Saturday, August 13th 5:30 PM ET “DCI World Championship Finals” Lucas Oil Stadium Indianapolis, Indiana

1 hour ago, Precious Roy said:

I think a lot of the issues recently are because of paperless ticketing. BITD, you would hand the ticket taker your ticket, they would rip it in half, and hand the half with your section/row/seat back to you. Now, they have to wait for people to get their phone out, open the right app to get the QR code for their ticket, and hope the ticket scanner gets the right angle with the scanner gun to properly scan the ticket. Add in the usual issues with cell phone data coverage in large crowded venues, as they try to bring up their electronic tickets, and it has become a mess.

The whole process is way less efficient than using paper tickets. More secure, yes, but less efficient when it comes to gate entry. College football is the same way. Even schools that used to could handle 100,000+ fans, like Alabama and Penn State, have had a horrendous time getting people through the gates and into stadium. They are having to make videos for the fans to show them how to download their tickets and store them in their phone's "wallet app," to expedite the entry process.

So, no, I don't think it is a problem completely unique to LOS, or to DCI events. It is largely a result of the switch to electronic ticketing. Although, having fewer open gates would certainly multiply the inefficiencies, which will certainly need to be addressed.

That’s some of it, I’m sure.  But there are also things like not having enough gates open after the show either.  

1 hour ago, Precious Roy said:

I think a lot of the issues recently are because of paperless ticketing. BITD, you would hand the ticket taker your ticket, they would rip it in half, and hand the half with your section/row/seat back to you. Now, they have to wait for people to get their phone out, open the right app to get the QR code for their ticket, and hope the ticket scanner gets the right angle with the scanner gun to properly scan the ticket. Add in the usual issues with cell phone data coverage in large crowded venues, as they try to bring up their electronic tickets, and it has become a mess.

The whole process is way less efficient than using paper tickets. More secure, yes, but less efficient when it comes to gate entry. College football is the same way. Even schools that used to could handle 100,000+ fans, like Alabama and Penn State, have had a horrendous time getting people through the gates and into stadium. They are having to make videos for the fans to show them how to download their tickets and store them in their phone's "wallet app," to expedite the entry process.

So, no, I don't think it is a problem completely unique to LOS, or to DCI events. It is largely a result of the switch to electronic ticketing. Although, having fewer open gates would certainly multiply the inefficiencies, which will certainly need to be addressed.

yes i have seen this being an issue too, especially since people don't prepare with their device until the last second

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I heard they weren't even scanning tickets at times. Unless that was just a Thursday/Friday thing. 

That's frequently the last ditch "solution" to get everybody through the gates. I've seen that happen at some sporting events and concerts as well.

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard from a little bird this morning that a lot of DCI parking volunteers are not returning next season. Something like 90%.

I volunteered for parking duty at a show once (not Nat’s) and it was frustrating.  And this was corps parking.  We made it so easy but people didn’t listen.  And all corps were emailed in advance the directions to the show and parking.  Some were good, a few were jerks and some just didn’t pay attention and did dumb stuff.  I never did parking again. And this was just corps parking.  How can you not know the size of your trucks?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I volunteered for parking duty at a show once (not Nat’s) and it was frustrating.  And this was corps parking.  We made it so easy but people didn’t listen.  And all corps were emailed in advance the directions to the show and parking.  Some were good, a few were jerks and some just didn’t pay attention and did dumb stuff.  I never did parking again. And this was just corps parking.  How can you not know the size of your trucks?

The little bird who told me was an absolute pro at corps parking for DCI.  Did it for decades. He no longer does it. 

• Sad 1