2023 Season Predictions

On 8/23/2022 at 4:00 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I have a feeling Top 5 is gonna change dramatically. Should corps like Crown and Boston keep their staff, it's safe to say they'll perform well next year. Also seems to be an upward trend for Mandarins too.

So changing dramatically infers a few changes taking most or some out of the top five or placement shifts within the top five?  Can you be a touch more specific?  It’s safe to say the staffs will remain entirely intact or mostly intact for the five.  At least BD will not change and I’m sure there are no changes for BAC.  Unless they are voluntarily made.  I assume Bloo stays the same so that leaves Crown and SCV.  SCV made changes late last year and Crown seems OK with their team, so what dramatic changes should we expect?  Mind you I’m thinking staffs here.  

Edited by LabMaster

39 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So changing dramatically infers a few changes taking most or some out of the top five or placement shifts within the top five?  Can you be a touch more specific?  It’s safe to say the staffs will remain entirely intact or mostly intact for the five.  At least BD will not change and I’m sure there are no changes for BAC.  Unless they are voluntarily made.  I assume Bloo stays the same so that leaves Crown and SCV.  SCV made changes late last year and Crown seems OK with their team, so what dramatic changes should we expect?  Mind you I’m thinking staffs here.  

Well the rumor of a new director for Crown on the merry go round topic could be the only reason things change there but I doubt it will. Only lower level changes like someone on the brass staff going to caption head somewhere else. 

6 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well the rumor of a new director for Crown on the merry go round topic could be the only reason things change there but I doubt it will. Only lower level changes like someone on the brass staff going to caption head somewhere else. 

I agree.  And if it is a departure like you say, I don’t see that change,  impacting a top 5 corps dramatically.

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Yes there will be a new director for Crown and the word is there will be some higher level changes in the staff so get ready for some much needed changes to get Crown back to the top..

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Yes there will be a new director for Crown and the word is there will be some higher level changes in the staff so get ready for some much needed changes to get Crown back to the top..

So who are they gonna grab for staff? They are ranked 4th. Captions heads from Coats or Boston or BD? Don't think so. They are 4th.....not 14th. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

So who are they gonna grab for staff? They are ranked 4th. Captions heads from Coats or Boston or BD? Don't think so. They are 4th.....not 14th. 

it's not always about that - there are talented folks at all levels

Team dynamic can be a difficult thing - my perspective/hunch is that there is a bit of a rift between visual and music folks at Crown, all that can explain the lack of growth in the production this year from ST until finals - it was miniscule compared to all the others in the top 8 (? maybe more) - I mean, it got cleaner... but. Given the folks there, my hunch is the music team stays with changes on visual side. JMO

On 8/26/2022 at 1:25 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Well the rumor of a new director for Crown on the merry go round topic could be the only reason things change there but I doubt it will.

But I loved Crown this year! 😢 I want that guy to stay right here, right now!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Team dynamic can be a difficult thing - my perspective/hunch is that there is a bit of a rift between visual and music folks at Crown, all that can explain the lack of growth in the production this year from ST until finals - it was miniscule compared to all the others in the top 8 (? maybe more) - I mean, it got cleaner... but. Given the folks there, my hunch is the music team stays with changes on visual side. JMO

Thanks G. Lot's t say and go for it.

21 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I agree with you.  And, I will add this....although some folks like to harp on the prior visual team leaving supposedly for financial reasons only, it is disingenuous to suggest that is all it was.  Crown definitely needs to examine the decision makers there, including the puzzling decision to limit one of the strongest hornlines in DCI to less than 7 minutes of playing time.  THAT was show design malpractice and quite possibly cost them a medal.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I agree with you.  And, I will add this....although some folks like to harp on the prior visual team leaving supposedly for financial reasons only, it is disingenuous to suggest that is all it was.  Crown definitely needs to examine the decision makers there, including the puzzling decision to limit one of the strongest hornlines in DCI to less than 7 minutes of playing time.  THAT was show design malpractice and quite possibly cost them a medal.

Definitely a puzzling decision that was, and to say that the repertoire they picked was a bit “meh” by the end of the year when they did play is something to think about, the replay value isn’t there compared to crown shows of years’ past.