Carolina Crown 2023

5 hours ago, fifer said:

Is there any reason Crown's prop crew cannot consist of people from outside the actual member base?

Depending how many props have to be moved and how many times they need to be moved during rehearsals and shows, it would be tough having a fulltime crew.  Even having part time volunteers would be even harder.  More meals, sleeping locations, transportation, if needed, to and from the corps current location, how in shape are these volunteers?  The logistics/expenses might never make this worth it.  Watch some DCI shows in recent years where you see the props being moved on to the field and you'll get an idea of how many people would be needed.  With many props designed to be moved easily during the show by mm, let them move them.

Edited by TOC
  • Like 1

I can see that as an argument for not having props. But if you're going to do it, do it right. A non-member crew can allow the members to focus on the show, help avoid injuries (both by members only moving the props in the show and having people more familiar with the props maintain them), you have extra hands to help in other areas, etc. I'm fine without props, but if you decide to take on the extravagance of props, you should do it right and safely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fifer said:

I can see that as an argument for not having props. But if you're going to do it, do it right. A non-member crew can allow the members to focus on the show, help avoid injuries (both by members only moving the props in the show and having people more familiar with the props maintain them), you have extra hands to help in other areas, etc. I'm fine without props, but if you decide to take on the extravagance of props, you should do it right and safely.

Yeah, like pay people to do manual labor.   Not beg 16 to 21 year-old bandos to do it for free (oops, I mean "have the Crown experience").  Do they want unpaid prop workers that they can also harvest for alternates? Is that why they have to be under 21?

Edited by ykw

2 hours ago, ykw said:

Not beg 16 to 21 year-old bandos to do it for free (oops, I mean "have the Crown experience")

I don't think corps are going to give mm credit for moving props during the season.  Moving props, painting fields,  etc. is part of the experience.

12 hours ago, fifer said:

Is there any reason Crown's prop crew cannot consist of people from outside the actual member base?

Possibly?

7 hours ago, TOC said:

Depending how many props have to be moved and how many times they need to be moved during rehearsals and shows, it would be tough having a fulltime crew.  Even having part time volunteers would be even harder.  More meals, sleeping locations, transportation, if needed, to and from the corps current location, how in shape are these volunteers?  The logistics/expenses might never make this worth it.  Watch some DCI shows in recent years where you see the props being moved on to the field and you'll get an idea of how many people would be needed.  With many props designed to be moved easily during the show by mm, let them move them.

Do prop-movers on the field count towards the 165-member limit?  
And I wonder what the tuition is for a prop-mover?  After all, the prop caption head, assistant prop caption head, and prop movement techs need to get paid as well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ykw said:

Yeah, like pay people to do manual labor.   Not beg 16 to 21 year-old bandos to do it for free (oops, I mean "have the Crown experience").  Do they want unpaid prop workers that they can also harvest for alternates? Is that why they have to be under 21?

Paying folks to do the manual labor of prop movement could cause issues in venues where there are Union theater-types.   Unless the Corps hires Union prop-movers.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ykw said:

No, prop crew members are their own thing. Also, Kevin Shah posted a percussion chunk: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtCuxO8ApBa/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Unless the Corps hires Union prop-movers.  

There's a startup business that could happen if DCI survives the next few years.  AFLCIO might want some more union members.

• Haha 1

You’d think there’d be more than a few AARP types that might have sufficient time & $$ resources to “spend” a chunk of summer reliving or fulfilling unrequited/realized drum corps glory through osmosis. 

But I’m guessing age limits apply to anyone on the field of competition?