2023 Season Predictions

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

DCI's fall planning meeting Notes:

https://www.dci.org/news/notes-from-dcis-fall-planning-meeting?fbclid=IwAR0TJM8-Kk56Ji-PcTUCN4ARskoGPO7_FeuK5H-qq4f67SWsRhddZQU9lSo

2023 tour schedule section:

A sizable chunk of the annual fall meeting focuses on the upcoming summer season’s tour schedule, as the collective works to determine which corps will travel where and for which events.

Early drafts of the schedule indicate that the shape and form of the 2023 DCI Tour will mirror that of the 2022 summer season relatively closely, with minor changes throughout, based on venue availability and other logistical and scheduling considerations.

The 2023 DCI Tour schedule is anticipated to be released in its entirety to the public just prior to Thanksgiving on Wednesday, November 23.

Ahhh yes.  Back in the rut.  

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ahhh yes.  Back in the rut.  

I take it MMs were not asked about corps safety and health concerns?  

Corps directors were presented with initial findings from the survey. Notable bullet points included:

• More performers than ever (97%) are the first member of their family to participate in the drum corps art form.
  • 74% of corps members are 18 years old or older.
  • More than half of those performing in 2022 are or will be studying music education and/or performance at the collegiate level.
  • The three most common ways that current performers are introduced to drum corps are:
    • Viewing performances online
    • Recommendation of a band director
    • Referral from a friend

• 3 weeks later...

After digesting all the staff moves, I'll take a swag...

1.  Bluecoats - all star staff just got better, and they have huge momentum & enthusiasm.

2.  Blue Devils - hard to imagine them not in the top 2, but BAC will give them a run

3. Boston Crusaders - technically great - but I still fell like the shows after Wicked games have been generally too dry, lacking emotional connection except for a few GE highlights.  As much as I want them to, they don't move me.

4.  Crown - so much latent potential not being optimized.  Still waiting for a great show design.  There hasn't been one since the Western Show.  I'm going to vomit if we get another "right here, right now" oriented show.

5.  SCV - The formula is fading & they miss JD

6.  Phantom Regiment - amongst the group of Cadets, Cavies and Phantom, Phantom has the least turmoil and their changes were strategic and needed.  Will be a big battle with Blue Stars.  In JD I trust!!!

7.  Blue Stars - Will hold on to their highest modern placement from last year, and could easily be 6th. 

8.  Cadets - hard to imagine their upward trajectory continuing with the continued soap opera with staff & leadership, and financial challenges

9.  Mandarins- Could easily be 8th.  They just get better every year.  

10. Cavies - a bit of a wild card.  Immense turnover is a huge negative, but Saucedo should help.  Not as much as some think though, I don't believe.

11-14.  This get's really tricky.  

• Do Troopers rise with performance levels and can earn a finals spot with what will inevitably be a step back from 2022's incredibly designed show?  There's almost no way to top that show design, but plenty of room for performance growth and maturity.  I fear they'll suffer with the follow up just as did Academy, but hoping they don't.  
  • Colts seem to have found a great formula to maximize performance levels.  Can they fill out a full corps and sustain that, bringing more power to the field in 2023?  
  • BK seems to have a solid underlying foundation but unproven staff leadership.  I think some of the design team changes could help.
  • Crossmen have so much internal strife.  Yet they sit in Texas with a ton of talent to draw from.  Can they unite internally and deliver a far better show design to match their talent?
  • My guess...  BK - 11th, Crossmen - 12th, Troopers -13th, Colts - 14th

Harvey

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

After digesting all the staff moves, I'll take a swag...

1.  Bluecoats - all star staff just got better, and they have huge momentum & enthusiasm.

2.  Blue Devils - hard to imagine them not in the top 2, but BAC will give them a run

3. Boston Crusaders - technically great - but I still fell like the shows after Wicked games have been generally too dry, lacking emotional connection except for a few GE highlights.  As much as I want them to, they don't move me.

4.  Crown - so much latent potential not being optimized.  Still waiting for a great show design.  There hasn't been one since the Western Show.  I'm going to vomit if we get another "right here, right now" oriented show.

5.  SCV - The formula is fading & they miss JD

6.  Phantom Regiment - amongst the group of Cadets, Cavies and Phantom, Phantom has the least turmoil and their changes were strategic and needed.  Will be a big battle with Blue Stars.  In JD I trust!!!

7.  Blue Stars - Will hold on to their highest modern placement from last year, and could easily be 6th. 

8.  Cadets - hard to imagine their upward trajectory continuing with the continued soap opera with staff & leadership, and financial challenges

9.  Mandarins- Could easily be 8th.  They just get better every year.  

10. Cavies - a bit of a wild card.  Immense turnover is a huge negative, but Saucedo should help.  Not as much as some think though, I don't believe.

11-14.  This get's really tricky.  

• Do Troopers rise with performance levels and can earn a finals spot with what will inevitably be a step back from 2022's incredibly designed show?  There's almost no way to top that show design, but plenty of room for performance growth and maturity.  I fear they'll suffer with the follow up just as did Academy, but hoping they don't.  
  • Colts seem to have found a great formula to maximize performance levels.  Can they fill out a full corps and sustain that, bringing more power to the field in 2023?  
  • BK seems to have a solid underlying foundation but unproven staff leadership.  I think some of the design team changes could help.
  • Crossmen have so much internal strife.  Yet they sit in Texas with a ton of talent to draw from.  Can they unite internally and deliver a far better show design to match their talent?
  • My guess...  BK - 11th, Crossmen - 12th, Troopers -13th, Colts - 14th

Harvey

Troopers will be interesting.  They are trying hard to build on 2022 success.  

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Troopers will be interesting.  They are trying hard to build on 2022 success.  

And I'm both rooting for them and supporting them.

• Like 2

i would love to see a Bloo win in 23, though i may be biased, considering how much time i have spent practicing for my audition coming up 😉

in reality, i would not be shocked to see Bloo take it home, they have reinforced greatly their already existing staff this year, and the morale of the members seems to be at an all time high. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Stop playing on the internet & go practice.

I tossed the old Premier HTS on the stand the other day and tried to practice for about 30 mins. I quickly remembered that it ain't like ridin' a bike. At the ripe old age of 50, the mind is strong but the hands are unwilling.....

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

i would love to see a Bloo win in 23, though i may be biased, considering how much time i have spent practicing for my audition coming up 😉

in reality, i would not be shocked to see Bloo take it home, they have reinforced greatly their already existing staff this year, and the morale of the members seems to be at an all time high. 

It's always possible with Bloo. I loved their show this past year even though it isn't my style of drum corps really. But you gotta appreciate what these cats are putting out there in the top 12 especially. 

• Like 1