2023 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Oh what the heck, for schlitz and giggles here in January, I'll go out on a limb and predict the winner of the Ott Award for best Brass line for 2023 will be a first time recipient...... the Boston Crusaders.

THIS.

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Oh what the heck, for schlitz and giggles here in January, I'll go out on a limb and predict the winner of the Ott Award for best Brass line for 2023 will be a first time recipient...... the Boston Crusaders.

Just remember... you can win the Ott and still lay an egg on Finals night.  BD finished 3rd in brass at Finals last year after being 1st on Thursday/Friday.  I don't care about your average over the three shows, give me your best performance on Saturday night.  1983 and 2008 ring a bell?

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

the winner of the Ott Award for best Brass line for 2023 will be a first time recipient...... the Boston Crusaders.

Well, they did finish 2nd in the brass caption at last year's finals, so it could happen. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Just remember... you can win the Ott and still lay an egg on Finals night.  BD finished 3rd in brass at Finals last year after being 1st on Thursday/Friday.  I don't care about your average over the three shows, give me your best performance on Saturday night.  1983 and 2008 ring a bell?

IMHO all caption winners should be based on the finals performance on the field.   Winners rise to the task. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IMHO all caption winners should be based on the finals performance on the field.   Winners rise to the task. 

Agreed, it's a dumb way of determining a caption winner. Average them over a season and even prelims and semis if you like, if you want to determine a regular season caption champ. The Super Bowl caption champ is the Super Bowl caption champ. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Agreed, it's a dumb way of determining a caption winner. Average them over a season and even prelims and semis if you like, if you want to determine a regular season caption champ. The Super Bowl caption champ is the Super Bowl caption champ. 

I have no problem with captions being averaged over 3 nights.  That process prohibits a caption award being won or lost based on limited judging influence, only on one night.  Since judging is subjective it could simply be a judge thinks a performance warrants their opinionated evaluation so the “best”caption winner could possibly not win.  The “consensus”.makes the determination.  It usually comes out right. The overall performance should win based on the one nights performance, but not captions which are quite personal to mm’s.  But that’s my opinion.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I have no problem with captions being averaged over 3 nights.  That process prohibits a caption award being won or lost based on limited judging influence, only on one night.  Since judging is subjective it could simply be a judge thinks a performance warrants their opinionated evaluation so the “best”caption winner could possibly not win.  The “consensus”.makes the determination.  It usually comes out right. The overall performance should win based on the one nights performance, but not captions which are quite personal to mm’s.  But that’s my opinion.

Respectfully noted. 

I'd only thing I'd add is that in my Super Bowl analogy, pro sports officiating, albeit on paper anyway is by the book and this is the way it's going to be, its influence night to night can be anything but.