Carolina Crown 2023

10 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Jeff, is it your opinion that Klesch is flawed?

nope. but percussion and brass to be the utmost successful at this level has to be a marriage of equals.

go listen to Phantom 08.....Shaw and Rennick's opus until 18.

Bloo 16. 

BD any year based on results, but especially 14. 

and IMO, Crown 15 and 16. 

my biggest beef with Crown was in 19 with the amplification at certain times mixed with brass being so over powering when they turned it off, the volume difference was glaringly noticeable to people with no hearing.

i also thought last year was a pretty close partnering of equals. 

Klesch writes incredible stuff and Harloff teaches it. But the team all on one wavelength is what takes one to the top now. not be Klesch's fault tho some in percussion world may want to point fingers in that way.

and here's another thing...sometimes long partnerships stop working as well as they once had. Given the new perc teams philosophies and approach. i'm very curious to see how this year pans out. Opposites can attract and make magic.

• Like 4

Jeff,

I agree with everything you say and appreciate your reasoned response to my somewhat provocative question. In some ways this is a nuanced discussion. I'm certain Michael's partnership with Thom was an equal one. What has changed is the evolution of percussion integration, particularly soundscape. So the balance of the elements has been affected in a way that differs from their collective writing style. I suspect they tried to alter their approach, but a soundscape-led style isn't in their creative DNA.

They have their style, but there is a do si do that has occurred recently between some other brass arrangers and percussion/soundscape people. It has been a struggle about who is the leading. creative voice. I have seen this up close. I've seen a couple of excellent brass writers be treated as stenographers by their percussion counterparts. 

I can think of three of the activity's best writers who lost that battle. I doubt that two of them will ever write in the activity again, and the third is diminished. The unfortunate result of the activity's search for the next new thing, I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Jeff,

I agree with everything you say and appreciate your reasoned response to my somewhat provocative question. In some ways this is a nuanced discussion. I'm certain Michael's partnership with Thom was an equal one. What has changed is the evolution of percussion integration, particularly soundscape. So the balance of the elements has been affected in a way that differs from their collective writing style. I suspect they tried to alter their approach, but a soundscape-led style isn't in their creative DNA.

They have their style, but there is a do si do that has occurred recently between some other brass arrangers and percussion/soundscape people. It has been a struggle about who is the leading. creative voice. I have seen this up close. I've seen a couple of excellent brass writers be treated as stenographers by their percussion counterparts. 

I can think of three of the activity's best writers who lost that battle. I doubt that two of them will ever write in the activity again, and the third is diminished. The unfortunate result of the activity's search for the next new thing, I guess. 

It always changes and to add to it you leave out the biggest change: visual. Sure the sheets are 50/50 music to visual, but is the commentary? No. Music commentary continues to get more and more about physical and environmental demands that can affect the musical performance. But visual commentary rarely discusses musical impacts on visual performance. I had hoped the effect proposal would have passed to reverse the trend a little but no. Also glad to see more percussion gurus speaking out about the change in 19 with judges and calling out the visual world for pushing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Yes. More than a few visual judges are out of their depth when it comes to appreciating/understanding/crediting music design and its impact on the total program. Like you I had hoped for a change back. 

Like in baseball... pitching coaches are either former pitchers or catchers.  Hitting coaches were position players.  There is zero crossover.

I recommend the That Dan Band podcast. The very Crown topic the last 2 pages is discussed by someone that had skin in the game

• Like 1

The banter is so refreshing between you guys. You aren't going at each other like some posters did all last season. This way it's easier for me to understand different concepts and how it can all be put together in a civilized way. Thanks guys.

I've wondered so much about why Crown's perc scores are so low...it's nice to kind of fill in the blanks to that question. Not entirely since I still can't figure it out when I listen to them compared to other corps. They sound just as skilled a lot of the time so I'm still kinda lost about that. 

24 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

So Crowns pit staff to BAC? Is Crown the only corps that BAC can poach from? Asking for a friend. 

Aagghh more of the dopey poaching baloney. So are all new crown staff poached from elsewhere?  Same logic, right.  Staff moving from one corps to another isn’t poaching. It’s staff moving to new gigs.  For a variety of reasons.  Some self directed, some disinvited.  Let’s finally end the poaching commentary.  It’s getting old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2