Carolina Crown 2023

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Fair enough. 

I also don't think that BD isn't winning fair and square. That staff knows what they are doing and the kids are incredible performers. Their shows check every box they need to to win. This year was well deserved for BD. Might not have been everyone's cup of tea, but they performed the hell out of their show and deserved the gold.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BWise said:

Thanks Mike for the balanced opinion .. which maybe I did not say well previously. I was simply trying to state if the opinion is Crown does the same thing(s) .. others are certainly near or in the same category. 

I still feel like this year was very different visually from anything they have done before.  Musically. Ok. I’m probably convinced but I sonically like it. 

In total agreement with you 

6 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

I also don't think that BD isn't winning fair and square. That staff knows what they are doing and the kids are incredible performers. Their shows check every box they need to to win. This year was well deserved for BD. Might not have been everyone's cup of tea, but they performed the hell out of their show and deserved the gold.

This echoes my exact thoughts in such an elegant way. Everyone's hating on the show when they really have a problem with the judging

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

This echoes my exact thoughts in such an elegant way. Everyone's hating on the show when they really have a problem with the judging

IMHO it's judges allowing "taste" to color their interpretations of the sheets.  It seems many want to imagine that DCI is evolving into some high art form (deep meanings, intellectual underpinnings, etc...) when it is and always will be movement, spinning, and music on a football field.  But you hear many designers talk about their designs as if they were approaching "broadway productions".  Sorry to deflate the egos of so many but it's just band.   

I though Crown's production this year was a big slap to that mindset.  It was more about excellence and entertainment and far less about the pretentious "depth of design" that some would have us believe is "high art".  It was REFRESHING to see a program who's intent was (1) showcase the excellence of the members (2) engage and entertain the audience.    Moreover an honest read of the sheets would reveal that you can reward such a design as it's meeting all the criteria on paper.  Finally the performers are given product that is just FUN to perform.  Who decided drum corps should no longer be fun for both members and the audience?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

IMHO it's judges allowing "taste" to color their interpretations of the sheets.  It seems many want to imagine that DCI is evolving into some high art form (deep meanings, intellectual…….

K hasn’t held forth much on the ‘23 thread to date, but he sure as h@ll still knows how to pick his spots.

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

My point exactly, thank you skevinp! It IS quite sad that people seem to always have a list of ways BD’s shows are formulaic. All while under the delusional that all other corps don’t also have their own little recipebook. Maybe a fairy will leave something under the pillow for them in exchange for the list 

I don’t think most people believe other corps don’t have their go to concepts. But they don’t win a gold medal three out of four years.

22 minutes ago, karuna said:

IMHO it's judges allowing "taste" to color their interpretations of the sheets.  It seems many want to imagine that DCI is evolving into some high art form (deep meanings, intellectual underpinnings, etc...) when it is and always will be movement, spinning, and music on a football field.  But you hear many designers talk about their designs as if they were approaching "broadway productions".  Sorry to deflate the egos of so many but it's just band.   

I though Crown's production this year was a big slap to that mindset.  It was more about excellence and entertainment and far less about the pretentious "depth of design" that some would have us believe is "high art".  It was REFRESHING to see a program who's intent was (1) showcase the excellence of the members (2) engage and entertain the audience.    Moreover an honest read of the sheets would reveal that you can reward such a design as it's meeting all the criteria on paper.  Finally the performers are given product that is just FUN to perform.  Who decided drum corps should no longer be fun for both members and the audience?  

Who decided the other shows aren’t also fun? I have no issues with whatever Crown does, and you may love it as the pinnacle of the activity. But to imply that Crown focuses on fun while the other corps are focusing on not fun…that’s kinda snooty

Ive always thought of Crown as the marching band every high school marching band wishes it could be. Which is a great idea imo for a whole lot of reasons.

But to imply that Bluecoats isn’t at least as much fun…or Phantom or SCV…hard pass. 

P.S. Arguably the best show Crown ever put on a field was Inferno…which is as highbrow as you can get.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, karuna said:

Who decided drum corps should no longer be fun for both members and the audience?  

No one. Two of the three medalists were crowd favorites receiving standing ovations throughout their respective shows. The third crowd favorite came in 4th place. Nothing has changed: demand and execution still matters for the gold. A fun show or an intellectual show can equally accomplish that. 

And to echo MikeRapp’s question, who does decide if a show is fun or not? BD was hardly a crowd favorite this year, but the members seemed to be having quite a bit of fun in the victory run video BD posted on YouTube. And they’ve been getting quite the enthusiastic reaction after Moon River and Tank throughout the season

I’m totally with you on deflating the egos of the designers, however. Just read the descriptions of the shows on every corps’ website. Quite pretentious and more often than not does not actually get communicated to the audience. Props to Crown for actually communicating theirs. 

• Like 4

Just as a conversation starter, does anyone think that the judges being contained to the sidelines makes judges miss things (good or bad) that would alter scores? And does anyone think that judges being back on the field will ever come back? I think percussion is one that really suffers from not being able to follow around the battery when they go more towards backfield

Just now, TigerBaritone19 said:

Just as a conversation starter, does anyone think that the judges being contained to the sidelines makes judges miss things (good or bad) that would alter scores? And does anyone think that judges being back on the field will ever come back? I think percussion is one that really suffers from not being able to follow around the battery when they go more towards backfield

From what I've seen of headcam videos and being in a marching band, watching and listening to a show when you're on the field vs from the stands are two completely different experiences. I think the score alterations could go either way. Either someone does something cool and gets some extra points, or someone screws up in a way not obvious to fans, but obvious to judges

• Like 1