Carolina Crown 2023

I don't know about you guys but I've had the "Right here, right now!" part stuck in my head for weeks now and I couldn't be happier. Not every drum corps fan analyzes a show down to the decimal point. Some of us just like a song but can't describe why. It just sticks with us. And that's okay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

I am sincerely not trying to pick on you, but every drum corps including Crown has weaknesses and their show concepts are hit or miss depending on the year. Corps don't typically try to sound like each other. It is well known that Crown are known as brass innovators and rely heavily on their brass to be competitive. In my opinion, it will take more than tweaking for Crown to be positively consistent in show concept and design. But, I haven't enjoyed a Crown show since 2016.

Well if you read what I wrote I do think I mentioned that no show was perfect. All shows do have weaknesses. Some more than others.  Even BD had weaknesses in their show design this year. I was not wild about the closer most of the summer, and even at the end it was OK. 

As for the last part of what you said I think it's clear that is your opinion and I am cool with that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I don't know about you guys but I've had the "Right here, right now!" part stuck in my head for weeks now and I couldn't be happier. Not every drum corps fan analyzes a show down to the decimal point. Some of us just like a song but can't describe why. It just sticks with us. And that's okay.

Absolutely! Whether you like Crown or not they put a lot of people on their feet this past summer. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

I'm sure they will. Ironic you would say get off my high horse considering you are a fan of an activity that is growing more pompous, arrogant, and snobby every year. By the way, you have to believe them that they will be listening to this show for years to come. Trust me. There is much better in the history of drum corps than this show.

I'll be sure to let people know when I want a line from the TV commercial stuck in my head. I can't believe that I'm witnessing people that think a show that revolves around a TV commercial line is called a good show concept.

I'm a fan of seeing my kids that I teach going on and continuing their love of performing. 

I'm a fan of seeing all kids continuing their love of performing. 

I'm a fan of music, first and foremost.

I'm sorry that you have to come down so hard on people on a message board, and the corps who aren't your favorite, to feel better about yourself. Now I know why people continue to bring up the ignore option, because some people just don't know when to stop and calm down. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ZTWright said:

The "narration" in Right Here, Right Now was always rhythmic outside of the preshow announcement. It added a layer of musicality to a certain extent, albeit too much at times.

Bluecoats narration was literally spoken word overtop of music that could have been cut down just as much as Crowns repetitive name sake, which would have still made sense and probably have been more enjoyable.

That's where the difference is. 

I get the differences. Just don’t care to draw creative lines in the sand. 

With this much discussion activity, this early in the season, definitely liking CrownTHREAD’s chances of repeating this year🥇🏆.

• Haha 5

The show was fine. They placed fourth .. kids enjoyed it .. fans enjoyed it. Looked pretty good .. sounded really good. What else is there to say ?  I kinda picked this fight last week saying it was “different” but …

“CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?”

lol … 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, Cappybara said:

No one. Two of the three medalists were crowd favorites receiving standing ovations throughout their respective shows. The third crowd favorite came in 4th place. Nothing has changed: demand and execution still matters for the gold. A fun show or an intellectual show can equally accomplish that. 

And to echo MikeRapp’s question, who does decide if a show is fun or not? BD was hardly a crowd favorite this year, but the members seemed to be having quite a bit of fun in the victory run video BD posted on YouTube. And they’ve been getting quite the enthusiastic reaction after Moon River and Tank throughout the season

I’m totally with you on deflating the egos of the designers, however. Just read the descriptions of the shows on every corps’ website. Quite pretentious and more often than not does not actually get communicated to the audience. Props to Crown for actually communicating theirs. 

funny....Allentown is known to be a non BD crowd, and they got one of the best reactions of the weekend

• Like 4

On 8/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, TigerBaritone19 said:

Just as a conversation starter, does anyone think that the judges being contained to the sidelines makes judges miss things (good or bad) that would alter scores? And does anyone think that judges being back on the field will ever come back? I think percussion is one that really suffers from not being able to follow around the battery when they go more towards backfield

yes and no. the percussion thing is affected good and bad.....the pit gets far more attention than they used to. so while the battery may have stuff missed, the pit actually gets attention. even with perc 2 for several years, the pit really didnt get love because upstairs in a dome, brass covered stuff up. i do think the perc judge should be able to go a little further out, but it's a trade off.