2023 Season Predictions

15 hours ago, ediblewaffles said:

I think  you really covered this well, though I could see Phantom making their way into the top 5. This offseason for them has been just continuos wins!

Which current top 5 corps do you see dropping down a spot or two?

9 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

my ol' pride and joy, a 1958 Radio King 4 piece set that my father and grandfather managed to find and gave me for Christmas when I was 13 or 14 (and of COURSE it's white marine pearl because what else would it be,)

A ways back I played drums with some buddies in a weekend bar band, and played on a 4-piece Radio King set that the lead guitarist had set up in his basement practice studio. He had inherited it from an uncle who played the jazz circuit. The kick drum was the longest sucker I had ever seen; it was longer, from head to head, than the diameter of the shell. Looked (and sounded) like a cannon. The snare was deep, with  warped hoops and a twang. The hardware for the single mounted tom was . . . fuggedabhoudit. Still had the original 1940s-50s era cases. Had a lot of fun, and probably damaged my hearing for life, playing it with those guys.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

I didn't make my first prediction until late May, after I had spent a full week in Vermont with BAC.  On 5/29/22, in the 2022 Predictions thread, here is what I had: BD, BAC, BLOO, CROWN, SCV, CADETS.   Hopefully, when I do get around to making this year's prognostications, they won't be met with as much derision.  But I will wait until late May again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

SCV

Unfortunately, they're on the down trend as of late, so it is possible.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, ediblewaffles said:

I think  you really covered this well, though I could see Phantom making their way into the top 5. This offseason for them has been just continuos wins!

I would LOVE to see that happen.  And I do think Phantom takes a leap forward again (for the 3rd consecutive show since "I am Moan" - not a typo).  However, DCI tends to have a "pay your dues" to upward corps trajectory, and we all know how competitive the current top 5 are.  And Vanguard will still be a percussion juggernaut (and it's really hard to root against SCV - Like most fans, they have a special place in my heart regardless of who my favorite corps is).  BAC is a great example of the pay you dues and the judges catch up to eventually - They leapt up in show design, talent and execution with Wicked Games, but then essentially pedaled in place for a few years until the rocket ship this past summer.

I (and I think many) would be thrilled to see Phantom to rise from barely 8th and could have been 10th (not should have been, but could have been) to 6th in 2023.    On their last climb back it went 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 1st.  The closer to the top you get, the harder it gets to go move.  I do believe they are assembling all the right pieces, and I trust JD will get them back into the top 5 sooner rather than later.  I just think it's 2024, assuming the rebuilt and re-vitalized org keeps the drama to a minimum, keeps the great design and teaching pieces they've picked up and continues to improve the competitiveness of their financial bottom line.  I trust JD to continue to drive the corps forward musically and competitively while bring the fans enthusiastically along.  

Harvey

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

I would LOVE to see that happen.  And I do think Phantom takes a leap forward again (for the 3rd consecutive show since "I am Moan" - not a typo).  However, DCI tends to have a "pay your dues" to upward corps trajectory, and we all know how competitive the current top 5 are.  And Vanguard will still be a percussion juggernaut (and it's really hard to root against SCV - Like most fans, they have a special place in my heart regardless of who my favorite corps is).  BAC is a great example of the pay you dues and the judges catch up to eventually - They leapt up in show design, talent and execution with Wicked Games, but then essentially pedaled in place for a few years until the rocket ship this past summer.

I (and I think many) would be thrilled to see Phantom to rise from barely 8th and could have been 10th (not should have been, but could have been) to 6th in 2023.    On their last climb back it went 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 1st.  The closer to the top you get, the harder it gets to go move.  I do believe they are assembling all the right pieces, and I trust JD will get them back into the top 5 sooner rather than later.  I just think it's 2024, assuming the rebuilt and re-vitalized org keeps the drama to a minimum, keeps the great design and teaching pieces they've picked up and continues to improve the competitiveness of their financial bottom line.  I trust JD to continue to drive the corps forward musically and competitively while bring the fans enthusiastically along.  

Harvey

I do expect that the Cavaliers will recover a bit too, but not back to 5th. Next year is supposed to be a big anniversary year for them, so who knows how things will go for the Cavaliers. If history holds true, and the last 9th place they ended up with a 5th place the next year, the Cavaliers will bounce back with an improved position over 2022.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:36 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

A ways back I played drums with some buddies in a weekend bar band, and played on a 4-piece Radio King set that the lead guitarist had set up in his basement practice studio. He had inherited it from an uncle who played the jazz circuit. The kick drum was the longest sucker I had ever seen; it was longer, from head to head, than the diameter of the shell. Looked (and sounded) like a cannon. The snare was deep, with  warped hoops and a twang. The hardware for the single mounted tom was . . . fuggedabhoudit. Still had the original 1940s-50s era cases. Had a lot of fun, and probably damaged my hearing for life, playing it with those guys.

The Radio Kings even up into the 50's had a GIGANTIC 24" kick that was super deep and a big 18" floor. I remember well that janky hoop mounted rack tom holder....LOL. Mine still had calf heads on it when I got it and that big gnarly mechanical bass drum sound dampener. It was a great kit but VERY fat sounding. My favorite kit I had was a Wilson Customs club kit (now Punkinater Drums) that Ward and I built together in Champagne Sparkle. 

6 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I predict a season long battle for fifth place between SCV, PR, BS and Cadets. On Saturday night it will be PR vs BS

This actually sounds realistic

• Like 1