Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

Just now, Liahona said:

NO.  This is incorrect.  Repealed in 2009.

tie-breaker-policy

I recalled the incorrect post and not the correction. I'll correct it 

2 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Even note for note transcriptions of segments of pieces, are still being removed from their initial venue, initial instrumentation (usually), and truncated to be appropriate for the competitive venues, time limits, spatial limitations, and competitive needs. Those corps took existing artistic expression, and shoehorned it into a narrow competitive medium. It's dissecting previous artistic forms and creating competitive exercises with the leftover pieces. 

What the members are doing on the field is amazing, in terms of being able to execute utilitarian musical vignettes and movement with increasing levels of excellence, but it's not art. It's closer to a sport, than it is art. There is nothing wrong with that, but there is a difference. 

There are drum corps versions of songs that I would rather listen to than their original or any other prior versions.  They made something beautiful no one had made before.  

The fact they did so working within constraints doesn’t disqualify its artistic beauty.  

And don’t give me any “primarily” distinction because you came on here making an absolute argument.  When you try to fall back on “primarily” you have lost the argument.  

Dickens wrote some extremely long passages that are absolutely amazing in their beauty.  For all I know his primary objective may well have been the utility of putting food on the table.  That does nothing to negate his art.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, bobjective said:

if I were a great musician and had the physical ability, I would have to say that I would do everything in my power to march with BD, unless winning a title was not really at the top of what I wanted out of the experience.

Speaking just for a few kids I personally know that marched this year, they had the ability, and some the opportunity, to march with BD, and they all chose other corps... it's not always about winning with these kids.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnDF said:

Speaking just for a few kids I personally know that marched this year, they had the ability, and some the opportunity, to march with BD, and they all chose other corps... it's not always about winning with these kids.

That's good to know. Sometimes it's proximity, sometimes it's cost and sometimes it's just where your head and heart tell you you need to go. I think it may be surprising to some of the kids where you find "home" especially if your first pick doesn't pick you. It's a growth experience like none other for sure. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ironlips said:

'...the great basketball coach Eddie Fogler, when asked if officials are biased:

“Every official knows who is supposed to win.”

If one attempts to apply this to drum corps, the "great" Eddie Fogler is full of it.

Odds makers do not determine results in this activity. Performers do.

That said, there once was a time when bias was rampant in drum corps adjudication, particularly at "National" competitions. DCI was formed in part to counter this and has been quite successful for the past 50 years.

With all due respect, you are biased. 

24 minutes ago, chrisn96 said:

Those schools dominate because of the coaches they hire.  Those same schools have had down periods when they made bad hires, except for Duke who is changing coaches for the first time in decades. I never thought I would see the Cadets and Cavaliers fall to non-contenders and have a year where BAC, Bloo and Crown were all in the top 4, but time leads to change. 

The coaches they hire go there because they are paid more and have more opportunities to win.