Carolina Crown 2023

1 minute ago, nsxanax said:

You’d think there’d be more than a few AARP types that might have sufficient time & $$ resources to “spend” a chunk of summer reliving or fulfilling unrequited/realized drum corps glory through osmosis. 

But I’m guessing age limits apply to anyone on the field of competition?

There’s a Reddit thread and one of the prop guys from last year explains it from his perspective. He comments a ways down explaining how it worked last season. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

There’s a Reddit thread and one of the prop guys from last year explains it from his perspective. He comments a ways down explaining how it worked last season. 

That was an illuminating read…thanks!

Prima facie, I’d think it might appeal to some young adults of a certain age. But if they snag another Founders Trophy in ‘23, I’d be lookin’ for my ring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nsxanax said:

You’d think there’d be more than a few AARP types that might have sufficient time & $$ resources to “spend” a chunk of summer reliving or fulfilling unrequited/realized drum corps glory through osmosis. 

Min. age for aarp is 50.  Those who might be interested, physically able to do it, and survive the heat, might not want to sign a corps waver for not getting sued by Uncle John's family.

1 hour ago, nsxanax said:

But I’m guessing age limits apply to anyone on the field of competition?

Haven't been to a show recently it seems.  No age limits on the field prior to the beginning of a show.   Overage volunteers help set up "stuff" and most synth operators are over 22.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TOC said:

Min. age for aarp is 50.  Those who might be interested, physically able to do it, and survive the heat, might not want to sign a corps waver for not getting sued by Uncle John's family.

Yea, I’ve had that mile marker in my rear view for better than a decade now.

Personally, I’d love to go the way of Bill Cook—a’ la Star—but my net worth barely registers 6 digits. Far cry from Mr. Cook’s estimated $3B shortly before his passing in 2011.

Better to cull the ranks of Gen Z than push the actuary tables for late Boomers and X er’s.

49 minutes ago, TOC said:

Haven't been to a show recently it seems.  No age limits on the field prior to the beginning of a show.   Overage volunteers help set up "stuff" and most synth operators are over 22.  

No, not since last year. Though I’ll readily concede my powers of observation and field awareness are in considerable decline…

• Haha 1

Gotta say....I haven't felt this excited about a Crown show since 2016. Looking at their photos on facebook they really look serious about it this year. i think this is a show they can medal with. i haven't felt that way this early in the season again since 2016. Sure, they medaled in 2017 but I dunno....it just wasn't very enjoyable to me. 2018 was very strange...what i remember most was those rope/flag things they used in the ballad that just didn't work...2019 i think they shoulda medaled...last year....the chanting of RHRN 15 and the dirty drill made it my least favorite Crown show since 2003. This year I expect big things. I don't think GE will be a problem with them this year like it was previously. 

Did I ramble on too much?

• Like 4

I think All is Full of Love may become a candidate for the fans choice, ballad of the year. Of any piece being played this year by a corps, hearing this one is what I am most anticipating. 

We have heard Hunter, the overture to  Dancer in the Dark, 107 Steps, and a few others from Bjork on the field over the years. ( Of course with Crown this year, add Bachelorette to that list too).  But All is full of Love has been on my list of “ the music corps should do” for quite some time. (This piece, and many of her songs from the album Vespertine, would be  my choices to note  in Lances’ thread). 

Bjork may be known for a genre of music that is uniquely her own. Her weird lyrics, odd time signatures,  and unique polyrhythmic layers and beats in her music, are things to admire and love about her.  But this piece is just beautiful and emotional, perhaps different from many of her other songs. It showcases her incredible vocal range,  perhaps the best of any of her songs. 

The “small, yet mighty Valkyrie”- as Rza from Wu Tang once called her, after doing a collaboration. 

I am sure Crown is going to play this with all the power and emotion each and every night that you see here. Very much looking forward to hearing it this year. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2023 at 11:44 PM, TOC said:

synth "operators" are members performing on the field and thus under 22.