Carolina Crown 2023

Welcome to the 2023 Carolina Crown thread! 

Thought I would start this already, first thing I have to say is I am really curious how this design team does next season. A lot to be learned from this year. 

All of the performance captions are doing amazing. Percussion getting a lot better, guard picking it up too. I really want to see these performers get handed a show design that knocks it out of the park and see how it comes out in the end. 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Carolina Crown on a brilliant show that always brought the energy and joy to the field this season. I never tired of hearing that emotional music so beautifully played, nor the crazy visuals the guard and all the corps put on display. You are always a winner!

• Like 5

Carolina Crown Rules for 2023

1. Choose one idea and one idea only, please.

2. Find another way to discard of equipment after using so that the field isn't cluttered afterwards.

3. Don't put everything on the field first week. Build the show as the season progresses.

4. Please don't wait until the season is almost over to start cleaning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

Carolina Crown Rules for 2023

1. Choose one idea and one idea only, please.

2. Find another way to discard of equipment after using so that the field isn't cluttered afterwards.

3. Don't put everything on the field first week. Build the show as the season progresses.

4. Please don't wait until the season is almost over to start cleaning.

Agree with some of these, but it seems like the whole point of practicing the show day in/day out is to clean it. Cleaning is something that starts on day 1 and ends on finals night. 

Just now, dsundercover said:

Agree with some of these, but it seems like the whole point of practicing the show day in/day out is to clean it. Cleaning is something that starts on day 1 and ends on finals night. 

The videos proof says otherwise. They may have focused on cleaning musically, but visually they didn't start cleaning up until Murfreesboro or Atlanta. 

Just now, ZTWright said:

The videos proof says otherwise. They may have focused on cleaning musically, but visually they didn't start cleaning up until Murfreesboro or Atlanta. 

A lot of it could have to do with how challenging a particular set of drill is to get clean. I guess my point is I don’t think Crown made an active decision to not clean their show until the end of the season. I’m sure they were trying their best to clean it all season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

Yes -- your #3 point: keep adding to the show, if nothing else it keeps the kids engaged and sharp. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Yes -- your #3 point: keep adding to the show, if nothing else it keeps the kids engaged and sharp. 

Any top program, drum corps or high school, will make changes to keep their students on their toes and to keep them from just going through the motions every day. Adding another piece of fabric just doesn't do that.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Welcome to the 2023 Carolina Crown thread! 

Thought I would start this already, first thing I have to say is I am really curious how this design team does next season. A lot to be learned from this year. 

All of the performance captions are doing amazing. Percussion getting a lot better, guard picking it up too. I really want to see these performers get handed a show design that knocks it out of the park and see how it comes out in the end. 

Fire the design team, it’s not fair to the members

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Fire the design team, it’s not fair to the members

I don't think a clean sweep is necessary but I do have questions about artistic director/program coordinator Rick Subel. Michael Klesch and Jeff Sacktig both have track records of tremendous success, and they didn't create their designs in a vacuum. I don't know how long Rick has been at the helm of programming at Crown, but the 2022 program certainly felt like a "beat them over the head with everything and the kitchen sink" approach. Hoping for significantly more focus and elegance from Crown in 2023.

• Like 5