2023 Season Predictions

1 hour ago, Den8uml said:

For Boston to hold a medal spot they need to be strong across the board again. Looking at their age out group photo, they are losing only a handful of brass and guard BUT many in percussion. So they will need to hit a home run with recruitment for drums to stay up.  

1 hour ago, Den8uml said:

For Boston to hold a medal spot they need to be strong across the board again. Looking at their age out group photo, they are losing only a handful of brass and guard BUT many in percussion. So they will need to hit a home run with recruitment for drums to stay up.  

Corps that medal rarely have recruitment issues that following off season. The Blue Devils had huge turnover from 2019 to their next competition season here in 2022. They only had 22 BD vets from the 2019 season in their 2022 BD of 165 this summer. But they easily filled out their ranks with vets from other DCI and/ or WGI units that had experience and talent derived from their participation there.

Corps that medal in a particular corps section rarely have talent replenishment issues that following off season either in that section, ie SCV and Bluecoats in Percussion, for example. Both Corps lose lots of marchers in their Percussion sections each summer. Turnover high. But their reputation for section excellence and medaling in that corps section makes talent replenishment each off season a seamless occurrence for them. 

Boston was a 6th place finish Corps in 2019. They built this season's 2nd place corps from that perspective. Their reputation for excellence in Guard makes that section the standard bearer. In Percussion, Boston was 7th/ 8th in Percussion in 2019 with huge turnover, and yet built that section up from that to this years best season placement ( 4th ) in Percussion ever for them.  They were only 2 tenths removed from medaling in Percussion last night. As for Brass, they medaled in Brass , and topped BD and Bluecoats in Brass last night. Once you medal, turnover becomes the norm, and replenishment that off season becomes seamless.  As such, Boston can now be reasonably  expected to have an enormous appeal this offseason with talented applicants in all corps sections... Percussion included. I would imagine the possibility to march with a Corps on the doorstep now of winning their first DCI Title,and becoming perhaps the de facto new challenger to the Blue Devils long hegemony at the top in DCI could be appealing to the ambitious and the talented applicants that might want to be a part of DCI history making. I suppose time will tell us this offseason.

• Like 1

Aside from the obvious complaints some people had, I think the fan response to this year has been almost overwhelmingly positive (i'm glad, i loved everything this year). I think the corps are going to try and go above and beyond in 2023, in terms of trying to impress the fans and put butts in seats. I'm expecting to see some insane visual stuff next year

A few predictions via my OUIJA board.

Boston knocked on the door this year, in 2023 they will be knocking it down. We will be "crowning a new champion".

Breaking back in to the top 12 this season, will do wonders for recruiting.  Look for a top 10 finish in 2023 from the Troopers

Cadets are back and unstoppable.  Look for them to medal in 2023  

Edited by bluesman
spelling
  • Like 3

I predict that SCV-A will once again pass over a bunch of talent developed in SCVC over multiple seasons, field three dozen-plus age-outs in SCVC while the A-corps finishes 5th playing a closer written when Star was still on the field. Meanwhile, a few of the VC kids who got passed over go will to BD-A and win, just like they did in 2022. 

Edit: a pic of the ‘22 SCVC age-outs at OC Championships was posted on the SCV Alumni page; I counted 40. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

One day an open class group will get close to finals

2002.  Magic of Orlando won Div.II (now open class), then placed 11th in Div. I finals.

7 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Very. I know nothing about music theory while they would talk like everyone knew. Hell my high school only taught us like 3 scales so I just played what's on the page.

When I tried out for Sky Ryders in 91, I had only played trombone up until that point. I had to ask someone to write the fingerings on a few lines of music so I could figure out the pattern. Then I just had to act and sound like I knew what I was doing. 

Even At Regiment, I was still thrown off sometimes when they’d start talking about scales or whatever. (It was like speaking in non native language- I still thought in terms of bass clef in my head.) I was one of the few people in my section that wasn’t a music major. Ironically, I was going to North Texas for my undergrad. (Though I did take a euphonium class in the Fall of 93 so I could have an instrument to practice on for my 94 audition to go back to Regiment.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Boston knocked on the door this year, in 2023 they will be knocking it down. We will be "crowning a new champion".

Breaking back in to the top 12 this season, will do wonders for recruiting.  Look for a top 10 finish in 2023 from the Troopers

I think that you may need to go back to your OUIJA board.

1.  Troopers; had an amazing 2022 year.  I love their tenacity and grit ; they connected with the DCI audience and were a well deserved 2022 finalist.  But for them to come in 10th place next year, they would have to beat the Mandarins and stay ahead of the likes of the Colts, Crossmen, Blue Knights, and a much improved Madison ensemble.  And who knows what the off year will bring to Music City, Academy, and the real unknown :  Spirit.  Thats a lot of competition coming after you.  I would also say that its a good bet that the Crossmen and Blue Knights will fix their program design issues for 2023 and will be back in the Saturday night show.

2.  Cadets ;  another great season.  They too were spectacular in 2022; but to advance to medal contention  in 2023 with the likes of the current top 5 is a very tall order.  These organizations are set up to be perennial top 3 corps.  Personally;  I would switch Vanguard for Cadets.

3.  BAC;  this one I would agree with you.  An absolutely amazing 2022 is only going to get better in 2023.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MedicineMan said:

I think that you may need to go back to your OUIJA board.

1.  Troopers; had an amazing 2022 year.  I love their tenacity and grit ; they connected with the DCI audience and were a well deserved 2022 finalist.  But for them to come in 10th place next year, they would have to beat the Mandarins and stay ahead of the likes of the Colts, Crossmen, Blue Knights, and a much improved Madison ensemble.  And who knows what the off year will bring to Music City, Academy, and the real unknown :  Spirit.  Thats a lot of competition coming after you.  I would also say that its a good bet that the Crossmen and Blue Knights will fix their program design issues for 2023 and will be back in the Saturday night show.

2.  Cadets ;  another great season.  They too were spectacular in 2022; but to advance to medal contention  in 2023 with the likes of the current top 5 is a very tall order.  These organizations are set up to be perennial top 3 corps.  Personally;  I would switch Vanguard for Cadets.

3.  BAC;  this one I would agree with you.  An absolutely amazing 2022 is only going to get better in 2023.

Concerning number 1 - BAC was in 12th only a few seasons ago

3 hours ago, bluesman said:

So you are predicting that Bluecoats, Crown and SCV don’t medal next year, assuming of course BD does?

4 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Corps that medal rarely have recruitment issues that following off season. The Blue Devils had huge turnover from 2019 to their next competition season here in 2022. They only had 22 BD vets from the 2019 season in their 2022 BD of 165 this summer. But they easily filled out their ranks with vets from other DCI and/ or WGI units that had experience and talent derived from their participation there.

Corps that medal in a particular corps section rarely have talent replenishment issues that following off season either in that section, ie SCV and Bluecoats in Percussion, for example. Both Corps lose lots of marchers in their Percussion sections each summer. Turnover high. But their reputation for section excellence and medaling in that corps section makes talent replenishment each off season a seamless occurrence for them. 

Boston was a 6th place finish Corps in 2019. They built this season's 2nd place corps from that perspective. Their reputation for excellence in Guard makes that section the standard bearer. In Percussion, Boston was 7th/ 8th in Percussion in 2019 with huge turnover, and yet built that section up from that to this years best season placement ( 4th ) in Percussion ever for them.  They were only 2 tenths removed from medaling in Percussion last night. As for Brass, they medaled in Brass , and topped BD and Bluecoats in Brass last night. Once you medal, turnover becomes the norm, and replenishment that off season becomes seamless.  As such, Boston can now be reasonably  expected to have an enormous appeal this offseason with talented applicants in all corps sections... Percussion included. I would imagine the possibility to march with a Corps on the doorstep now of winning their first DCI Title,and becoming perhaps the de facto new challenger to the Blue Devils long hegemony at the top in DCI could be appealing to the ambitious and the talented applicants that might want to be a part of DCI history making. I suppose time will tell us this offseason.

Mr. Anova, you are correct.  For the record, Boston had over 100 drummers audition for less than a dozen open spots on the battery after the ZOOM show in 2021.  They will be fine in terms of percussion talent for next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1