Carolina Crown 2023

Ok so. 

1) The thumbnail has a screen shot with one of those columns of fabric circled.  I was half interested if he'd talk about how difficult those were to clean and if there was some sort of intention in not having them perfectly clean and if perhaps even the shape was not actually a rectangle of fabric given the swirly effect.  But there's now mention of this part of the show in the video..wtf?  I feel a bit clickbaited!

2) OH THE ORANGE THING IS AN INFINITY SYMBOL. How the heck did I not see this all season?  I'm even more obsessed with it.

3) For all the flack the ballad cloth got, I still think it was super effective. Particularly on the pull out reveal.  Here I note that it WAS an oval and not a circle.  So the design here was not going for geometric perfection but more 'fabric in motion' effects.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

2) OH THE ORANGE THING IS AN INFINITY SYMBOL. How the heck did I not see this all season?  I'm even more obsessed with it.

It’s still available for purchase at the crown store lol 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

It’s still available for purchase at the crown store lol 

[measures the back patio]

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

There’s a longer video that includes the four fabric pieces at 

https://www.stridetv.com/programs/inside-drum-corps-ep1?categoryId=108700

ah thanks

ETA: Yeah that does sort of affirm the 'its about the movement of the fabric not the geometry of the shapes."

My brain is just trained on what seems to be more old school geometry on the field through drill forms than motion.  So it sort of bothered me all season they never made nice clean shapes with those four banners.   

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

Listening to Jeff explain the ideas of the show last year really shows how simple the show was. I think they performed the heck out of the show with what they were trying to do and I am looking forward to this season. Also thought it was interesting that he tries to incorporate a crown set within the theme of the show instead of just having it there. I still love seeing the traditional crown set, but Jeff is a master at what he does, so no complaints here haha. Hope everyone has been well. Go Crown!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

1 hour ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

Listening to Jeff explain the ideas of the show last year really shows how simple the show was. 

Wonder how those fans who want the shows designed so the mm can easily tell the story feel about some not getting a good read/understanding until late in the season.

4 hours ago, TOC said:

Wonder how those fans who want the shows designed so the mm can easily tell the story feel about some not getting a good read/understanding until late in the season.

You can't satisfy everyone. Design the show you want to put on the field and give the members a good summer. The rest is just a bonus.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Ok so. 

1) The thumbnail has a screen shot with one of those columns of fabric circled.  I was half interested if he'd talk about how difficult those were to clean and if there was some sort of intention in not having them perfectly clean and if perhaps even the shape was not actually a rectangle of fabric given the swirly effect.  But there's now mention of this part of the show in the video..wtf?  I feel a bit clickbaited!

3) For all the flack the ballad cloth got, I still think it was super effective. Particularly on the pull out reveal.  Here I note that it WAS an oval and not a circle.  So the design here was not going for geometric perfection but more 'fabric in motion' effects.

When I first saw it I thought they were a nudibranch.   I need to get out of the lab more often. 

Flabellinopsis iodinea

• Haha 4