Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

Just now, wvu80 said:

There is in argumentative logic something called appeal to authority, but that's not what this is ^^^.  By laying out his credentials Mr. Marimba is laying out the fact that he is not some back hills hick in the stands with an opinion.  That would describe me.  🤣

If he said "believe me BECAUSE I have a PhD" then that would be appeals to authority.  Instead he intelligently laid out his thoughts.  If one respects academic achievement as I do, it matters.  It doesn't mean we all have to agree with the Big Brain, but I do think we should respect the alphabet soup letters behind his name that has earned and then if needed, challenge his points pointing out where opinions differ. 

I believe Mr. Marimba would respect that.

That normally is true, but not in something that is as subjective as art. I have fancy letters after my name and have gone through 5+ years of education post undergrad too, so I get it. But any appeal to authority in an argument as subjective as what is considered to be art is fallacious 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

But any appeal to authority in an argument as subjective as what is considered to be art is fallacious 

Fair enough.

+++

Minor Thread Drift:  I like your list of favorite 2022 shows.  You have Phantom second on your list.  I loved Phantom's show this year.

But you forgot to include Crown... 😄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Fair enough.

+++

Minor Thread Drift:  I like your list of favorite 2022 shows.  You have Phantom second on your list.  I loved Phantom's show this year.

But you forgot to include Crown... 😄

My list is actually in no specific order, I think If I had revise it into an ordered list I’d go 

1. Bluecoats

2. Phantom

3. Blue Devils 

4. Boston Crusaders

5. Troopers 

6. Cadets 

Unfortunately SCV’s show has become a bit too repetitive for me 😞 and as much as I love the music book for Crown, the cheese was a bit too much for me this year 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I really feel like the judges got everything correct in the end - a terrific percussion performance by Bluecoats was recognized - Boston's outstanding guard - and Devils being the best corps in 2022

Thanks to all the marching members for your efforts & energy, and a shoutout to all who supported those efforts

I felt DCI's "50th anniversary" efforts were just so-so. Hopefully they'll work with LOS to improve service & staffing next year!

As finals week progressed it became pretty clear the accurate ranking of corps. The only quibbles I have were the huge drop for Cavaliers (extremely rare in this activity) and Crown not being given more credit for their work apart from what I feel was a fundamentally limiting show concept.

But, the top 12 were fairly clear after watching three days of the same shows.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My list is actually in no specific order, I think If I had revise it into an ordered list I’d go 

1. Bluecoats

2. Phantom

3. Blue Devils 

4. Boston Crusaders

5. Troopers 

6. Cadets 

Unfortunately SCV’s show has become a bit too repetitive for me 😞 and as much as I love the music book for Crown, the cheese was a bit too much for me this year 

I’m really surprised you have BD third and Phantom second. Explain?

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I think it's an order of preference.

But I'd love to hear extensive arguments for why BD should've been third behind Regiment.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Phantom and Crown are the corps that got me into DCI back when I was in high school. I do LOVE BD’s design direction from 2008 onwards and that’s why I am such a BD honk now as phantom and crown have lost their way a bit. 

But I am a huge sucker for phantom’s classical style and history and this show is quintessential phantom. I think this year’s BD show is great, but a step down from BD’s previous productions 

• Like 2

When I watched live broadcast and now while watching the replay, I noticed a horrible echo when the Commandant's Own marched in. 

I've never marched in LOS.  I wonder if the kids marching can hear an echo?

Want to give praise to the expedited retreat…love the visual of corps flooding in from all four corners…and that the Marines are not stuck playing for 1/2 hour straight (although I love them). Can’t recall if this is new procedure or if it happened within last few years (last here in 2019). 

• Like 2