Carolina Crown 2023

3 hours ago, TOC said:

Probably the press release. 

ZTWright posted, "Prior to Music City, Roach was with the Cavaliers in several roles including Director of Programs."   Then your post of 10/10 said, "He's got a leg up on any other candidates as he was director of Music City, and The Cavaliers."  So I'm thinking, ZT implies his highest position with the Cavies was Director of Programs and JJ says Director.  Too me, Corps Director is higher up the ladder.  Then I confused everyone by typing a confusing question I guess. 

My post was directly copied and pasted from Crowns Facebook post...so it wasn't my words at all...so I think you're the one that may have gotten confused.

12 hours ago, TOC said:

Probably the press release. 

ZTWright posted, "Prior to Music City, Roach was with the Cavaliers in several roles including Director of Programs."   Then your post of 10/10 said, "He's got a leg up on any other candidates as he was director of Music City, and The Cavaliers."  So I'm thinking, ZT implies his highest position with the Cavies was Director of Programs and JJ says Director.  Too me, Corps Director is higher up the ladder.  Then I confused everyone by typing a confusing question I guess. 

You're great.

I'm to the point now where I read articles, news, and press releases written strangely and I just have gloss over reading too deeply. If I didn't do that,  I would go crazy with the poor editorial decisions and suboptimal choices happening in news and written media. 

I'd like Crown's brass to play louder in 2023....they're always loud but not as much as other top corps. I do know that they play cleaner rather than louder....which is why they're always on top...placed first and second every year since 2009....I don't know about them in 2010 though. The loudest I've heard them play was 2012's "For the Common Good". I always thought they were the loudest but listening to them on cd has changed my mind. Especially for 2016 recording. they won the ott but BD, Bloo sounded louder. Oh well...cleanliness is better...and I guess I don't want my eardrums to rupture seeing how I always have it to max volume. 😛 

Edited by WildcatMello
  • Haha 3

On 10/13/2022 at 6:50 AM, WildcatMello said:

I'd like Crown's brass to play louder in 2023....

Without the electronic enhancement of 2019

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can’t wait to see what kind of brass line they field this year. They are always amazing, but each one tends to have its own flavor, it’s own tone quality, and own personality. I am curious which one we get this time around. It seems the hornlike talent has been skyrocketing the last few years again. Wonder if they choose a more aggressive flavor or a more sultry flavor. I guess it depends on the show design of course. 

Also intrigued by the staff changes. Wonder if there will be more. 

This is from the Crown instagram page.

Assisting Visual Designer, Jeff Sacktig
and Artistic Director, Rick Subel will be a newly created Choreography & Visual Production team under the leadership of Andy Ebert (Production Supervisor) and
Tyler Edrington (Choreography Supervisor).
We are also excited to welcome our latest additions to the choreography team; Mike Jackson, John Escalante
and Kassie Gonzalez!
carolinacrown.org/staff

On 10/13/2022 at 6:50 AM, WildcatMello said:

I'd like Crown's brass to play louder in 2023....they're always loud but not as much as other top corps. I do know that they play cleaner rather than louder....which is why they're always on top...placed first and second every year since 2009....I don't know about them in 2010 though. The loudest I've heard them play was 2012's "For the Common Good". I always thought they were the loudest but listening to them on cd has changed my mind. Especially for 2016 recording. they won the ott but BD, Bloo sounded louder. Oh well...cleanliness is better...and I guess I don't want my eardrums to rupture seeing how I always have it to max volume. 😛 

You can’t judge how loud a brass line on a CD. Horn-for-horn, Crown is loud enough (and was loudest in 2016 in opinion) - contrary to your statement above. Take the electronic boosts away from the other 2 corps you mention and the sound would have been much different on a recording. 

Crown’s brass is unique with that signature sound that balances volume with utter lushness. Pound for pound, as loud as any corps of the there.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1