2023 Season Predictions

On 9/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, really4325 said:

We have decent amount of vets returning. Some of which are returning even after marching with top 12 groups in 22. And we also have people returning that haven't been with the corps since 2019.

I was impressed by the hiring manager they brought in for the ED recruitment process. Wishing them all the best in their return.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

I think questionable design choices had a lot to do with the placement as well. Hopefully this new team will be ready for the challenge. 

Covid didn't hurt SCV or Bluecoats placenet, so you may be onto something.

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Troop was bitten hard by Covid too and roared from behind to make finals.   Cavies' design things were a real thing, I think.    Particularly with the visual design.  There were cool drill moments and such but the show was compressed and didn't seem to stage as well as shows that finished above them.  

Whether they could have implmented rewrites during the season without the covid hit is a legit question to ponder, but it seems the days of doing "major rewrites in response to judging feedback" are long gone.  Adding layers and details is planned in advance and the teaching on the tour goes toward those elements it seems.  The idea of 'redoing the drill to make more use of the field" would have been far more drastic than layering and adding.

9 hours ago, boxingfred said:

Before their covid/concussion breakout Cavaliers were in 5/6 place. two weeks of less than full practices and missed shows hurt their progress. I predict Cavaliers will be in the top half of finalist in 2023.

They weren't ready for the season opener.  Its an excuse to keep using covid when so many groups had the same thing this year.  Phantom pulled out of a weeks worth of shows and beat them at finals.  The show reached as far as the members could go and lacked on the design side.  Now who knows what a whole new staff can do but they also have familiar faces coming back.    But when you drop you also have a high chance of losing vets so its going to be harder to jump right back.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

SCV or Bluecoats didn't have it as bad as Cavies. I think the count was 35 kids out with covid, 12 kids in concussion protocol at the same time. Not to mention a hand full of kids out with various other things. Cavies also had a music copyright thing at the beginning of the season that prevented them from doing the ending. Who knows what could have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LabMaster said:

And on the other hand, I think there are books that didn’t get the credit because of judge positioning.  It may take a while for each to max positioning for the perc to be read properly and judges to position themselves to read it all properly.  But I could be way off base too. Admittedly I’m not a perc guy.

Percussion judges belong on the field.

Let me say it again.

Percussion judges belong on the field. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, boxingfred said:

Before their covid/concussion breakout Cavaliers were in 5/6 place. two weeks of less than full practices and missed shows hurt their progress. I predict Cavaliers will be in the top half of finalist in 2023.

With that much turnover? That's a bold prediction. I predict closer to 8-9th 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

If Rosemont had been healthy, it wouldn't have fixed the problems of an incoherent concept and a remarkably poor visual design. Starting fresh in all of the captions who underperformed the talent of the corps was the necessary route. It'll likely get better, since it can't get much worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

If Rosemont had been healthy, it wouldn't have fixed the problems of an incoherent concept and a remarkably poor visual design. Starting fresh in all of the captions who underperformed the talent of the corps was the necessary route. It'll likely get better, since it can't get much worse.

Oh, it can always get worse.  Ask Madison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1