Carolina Crown 2023

I didn't care for Crown's opening and the crowd participation stuff.  Felt like band.  But they tried something new and different and they should get credit for that.  I'm glad Drum Corps doesn't look like it did in 1972.  50 years of the same thing.....?  That would be Drum Bore.

It sure looked like the kids in Crown were having fun too and that's what counts.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Hmmm, a bit of a provocative question for Crown fans, in their design and programming approach for 2023, they go “back to basics”, yea or nay? If yea, what does that look like? If nay, what do y’all want them to do differently from this year?

well basics would be back to 1990 then right?

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well basics would be back to 1990 then right?

While ‘89 SCV & PR are my personal gold standards, it’s hard to imagine such shows making a dent in the top six of 21st century DCI.

24 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

If that’s what it looks like to you then sure! part of my question is asking what that looks like for people as well haha

well technically basics goes back to day 1

2 hours ago, nsxanax said:

While ‘89 SCV & PR are my personal gold standards, it’s hard to imagine such shows making a dent in the top six of 21st century DCI.

Two of my favorite all time shows are SCV and Phantom in 1989, so when the debate about which corps should have won surfaces, I’m happy either way.

Would either of the shows as presented in 1989 make the top 6 this past year? Probably not, but if we had the same judging standards in 1989 that we have today, would we have seen these shows? Probably not. If you look at Blue Devils in 1976 when avoiding tics was the standard, the show was impeccably clean. If Blue Devils show for, let’s say 2012 or 2013 was judged based on tics, the judges would not know what to do with equipment being dropped or rifles being tossed with no one to catch them, though this made sense with the sheets of today.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering here...but do think any of the corps members checked out the 2022 Crown thread during the summer? It seems if they had they would have read a lot of the complaints and suggestions thrown out constantly....some of the suggestions were very doable. If I were a corps marcher and read the suggestions I would have immediately tried to convey those ideas to the staff that had that power to change things up. Had they done some of that they could've medaled. I know they were constantly busy and working hard all the time but I'm sure with 150ish kids there should've been a few that would have the time to check it out. I'd like for some of the kids to check out this thread next year and maybe get ideas from the posters...as I said, some of those ideas that were mentioned in the 2022 thread were really good. Some were suggested early in the season with plenty of time for them to make changes. 

It would really be amazing if they were to  at least medal in 2023. I would prefer them to take the title, it'll be the 10th anniversary of 2013.   I'm hoping they can win another title before Bloo reaches it's 10th since 2016. I haven't been the biggest fan of them since 2016. It's petty and unjustified but I just felt they stole Crown's thunder. Everyone wanted Crown to win in 2015 and when they didn't they wanted it even more for them the next year...except Bloo came out with a killer concept that took the focus off Crown. Don't get me wrong...they deserved the 2016 title, but I wish it had been Crown. 

I hope I don't get very much grief for this post...I could be totally wrong and unjustified but that's how I feel. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

Just wondering here...but do think any of the corps members checked out the 2022 Crown thread during the summer? It seems if they had they would have read a lot of the complaints and suggestions thrown out constantly....some of the suggestions were very doable. If I were a corps marcher and read the suggestions I would have immediately tried to convey those ideas to the staff that had that power to change things up. Had they done some of that they could've medaled. I know they were constantly busy and working hard all the time but I'm sure with 150ish kids there should've been a few that would have the time to check it out. I'd like for some of the kids to check out this thread next year and maybe get ideas from the posters...as I said, some of those ideas that were mentioned in the 2022 thread were really good. Some were suggested early in the season with plenty of time for them to make changes. 

It would really be amazing if they were to  at least medal in 2023. I would prefer them to take the title, it'll be the 10th anniversary of 2013.   I'm hoping they can win another title before Bloo reaches it's 10th since 2016. I haven't been the biggest fan of them since 2016. It's petty and unjustified but I just felt they stole Crown's thunder. Everyone wanted Crown to win in 2015 and when they didn't they wanted it even more for them the next year...except Bloo came out with a killer concept that took the focus off Crown. Don't get me wrong...they deserved the 2016 title, but I wish it had been Crown. 

I hope I don't get very much grief for this post...I could be totally wrong and unjustified but that's how I feel. 

Bluecoats 2016 didn't necessarily "deserve" the title. GE is what won the title. Otherwise it was the dirtiest championship show I've personally had the pleasure of seeing.

I will continue to make my designer perspective suggestions on the Crown threads, but I doubt any of our ideas will be given a second glance.

• Thanks 1