Carolina Crown 2023

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I have no clue how far out corps have their show concepts picked out, but they certainly do play to their identity, all of them do. Designers want their product to be recognizable, so that people know "oh yeah, that was definitely designed by that guy" 

And as I said, we have such a large diversity of identities in drum corps that there's an ideal spot for everyone who auditions for a corps

Makes sense, especially when you see the connection to a designer wanting to have their own identity. Sort of like coaches, who want to be known for doing things a certain way—it establishes their brand.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

All corps have a formula, even Crown. That's just a fact. Klesch is very good at what he does, but his brass arrangements are as formulaic as BD's, all the way down to the 3 note ending he has at the end of every single 2nd movement. Crown's visual design is not as formulaic, but that's only because their visual design team is still finding their identity. 

All corps have some sort of formula they go to. It is up to us fans to choose which formulas we like and which we don't. I loved Crown's formula pre-2017. I've loved BD's formula ever since 2008, you don't. And that's okay. It's a good thing that all these corps have such distinct identities that allow us to pick and choose which ones we enjoy and which we don't. Maybe one day the current Crown design staff will move into a formula I enjoy

Klesch has the most recognizable arranging style in all of the marching arts. BD has a very recognizable approach if you know what to listen for. These two corps, plus perhaps SCV, are the absolute gold standard of somehow having a single brass tone for their entire show, regardless of which season they are in. Phantom is pretty obvious because they have always emphasized low brass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Crown is due for a breakout program. They certainly have and can attract the talent, and they can manage a season. Just have a sense that these recent show design mistakes will not be repeated in 2023.

They are due for an E=mc2

I’m on board with you. Besides, I’ve eaten enough crow in my lifetime to have actually acquired a taste for it.

Goes down a lot better with an IBC Cream Soda or Killian’s Irish Red.

Edited by nsxanax
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Also they have played music by Queen several times.  😀

Still waiting for a Crown rendition of Under Pressure, but I fear Vanilla Ice might have ruined that for at least one generation.

Everyone has a similar sound year to year because of who arranges for them. That will never change unless the arranger changes (i.e., BK this year). However, if I were to listen and watch a stream of Crown shows, I wouldn't really say they are the same thing year to year. 2019 and 2022 were very different in show concept. But if I were to listen to a stream of BD shows, then I would see more similarities. I very much enjoyed BD in 2016, 2018 and 2019. But some of their shows that seem repeated are the ones that I don't really like that much, such as 2017 and 2022, and that is because I can never really grasp onto what is going on. Sure there are parts of those shows that I liked and said "wow", but BD is much more formulaic than other corps, and props to them because it works. I just think that some people want to see something different from BD. Bloo finds a way to add something new every year (skin tight uniforms, keytars, massive props, etc.). Crown might sound similar but the show designs are not the same, and they always set the standard for brass features. Either way, every corps has an identity, and they rely on that year to year, it would just be nice to see something different every now and then from all corps.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Queen.  Crown’s name comes from their beginnings in Charlotte, NC- “the Queen City”.

I didn’t know that.  Cincinnati is the Queen City, too.  In fact, there was a drum corps called the Queen City Cadets from Cincinnati that all of the Acheson brothers marched in.  My husband, too, before he went to Kilties. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Everyone has a similar sound year to year because of who arranges for them. That will never change unless the arranger changes (i.e., BK this year). However, if I were to listen and watch a stream of Crown shows, I wouldn't really say they are the same thing year to year. 2019 and 2022 were very different in show concept. But if I were to listen to a stream of BD shows, then I would see more similarities. I very much enjoyed BD in 2016, 2018 and 2019. But some of their shows that seem repeated are the ones that I don't really like that much, such as 2017 and 2022, and that is because I can never really grasp onto what is going on. Sure there are parts of those shows that I liked and said "wow", but BD is much more formulaic than other corps, and props to them because it works. I just think that some people want to see something different from BD. Bloo finds a way to add something new every year (skin tight uniforms, keytars, massive props, etc.). Crown might sound similar but the show designs are not the same, and they always set the standard for brass features. Either way, every corps has an identity, and they rely on that year to year, it would just be nice to see something different every now and then from all corps.

Wow. You say alot but not much meaning into it. Nice try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1