
1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

but by virtue of being a professional composer with a PhD in music composition and theory.

I really do love the appeal to authority fallacy 

There is in argumentative logic something called appeal to authority, but that's not what this is ^^^.  By laying out his credentials Mr. Marimba is laying out the fact that he is not some back hills hick in the stands with an opinion.  That would describe me.  🤣

If he said "believe me BECAUSE I have a PhD" then that would be appeals to authority.  Instead he intelligently laid out his thoughts.  If one respects academic achievement as I do, it matters. 

It doesn't mean we all have to agree with the Big Brain, but I do think we should respect the alphabet soup letters behind his name that he has earned.  It's fair game to challenge his thoughts pointing out where opinions differ.

I believe Mr. Marimba would respect that.

Edited by wvu80
  • Thanks 2