Carolina Crown 2023

Well .. there certainly were issues on a number of fronts but I give Crown credit for trying something different for them and the activity. The top five corps’ shows except Crown to me were disappointing as they were reincarnations of their last competitive show. Really BDs .. so similar in look feel and staging to Ghostlamp or other shows  .. Boston basically has run the same approach for now 5 years .. finally getting it down but very simple drill with CG carrying the visual .. it’s clean and concise but really is an extension of the shows done by that team at Crown. Bluecoats.. a continuation of the Beatles shows/groovy theme that are so similar. 
SCV .. still hanging on to the vestiges of Babylon with their props visual and arrangements. 
I don’t think any of these shows were bad or unlikable but it’s not like there is a huge amount of stretching artistically/design for these corps. Kind of a status quo year to me in retrospect.  

When I saw the Crown preview show live. I thought it was exciting. But I thought .. they’ll never clean this drill. So I don’t put all of the issues solely on Subel, even tho he struggles to articulate a concept on the field and the scale vs WGI seems to be out of his grasp. BUT the drill writing is too schizophrenic for me .. nothing sets or resolves it just seems to be always moving to something else. As far as fixing issues .. folds transitions. Seems like they had a lot of kids out sick post San Antonio when they probably wanted to make changes. There was a point where they just decided to ride it out. 

I don’t think this team’s skills complement each other and I don’t think there will be changes but I hope they refine the approach. Way too broad this year and the details just did not resolve going into finals. 

1 hour ago, BWise said:

Well .. there certainly were issues on a number of fronts but I give Crown credit for trying something different for them and the activity. The top five corps’ shows except Crown to me were disappointing as they were reincarnations of their last competitive show. Really BDs .. so similar in look feel and staging to Ghostlamp or other shows  .. Boston basically has run the same approach for now 5 years .. finally getting it down but very simple drill with CG carrying the visual .. it’s clean and concise but really is an extension of the shows done by that team at Crown. Bluecoats.. a continuation of the Beatles shows/groovy theme that are so similar. 
SCV .. still hanging on to the vestiges of Babylon with their props visual and arrangements. 
I don’t think any of these shows were bad or unlikable but it’s not like there is a huge amount of stretching artistically/design for these corps. Kind of a status quo year to me in retrospect.  

When I saw the Crown preview show live. I thought it was exciting. But I thought .. they’ll never clean this drill. So I don’t put all of the issues solely on Subel, even tho he struggles to articulate a concept on the field and the scale vs WGI seems to be out of his grasp. BUT the drill writing is too schizophrenic for me .. nothing sets or resolves it just seems to be always moving to something else. As far as fixing issues .. folds transitions. Seems like they had a lot of kids out sick post San Antonio when they probably wanted to make changes. There was a point where they just decided to ride it out. 

I don’t think this team’s skills complement each other and I don’t think there will be changes but I hope they refine the approach. Way too broad this year and the details just did not resolve going into finals. 

In what way was Crown doing something new? The app? 

Opener starting with percussion for build up and  finishing that movement with a drill formation that spread the entire length of the field and a long, resolved chord. Brass never plays below fortissimo for the entire length of the opener (I’ll give Crown credit for starting with the fortissimo brass in the opener of 2019 rather than percussion). They move onto the next movement (that’s always about 2x the length of the opener) with the standard technical double and triple tonguing passages and plenty of gratuitous runs that they’ve been doing for years and years and the movement closes with 3 notes rather than playing a long chord, same as usual. Move onto a majestic sounding ballad where they show off their ability to achieve great dynamic contrast, replaying the same melody over and over. Percussion break right after starting with the pit for a smooth transition and then moving into the battery. Closer with some more technical music but this time with complex rhythmic passages rather than double and triple tonguing finishing off with geometric drill that leads into the crown set. All of which has synth vocals and sounds weaving in and out of the show. On YouTube, there’s a video showing just how similar the closing moments of all crown shows are for crying out loud, down to the b flat major chord. 

The main difference between crown 2017-2019 and crown 2022 is that they went from abstract and meta show concepts to a very literal one. Adding an app does not all of a sudden make Crown’s show different this year. And that’s fine, ALL corps have a formula. In the 80s and 90s, it was called having an identity. For whatever reason, in 2022 it is seen as a negative thing to put down other corps for

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Opener starting with percussion for build up and  finishing that movement with a drill formation that spread the entire length of the field and a long, resolved chord. Brass never plays below fortissimo for the entire length of the opener (I’ll give Crown credit for starting with the fortissimo brass in the opener of 2019 rather than percussion). They move onto the next movement (that’s always about 2x the length of the opener) with the standard technical double and triple tonguing passages and plenty of gratuitous runs that they’ve been doing for years and years and the movement closes with 3 notes rather than playing a long chord, same as usual. Move onto a majestic sounding ballad where they show off their ability to achieve great dynamic contrast, replaying the same melody over and over. Percussion break right after starting with the pit for a smooth transition and then moving into the battery. Closer with some more technical music but this time with complex rhythmic passages rather than double and triple tonguing finishing off with geometric drill that leads into the crown set. All of which has synth vocals and sounds weaving in and out of the show. On YouTube, there’s a video showing just how similar the closing moments of all crown shows are for crying out loud, down to the b flat major chord. 

The next copypasta?  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BWise said:

There might be some changes for 2023..

7 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Crown is a corps with a split personality. Their shows are, either, really sophisticated with an interesting theme or they are a corny halftime show for a ballgame. 

If halftime bands played like that, I’d go to more games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not unusual to continue the post mortem on the just completed season, on the upcoming year’s thread.

So, if there’s one single aspect of RHRN that could have been changed/added/eliminated, that might have eked out just enough increase in score to put them in the medals, what say you?

This is a sincere query. More than a few of you regular contributors and frequent visitors have extensive knowledge and I find your comments to be extremely informative.