Legends and lore of drum corps

In my time spent on DCP and other sites, I've read some wildly funny (but debatably true) stories passed down through the ages, from the guy who got kicked out of BD right before finals but snuck in and marched anyway without anyone noticing, to the crazy Crossmen parents with their airplane, and the drum major who flipped off the judges. So this is a thread where I am indeed seeking the knowledge and wisdom of the older generations- what are some of the most wild and crazy things you've seen/heard of in drum corps?

• Thanks 1

1984 Great Whitewater Wipeout.   Garfield Cadets start the Z Pull to end the show.  Sop near the 30 on side 2 trips and falls (blind backwards move), several member trip over him.

Almost all the judges MISS this because 1) they were looking at the center of the form and 2) the kids recover and get back into the form so fast that there was nothing to see by the time they DID look over...the one judge who DID see it was music analysis, and he couldn't make a judgment on the fall.

Garfield gets a perfect GE marching subcap score.

BD takes 3rd, Garfield 2nd, SCV wins.   A note that the Wipeout did NOT cost Garfield the win....SCV earned that victory legit.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:07 AM, Orwellian Wiress said:

In my time spent on DCP and other sites, I've read some wildly funny (but debatably true) stories passed down through the ages, from the guy who got kicked out of BD right before finals but snuck in and marched anyway without anyone noticing, to the crazy Crossmen parents with their airplane, and the drum major who flipped off the judges. So this is a thread where I am indeed seeking the knowledge and wisdom of the older generations- what are some of the most wild and crazy things you've seen/heard of in drum corps?

the BD story is true, Scott Johnson went into details on the Drum Corps Coffee Shop podcast. I don't remember a drum major flipping off judges, but a corps director did

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What dino doesn't have a zillion drum corps stories to tell. 

We had a soprano player in the 70s who to this day is as wild and crazy as he ever was. We stayed at  Rec Center in Chicago area one time. Management was nice enough to let us use their outdoor pool one time. Joey took full advantage and used the opportunity to do the Baby Ruth bar in the pool thing years before Caddyshack even came out. Management was not amused. Another time in a different public pool, he did a big cannonball in the shallow end, sunk quickly to the bottom and pulled out a bottle of fake blood and the chaos began. 

On the field, one of the oddest things ever was at VFW State. When we got back to where we were staying we found out we had beat the Guardsmen in prelims and were inches away from the Belleville Black Knights. Turns out, the Drum GE Judge passed out from the heat that day and they had given us a perfect 10.0 in Drum GE. We fell like a rock of course in Finals. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Haha 2

A Cavalier friend who marched ‘80/‘81 mentioned a brass player got hit in the head with a rifle during a show and was blinded. He stuck his elbows out (two step interval) and touched elbows with the guys on either side and finished out the show. The marched off the field and he collapsed. His vision came back shortly thereafter. Baller!

Madison Scouts claimed to have a judges tape (1970s) of a judge dying of a heart attack while adjudicating their show. Not sure if true.

Wasn’t a Chicago corps (Des Plaines Vanguard) rehearsing in a hangar at O’Hare that was struck by a crashing plane in ‘68?

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

1 minute ago, Scooter Pirtle said:

Madison Scouts claimed to have a judges tape (1970s) of a judge dying of a heart attack while adjudicating their show. Not sure if true.

Wrong year wrong corps. That was just me reacting to Tilt for the first time

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Then there were 2005 Racine Kilties at DCA prelims. 
RIP Lothar. 

BOB Jacobs, a long time judge for many circuits did die judging the West Chester show

• Sad 2