Carolina Crown 2023

On 8/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, nsxanax said:

Not unusual to continue the post mortem on the just completed season, on the upcoming year’s thread.

So, if there’s one single aspect of RHRN that could have been changed/added/eliminated, that might have eked out just enough increase in score to put them in the medals, what say you?

This is a sincere query. More than a few of you regular contributors and frequent visitors have extensive knowledge and I find your comments to be extremely informative.

For me, there was too much "dead air" in the show during the lengthy percussion sections (whole beginning of show and then the lengthy amount of time leading up the brass-waving-streamers). I know it wasn't actually 'dead air', but it knocked me out of the excitement. The pit/percussion music during those sections didn't seem to really "build up" or excite me.. there were a few times it was increasing in energy/volume/excitement, then it just died down again.. too many hills and valleys.

I'm a brass guy though, so I find most interludes of percussion boring, and Crown's were just excessively long for me.

I will say though I found it MUCH more boring on Flo than in person, but in person I definitely was wandering during those length sections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I didn’t know that.  Cincinnati is the Queen City, too.  In fact, there was a drum corps called the Queen City Cadets from Cincinnati that all of the Acheson brothers marched in.  My husband, too, before he went to Kilties. 

Interesting.  I just learned from Wikipedia there are at least 40 cities in the US that have the nickname “Queen City” or “Queen City of the xxxxxx.”  Charlotte and Cincinnati appear to be the two primary examples.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Wow. You say alot but not much meaning into it. Nice try.

Lol just let it be. You could provide a nice numbered list of all the ways Crown's shows are formulaic but all you'll get in response is "sorry didn't bother reading it" or "but BD is formulaic-er!!!!" 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Lol just let it be. You could provide a nice numbered list of all the ways Crown's shows are formulaic but all you'll get in response is "sorry didn't bother reading it" or "but BD is formulaic-er!!!!" 

Kind of sad that anyone would have such a list.  Do you sleep with it under your pillow at night?  

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Kind of sad that anyone would have such a list.  Do you sleep with it under your pillow at night?  

My point exactly, thank you skevinp! It IS quite sad that people seem to always have a list of ways BD’s shows are formulaic. All while under the delusional that all other corps don’t also have their own little recipebook. Maybe a fairy will leave something under the pillow for them in exchange for the list 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Wow. You say alot but not much meaning into it. Nice try.

What meaning did you want? I was simply putting out there that BD has more similar shows year to year than other corps. I don't need to offer you a dissertation on the history of drum corps shows. I am not trying to please anyone. I was speaking my mind. Someone pointed out that Crown's shows are the same year to year because the music sounds the same. I said that they sound similar but that does not mean the shows are the same. Pretty simple concept if you ask me. People get mad when others say that BD's shows are the same thing over and over, but it is somewhat the truth. And I gave kudos to them because they keep winning. I also said that all corps have their own style, but that doesn't mean that their shows are similar year to year. So thank you for thinking I did nothing for you and having to call me out on it to get a couple of reactions.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, Chief Guns said:

I don't want to put words in your mouth, I just want to respectfully understand your point of view. 

Are you saying that BD isn't winning fair and square, they only win cause they have the judges in their back pockets?

No I’m not. 

On 8/21/2022 at 12:33 PM, MikeRapp said:

Some corps have had very obvious design themes, most notably Phantom Regiment and in the past, Madison Scouts. You pretty much knew what to expect every season. Phantom still retains many of their expected idioms.

Santa Clara Vanguard has usually been symphonic music with highbrow themes.

Blue Knights had a consistent musical theme for a decade and then suddenly and purposefully changed it—and look what happened. This has to strike fear into every show designer.

Bluecoats had no such concept until Tilt. Then they grabbed onto sound design and went with that momentum into modern and eclectic “fun”. Costuming and set design evolved the idea and now Bluecoats are established as “the cool kids.” Their shows are predictably unpredictable. But if you listen you can hear repeating concepts in their arrangements. 

BD is likewise predictable in their approach. Their costuming has stayed pretty much the same for a decade at least. Their sound design is virtually identical. Their shows are thematically very similar, and only recently has set design evolved. Musically they repeat many if not all of the same ideas every season—right down to the big ballad to close Act 2 with the corps in a block stage left (or right).

As you very succinctly identified, Crown is literally repeating their show designs and simply sliding a different visual on top of them. The brass arrangements are almost identical. These are not stupid people so they have to know they are doing this, right?

Thanks Mike for the balanced opinion .. which maybe I did not say well previously. I was simply trying to state if the opinion is Crown does the same thing(s) .. others are certainly near or in the same category. 

I still feel like this year was very different visually from anything they have done before.  Musically. Ok. I’m probably convinced but I sonically like it. 

• Thanks 1