2023 Season Predictions

I don't really give a rat's patooey if it's called a 3-peat or not or how much debate goes on about it through eternity. All I know is if it happens, it's an ungodly number of victories over history and is the only drum corps prediction I'll ever make- a record that will never fall. Of course 30+ years ago, people were saying the same thing about Gretzky's records and now they're being challenged, so maybe predictions are like putting a sushi bar in Pearl Harbor - just a bad idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't really give a rat's patooey if it's called a 3-peat or not or how much debate goes on about it through eternity. All I know is if it happens, it's an ungodly number of victories over history and is the only drum corps prediction I'll ever make- a record that will never fall. Of course 30+ years ago, people were saying the same thing about Gretzky's records and now they're being challenged, so maybe predictions are like putting a sushi bar in Pearl Harbor - just a bad idea. 

We should also remember that it's the CADETS that have the most championships when you combine the championships since before the inception of DCI.

BD has been the most successful corps in DCI, but the Cadets have been the most celebrated drumcorps in history.

Both are great accomplishments!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

We should also remember that it's the CADETS that have the most championships when you combine the championships since before the inception of DCI.

BD has been the most successful corps in DCI, but the Cadets have been the most celebrated drumcorps in history.

Very true. I should have clarified. 

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

This isn't a DCI thing. We do this in sports as well. The Super Bowl has been around since 1967. But the NFL has been playing football since 1920. Nearly a half century of championships won by teams, but we (in general) only look at and care about the SB titles won by the teams. And we are all guilty of it in some way. 

For example, the Detroit Lions have never been to a SB. But they do have four titles from the pre-super bowl era. But if some Lions fan tried to talk to us about the championship they won in 1935, we would laugh them out of the bldg. 

We live in a "What have you done for me lately" society. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I don't know. I get what you are trying to say but this sounds like coming up with your own definition of what the "right way" is. Who gets to determine the "right way?" If DCI was cancelled in 2020 and only held a few exhibition shows in 2021 then Blue Devils winning in 2019, 2022, and potentially 2023 would be a three-peat. If this happens they will have won the last 3 competitive years. They do not have to be consecutive years unless a competitive year was skipped by the corps. It is not the fault of Blue Devils, or any corps, that DCI had to scrap 2020 and go exhibition only in 2021. 

So to me if Blue Devils do win in 2023 I would absolutely call that a 3-peat. 

I guess you don't get what I'm trying to say. " The right way" = The way it's always been done since the first DCI 3-Pete by St Ignatius. 

“helped maintain interest in the activity”= Getting the fans used to going back to drum corps show after a year of nothing. Getting the judges an opportunity to judge after a year of nothing.

Call it what you want. Three wins over 5 years or Three wins over 3 years. I won't put more thought into it. A fighter wins by disqualification or Knock Out. A win is a win.* 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:09 AM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This tiresome fixation on the "correct" math to describe BD's streak is energy-draining. It's like the debates over whether the year 2000 was the final year of millennium A, or the first year of millennium B.

I can't believe people are arguing about this. It's not important. 

56 minutes ago, DudleytheWest said:

I can't believe people are arguing about this. It's not important. 

Welcome to DCP.

giphy.webp

• Haha 6

On 5/12/2023 at 11:50 AM, jjeffeory said:

I'm reminded yearly that pre certain things means nothing. Lions never have been to or won a Superbowl but they won championships in the 50s. Nobody cares about those and we are reminded of our streak of being one of the few to never play the game 😅

This is our year! #OnePride

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

This is our year! #OnePride

Not if my Niners have anything to say about it!