2023 Season Predictions

On 10/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Troopers will be interesting.  They are trying hard to build on 2022 success.  

I always remember Troopers and 27th being my fathers favorites (along with PR.) Granted he wasn't a musician by any means, but he loved the look of those two corps. I do though think he genuinely appreciated what all the corps put out on the field. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I tossed the old Premier HTS on the stand the other day and tried to practice for about 30 mins. I quickly remembered that it ain't like ridin' a bike. At the ripe old age of 50, the mind is strong but the hands are unwilling.....

Mine's a 1971 Rogers Dynasonic. Definitely need the stand. I ain't carrying around this gargantuan thing and marching around the basement. Talk about losing your chops over the years, geesh. The basics are still there and all the rudiments played, but anything faster than 128 BPM, fuggitabout it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I always remember Troopers and 27th being my fathers favorites (along with PR.) Granted he wasn't a musician by any means, but he loved the look of those two corps. I do though think he genuinely appreciated what all the corps put out on the field. 

All of those plus the Cavaliers my Dad always enjoyed. He didn't get to see much of today's corps, but the few times we watched video of recent DCIs, he wasn't as overwhelmed by today's corps, their instruments, props etc as many are. He knew at heart, the more things change, the more they stay the same. 

• Like 3

On 10/28/2022 at 1:05 PM, TexasPRfan said:

After digesting all the staff moves, I'll take a swag...

1.  Bluecoats - all star staff just got better, and they have huge momentum & enthusiasm.

2.  Blue Devils - hard to imagine them not in the top 2, but BAC will give them a run

3. Boston Crusaders - technically great - but I still fell like the shows after Wicked games have been generally too dry, lacking emotional connection except for a few GE highlights.  As much as I want them to, they don't move me.

4.  Crown - so much latent potential not being optimized.  Still waiting for a great show design.  There hasn't been one since the Western Show.  I'm going to vomit if we get another "right here, right now" oriented show.

5.  SCV - The formula is fading & they miss JD

6.  Phantom Regiment - amongst the group of Cadets, Cavies and Phantom, Phantom has the least turmoil and their changes were strategic and needed.  Will be a big battle with Blue Stars.  In JD I trust!!!

7.  Blue Stars - Will hold on to their highest modern placement from last year, and could easily be 6th. 

8.  Cadets - hard to imagine their upward trajectory continuing with the continued soap opera with staff & leadership, and financial challenges

9.  Mandarins- Could easily be 8th.  They just get better every year.  

10. Cavies - a bit of a wild card.  Immense turnover is a huge negative, but Saucedo should help.  Not as much as some think though, I don't believe.

11-14.  This get's really tricky.  

• Do Troopers rise with performance levels and can earn a finals spot with what will inevitably be a step back from 2022's incredibly designed show?  There's almost no way to top that show design, but plenty of room for performance growth and maturity.  I fear they'll suffer with the follow up just as did Academy, but hoping they don't.  
  • Colts seem to have found a great formula to maximize performance levels.  Can they fill out a full corps and sustain that, bringing more power to the field in 2023?  
  • BK seems to have a solid underlying foundation but unproven staff leadership.  I think some of the design team changes could help.
  • Crossmen have so much internal strife.  Yet they sit in Texas with a ton of talent to draw from.  Can they unite internally and deliver a far better show design to match their talent?
  • My guess...  BK - 11th, Crossmen - 12th, Troopers -13th, Colts - 14th

Harvey

I think  you really covered this well, though I could see Phantom making their way into the top 5. This offseason for them has been just continuos wins!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Mine's a 1971 Rogers Dynasonic. Definitely need the stand. I ain't carrying around this gargantuan thing and marching around the basement. Talk about losing your chops over the years, geesh. The basics are still there and all the rudiments played, but anything faster than 128 BPM, fuggitabout it. 

I have a Ludwig Vistalite 12x14" in green. But I am always afraid to play on it because it might literally explode LOL. I have a Rodgers "concert" snare with the Dynasonic strainer (I think it's a 7 line if I remember...haven't taken it out in a decade or so) and my ol' pride and joy, a 1958 Radio King 4 piece set that my father and grandfather managed to find and gave me for Christmas when I was 13 or 14 (and of COURSE it's white marine pearl because what else would it be,) and I have a set of Ludwig quints.

I HAVE a carrier or two SOMEWHERE upstairs but pretty much the same. I am absolutely not going to strap on the pigs at this age unless it's for an alumni show LOL. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm usually one of the Blue Stars toughest critics and biggest supporters. If they can get that percussion caption up to the level of the brass and guard; they could definitely be in the running for 6th place. In terms of a best guess placement; I'd venture 6th place, tops, and 8th place, at the very least. If there is one thing that stands out with the Blue Stars is that they play to the sheets while still using the entire football field as a stage. There aren't too many corps that are able to pull that off with their show designs.
Some have stated that it might be time for the corps to move on from Kevin Ford's drill designs and I have to 110% disagree. He has continuously written amazing drill for the Blue Stars and that has been a big part of their success and keeping the corps as a fixture in the Top 12 since their return to World Class status...save 2006, 2007, and 2012. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My parents would go to a show and say you guys were good but we really liked Phantom.  Lol thanks, mom and dad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My parents would go to a show and say you guys were good but we really liked Phantom.  Lol thanks, mom and dad. 

LOL. 1987 DCI Finals. Dad finds me by the buses after finals and says "You guys did great. But that opening Cadets hit gave me chills..."

Thank pops LOL. Glad our meh performance paled in comparison to the freakin' awesomeness of 1987 Cadets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. 1987 DCI Finals. Dad finds me by the buses after finals and says "You guys did great. But that opening Cadets hit gave me chills..."

Thank pops LOL. Glad our meh performance paled in comparison to the freakin' awesomeness of 1987 Cadets. 

I get it.  They were vying for a championship all of the years I was in Guardsmen. We weren’t in that rarified air but still… come on, mom and dad.

Rest In Peace, dream crushers!   Just kidding. They meant well. 😉

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Rest In Peace, dream crushers!   Just kidding. They meant well. 😉

LOL. I feel the same way. I think a lot about Dad in the later years when we started watching the PBS and ESPN broadcasts again together. I think the last show I showed him was 2016 Bloo and his sentiment was basically "Glad that wasn't you because you would have fallen over and broken every bone in your body" and he was 100000% correct. Miss ya' papa LOL. 

• Like 4