2023 Season Predictions

2 hours ago, boxingfred said:

If BD wins they are repeat champions. Everything got reset in 2020. Devils didn't field a corps in 2021 while other corps helped to maintain interest in the activity. I wish I could take two years off my job and claim my 3-year bonus or be out for an extended sick leave and claim perfect attendance at school. The Blue Devils are good enough to earn a Three-Pete the right way.

Did you take two years off on your own accord.............or did your company have to shut down for two years because of unforeseen circumstances that was beyond their or anyone else's control?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, boxingfred said:

If BD wins they are repeat champions. Everything got reset in 2020. Devils didn't field a corps in 2021 while other corps helped to maintain interest in the activity. I wish I could take two years off my job and claim my 3-year bonus or be out for an extended sick leave and claim perfect attendance at school. The Blue Devils are good enough to earn a Three-Pete the right way.

Suppose BD did field a show in 2021. Would that change the fact that there was no championship to win? I’m not sure why we’re making this about who “helped maintain interest in the activity” or not. But FWIW: You’re mistaken that BD didn’t do anything in 2021, as they actually hosted a BD experience camp for MMs in 2021. 

Which still doesn’t make 2021 (a non-competitive season) relevant in a conversation about championships. 

Anyway — the semantics game is pretty silly here, I think. Ultimately, no corps won between 2019 and 2022, so whether or not you call that a streak, BD gets to say that they won the only 2 championships that were available to win, and if they win in 2023, they’d get to say they won the only 3. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 6

On 5/10/2023 at 2:37 PM, boxingfred said:

I don't know. I get what you are trying to say but this sounds like coming up with your own definition of what the "right way" is. Who gets to determine the "right way?" If DCI was cancelled in 2020 and only held a few exhibition shows in 2021 then Blue Devils winning in 2019, 2022, and potentially 2023 would be a three-peat. If this happens they will have won the last 3 competitive years. They do not have to be consecutive years unless a competitive year was skipped by the corps. It is not the fault of Blue Devils, or any corps, that DCI had to scrap 2020 and go exhibition only in 2021. 

So to me if Blue Devils do win in 2023 I would absolutely call that a 3-peat. 

• Like 7

This is a tough one to answer though. I can see both sides.

There would definitely be clarifier and qualifier asterisks after the phrase "3-time champion"...

Honestly, I hope they DON'T get it, as it would just be another point of controversy.

None of it really matters, and I just hope I can see a BD to love again. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I don't know. I get what you are trying to say but this sounds like coming up with your own definition of what the "right way" is. Who gets to determine the "right way?" If DCI was cancelled in 2020 and only held a few exhibition shows in 2021 then Blue Devils winning in 2019, 2022, and potentially 2023 would be a three-peat. If this happens they will have won the last 3 competitive years. They do not have to be consecutive years unless a competitive year was skipped by the corps. It is not the fault of Blue Devils, or any corps, that DCI had to scrap 2020 and go exhibition only in 2021. 

So to me if Blue Devils do win in 2023 I would absolutely call that a 3-peat. 

Thank you! Once again common sense prevails. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, saxfreq1128 said:

Suppose BD did field a show in 2021. Would that change the fact that there was no championship to win? I’m not sure why we’re making this about who “helped maintain interest in the activity” or not. But FWIW: You’re mistaken that BD didn’t do anything in 2021, as they actually hosted a BD experience camp for MMs in 2021. 

Which still doesn’t make 2021 (a non-competitive season) relevant in a conversation about championships. 

Anyway — the semantics game is pretty silly here, I think. Ultimately, no corps won between 2019 and 2022, so whether or not you call that a streak, BD gets to say that they won the only 2 championships that were available to win, and if they win in 2023, they’d get to say they won the only 3. 

Have they won the last two full competitive seasons? Yes. If they win the next one will 2+1=3 in a row? Yes. It is most certainly a 3-peat. Not that hard to compute I would hope😂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Have they won the last two full competitive seasons? Yes. If they win the next one will 2+1=3 in a row? Yes. It is most certainly a 3-peat. Not that hard to compute I would hope😂

I think that three years ago (May 2020) if someone prophesied that in May 2023 we would be arguing whether a three-peat was feasible, many of us would have thought that this was a hopelessly optimistic situation. 

• Like 1