Boston Crusaders 2023

6 hours ago, sanjoseDCfan said:

Let's all keep in mind that BAC and Cadets move in 4-5 weeks ahead of the first show whereas Spartans and 7th Regiment move in 6-7 days before the first show.  Big difference.

While true, both Corps have decent numbers of alums/ fans in their fan bases that will likely come to cheer their New England based Corps on, in this show in New England. I believe Craiga will be correct in this assessment, despite its small early season lineup of Corps, and the likely stage of readiness with the corps.

Edited by Boss Anova

19 hours ago, TOC said:

The Ft. Collins show could provide some answers.

I will be there. That will also be the first BK vs Troop matchup because Troop is heading East and BK is heading West for first tour.

11 hours ago, craiga said:

I will lay odds right now that both the Lynn and Quincy shows will be sellouts.  Yes, they are small lineups,  but having the current 2nd place and 5th place DCI World Class corps there will be a huge draw. And while I agree with your sentiment that neither 7th nor Spartans were well prepared last year, they are both nevertheless local corps with lots of local support.  

And in addition,  this will be the first time in BAC'S 83 year history that it will be performing in Massachusetts as a top 3 DCI drum corps which will arguably be in the hunt for its first national championship since 1967.  I completely believe you when you say that some people might not go to these first two shows, but that seems so illogical to me.  We in the Boston area are so fortunate to have THREE local world class shows this year.  Heck, I'd go if it was just Boston in street clothes.  And for the record, I have reason to believe that the Cadets are going to come out with guns blazing.

I do hope you're correct about the shows being sold out. It may be true with Quincy, but if Draft Kings considered drum corps a sport and the Commonwealth allowed legalized betting, if selling out was a category, I wouldn't bet on Lynn. No one likes Manning Field, and even he staunchest "Lynner" who defends the city right or wrong will admit tearing down Manning Bowl and replacing it with Manning Field was a mistake (I was still assigned in Lynn when the renovate v. rebuilding debate began). You also need not only a bigger line up, but certain corps in the line up. Cardinals Alumni had a close bond with Bloo, and though this might not be the most popular comment in tis thread, you need Crown. I know the story from both sides so we don't need to go there. Think of Crown as the modern day Bridgemen. No 27th, BAC, North Star, Garfield, and probably Defenders didn't like Bridgemen much, but audiences did and they made shows livelier and competition more heated. Crown does the same today. Visits by Troopers, Crossmen, Madison, and Phantom are enjoyed too.  There's also another factor that may not be insurmountable, but requires some consideration. Just as the Lawrence show, whether it be called East Coast Classic or CYO Nationals Tribute is a huge BAC reunion, Beanpot, was a North Shore reunion and many who attended did so because of the show organizers and reconnecting with old friends. I say this as someone who knows many who attend and not from attending drum corps shows. If you can recreate the reunion atmosphere, continue some of the things that made Beanpot its own show, and perhaps the most difficult challenge convince BAC fans from the South Shore or have retired to the Cape to cross the Tobin Bridge and attend the show, it could be a success. 

9 hours ago, sanjoseDCfan said:

Let's all keep in mind that BAC and Cadets move in 4-5 weeks ahead of the first show whereas Spartans and 7th Regiment move in 6-7 days before the first show.  Big difference.

I appologizde. I sounded harsh in the comment I said regarding 7th Regiment and Spartans, two corps I do enjoy and respect. I also understand that 2022 was not a normal year for either corps after not marching for two years. I think if it was announced at the two shows the performances would not be judged but the corps wanted to perform highlights of their show, it would have worked out better.

Last time I looked ,there will be 7  Drum Corps judged show competitions in the New England region this summer. assuming no rain outs. ( 5 DCI, 2 DCA ).   All 7 shows will be in locales under a 2 1/2 hour drive from downtown Boston. 5 of these 7 shows will be between a 15 minute to just under an hour and a half’s drive.  This compares in numbers of shows more than favorably with the number of judged competition shows there will be for Drum Corps fans in the northwest corner of the US... in the second largest populated state in the US ( Florida )... or up in the entire country of Canada for that matter . For proper context comparison,  there will be NO judged competition shows available for Drum Corps fans in these rather large areas anymore... of ANY quality re. lineups. Those in New England can’t complain much then, imo . They should be grateful for what they still DO have there , imo... especially where once vital regions for Drum Corps and their fans no longer have ANY Drum Corps shows even remotely close to them in close proximity to attend  at all anymore.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Last time I looked ,there will be 7  Drum Corps judged show competitions in the New England region this summer. assuming no rain outs. ( 5 DCI, 2 DCA ).   All 7 shows will be in locales under a 2 1/2 hour drive from downtown Boston. 5 of these 7 shows will be between a 15 minute to just under an hour and a half’s drive.  This compares in numbers of shows more than favorably with the number of judged competition shows there will be for Drum Corps fans in the northwest corner of the US... in the second largest populated state in the US ( Florida )... or up in the entire country of Canada for that matter . For proper context comparison,  there will be NO judged competition shows available for Drum Corps fans in these rather large areas anymore... of ANY quality re. lineups. Those in New England can’t complain much then, imo . They should be grateful for what they still DO have there , imo... especially where once vital regions for Drum Corps and their fans no longer have ANY Drum Corps shows even remotely close to them in close proximity to attend  at all anymore.

I absolutely agree! DCI has (wisely) shortened tour to assist with the financial challenges that the corps have, but some fans such as up in the Pacific Northwest literally have to get on a plane now to watch our activity live.  It would be the height of hubris for any New England fans to not support these shows on July 1st and 2nd.  Both shows include two top 5 World Class corps, two open class corps, and two all age corps.  It seems to me to be a nice little line up. Crown now only has a shortened regional tour (other than DCI's biggest shows) and Spirit of Atlanta is understandably getting their sealegs again.   For Drum Corps fans in New England, the first weekend of July this summer will literally have something for everyone!

And no, Boston absolutely does not need Crown in any of its shows, as the last five years of gate receipts demonstrate.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

I do hope you're correct about the shows being sold out. It may be true with Quincy, but if Draft Kings considered drum corps a sport and the Commonwealth allowed legalized betting, if selling out was a category, I wouldn't bet on Lynn. No one likes Manning Field, and even he staunchest "Lynner" who defends the city right or wrong will admit tearing down Manning Bowl and replacing it with Manning Field was a mistake (I was still assigned in Lynn when the renovate v. rebuilding debate began). You also need not only a bigger line up, but certain corps in the line up. Cardinals Alumni had a close bond with Bloo, and though this might not be the most popular comment in tis thread, you need Crown. I know the story from both sides so we don't need to go there. Think of Crown as the modern day Bridgemen. No 27th, BAC, North Star, Garfield, and probably Defenders didn't like Bridgemen much, but audiences did and they made shows livelier and competition more heated. Crown does the same today. Visits by Troopers, Crossmen, Madison, and Phantom are enjoyed too.  There's also another factor that may not be insurmountable, but requires some consideration. Just as the Lawrence show, whether it be called East Coast Classic or CYO Nationals Tribute is a huge BAC reunion, Beanpot, was a North Shore reunion and many who attended did so because of the show organizers and reconnecting with old friends. I say this as someone who knows many who attend and not from attending drum corps shows. If you can recreate the reunion atmosphere, continue some of the things that made Beanpot its own show, and perhaps the most difficult challenge convince BAC fans from the South Shore or have retired to the Cape to cross the Tobin Bridge and attend the show, it could be a success. 

Bloo needs Crown the way the Red Sox need the Yankees.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I have an Open Class show an hour away; after that next closest is Annapolis at 6 hrs (not including DC traffic).  

Not complaining that show is Open Class- that is what I marched & looking forward to seeing Corps have confident enough players that don’t need 100 additional ones to back them up 

13 hours ago, Tim K said:

I would beg to differ on Boston not liking Bridgemen.  There were a number of connections between Boston and Bridgemen.  Boston may not have liked being beaten by them, especially when they were first out in the yellow coats, but the corps attitudes were similar.  There was also a very memorable night where Boston and Bridgemen hung out together in Marlboro.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tim K said:

A non sequitur, but I can’t not have my brain say, “Lynn Lynn the city is sin” when reading this.