Carolina Crown 2023

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

Good point, but I don’t think the battery was either adding or detracting to VA.  There was plenty of other content to be judged on.

Agreed, because I think the battery was well written into the show. That is the kind of thing that happens. Some sets overall left me scratching my head (i.e. opener hit, ballad hit, the odd arc spanning the entire field at the beginning of the closer), but the percussion was written well into it, however odd it may have been. They definitely weren't an afterthought.

26 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Agreed...the percussion talent needed to be a championship contender has alluded Crown for many a year.

I think many on DCP have done more than just allude to the need for Crown percussion to do more.

Frankly, I think what's eluded you is how hard these members and staff work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I think many on DCP have done more than just allude to the need for Crown percussion to do more.

A lot of people in the world work hard. That doesn't equate with them working smart nor does it equate with success. 

CrownBariDad, you and I see this activity differently in most ways. I don't approach DCI from sentimental or nostalgic perspective even though I could. All you have to do is look at the Music Caption area on the sheets historically to see that Crown's percussion does not help this drum corps be a championship contender. It is a weakness for this corps and has been for years. This is a statement of fact. It is a statement of attack. Defend them all you wish, but it doesn't change the historically or presently for Crown and it never will until it becomes a priority of their focus. 

You, of course, can choose to continue your absolute defense of an organization you love subjectively. BUT, just because you do does not require me to do the same.

Edited by Drum Corps Is Now a Bust

56 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

All you have to do is look at the Music Caption area on the sheets historically to see that Crown's percussion does not help this drum corps be a championship contender.

OK, I looked.  At finals, they were 6th in percussion in 2013.  This held them back to 1st in Music Analysis and 1st in GE 2.  That’s probably why they had to settle for a gold medal that year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, skevinp said:

OK, I looked.  At finals, they were 6th in percussion in 2013.  This held them back to 1st in Music Analysis and 1st in GE 2.  That’s probably why they had to settle for a gold medal that year.  

So, you are using an exception to the rule. A marginal example to flippant when you and I both know this not the norm. Good for you and well thought out.

Here is another truth you may find a marginal example for: When one subcaption is significantly weak, it forces other subcaptions into a place of being almost perfect in order to contend for a championship. But don't marginal examples, that low hanging fruit and you know it.

Edited by Drum Corps Is Now a Bust

All staffs and members work hard. It's still no excuse to have a top 3 brass and guard while the percussion sits in 6th. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, ZTWright said:

I hope I'm wrong too, but the performers can only do so much with what they are given. Once these corps who are behind them, i.e. The Cavaliers, Cadets, and possibly Blue Stars, start to sort their "issues" I foresee trouble for Crown. The Cavaliers could have possibly kept up if Covid hadn't hit them hard. Just trying to be realistic here because Cadets made some great strides this year, as did Blue Stars. We shall see what next year holds.

I'm honestly not sure what is wrong with the percussion, as I'm nowhere near a percussion, but a focus on that section needs to take place. A top 3 brass and guard can't make up for the lack in the percussion section forever. I don't however believe the drill was the problem. 

the percussion caption is IMO the deepest caption in all of DCI. Literally any of the top 10 percussion sections are incredible. And with the math used for scores, it alone is not going to call the overall placement. I mean if it didn't in 2013, it won't now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

.3 out of 1st in content, 5 corps crammed in that spread. .45 out of first in achievement, 6 corps crammed in that spread.3 of the percussion sections ahead of them had higher achievement numbers than content.

ain't exactly nothing to sneeze at

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2