Carolina Crown 2023

17 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

From what I've seen of headcam videos and being in a marching band, watching and listening to a show when you're on the field vs from the stands are two completely different experiences. I think the score alterations could go either way. Either someone does something cool and gets some extra points, or someone screws up in a way not obvious to fans, but obvious to judges

I just think that being a percussion judge would be difficult to hear the battery if the judge is in front of the brass and next to the pit. I just think scores might fluctuate a little bit for that caption alone. Brass is one that I don't think matters all that much that the judge is on the sideline as that is where they always were anyways.

2 hours ago, karuna said:

IMHO it's judges allowing "taste" to color their interpretations of the sheets.  It seems many want to imagine that DCI is evolving into some high art form (deep meanings, intellectual underpinnings, etc...) when it is and always will be movement, spinning, and music on a football field.  But you hear many designers talk about their designs as if they were approaching "broadway productions".  Sorry to deflate the egos of so many but it's just band.   

I though Crown's production this year was a big slap to that mindset.  It was more about excellence and entertainment and far less about the pretentious "depth of design" that some would have us believe is "high art".  It was REFRESHING to see a program who's intent was (1) showcase the excellence of the members (2) engage and entertain the audience.    Moreover an honest read of the sheets would reveal that you can reward such a design as it's meeting all the criteria on paper.  Finally the performers are given product that is just FUN to perform.  Who decided drum corps should no longer be fun for both members and the audience?  

I’ll echo @Cappybara & @MikeRapp saying who says the other shows aren’t fun, but I’ll also underline what I mentioned a million pages back and what all of the other dissenters are getting at in this thread: why can’t it be fun and a slap in the face to bloated intellectual designs, but still be well-designed and purposeful and detailed out from top to bottom? A design where every prop and piece of source music and moment of choreography serve to clarify the intent of the show, not muddle it. That’s how Crown regains their footing as a consistent medalist corps. That is the only missing piece in my opinion. Keep a fun show; great! Just make it make sense from top to bottom. Downside Up did that. Rach Star did that. Tilt did that. RHRN did not. Have fun moving forward - just make sense out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will reiterate. Crown finished fourth in one of the deepest top 12s ever. We are sounding like they barely made finals. 

Boston won their first ever silver medal this year. In any previous season Crown would have won bronze. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Boston won their first ever silver medal this year

this triggered my inner wicked games fangirl

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Who decided the other shows aren’t also fun?

Not me.   Didn't mention another corps in my post. 

But to imply that Bluecoats isn’t at least as much fun

Again.  You're just putting words in my mouth. Didn't say it.  Didn't imply it.

P.S. Arguably the best show Crown ever put on a field was Inferno…which is as highbrow as you can get.

If you think Inferno (the show) was high brow,  I'm not sure there's a point in continuing this discussion.    Yes the original text could be considered high brow by some (although the audience for the Inferno was hardly the academic elite).  In fact it's pretty much the opposite.  But Crown's production was a simple journey of evil into redemption and not really re-telling of the Inferno at all.  But if it were -- the Inferno was written for the common man and not the intellectual elite. 

Yeah Bluecoats was fun (although it leaned so heavily on narration I personally have a problem with the design).  IMO all shows should stand on their own without the narration and I don't think their production would have made any sense at all without the constant explanation provided by the nearly continuous voice over.  

Drum corps performances in general are fun for the performers; it's ultimately why they pay so much to participate.   Also they are still young, impressionable kids who will believe just about anything their design team tells them about their show.  So of course most members "buy in" to the concepts they're given.  

9 minutes ago, karuna said:

Not me.   Didn't mention another corps in my post. 

Again.  You're just putting words in my mouth. Didn't say it.  Didn't imply it.

If you think Inferno (the show) was high brow,  I'm not sure there's a point in continuing this discussion.    Yes the original text could be considered high brow by some (although the audience for the Inferno was hardly the academic elite).  In fact it's pretty much the opposite.  But Crown's production was a simple journey of evil into redemption and not really re-telling of the Inferno at all.  But if it were -- the Inferno was written for the common man and not the intellectual elite. 

Yeah Bluecoats was fun (although it leaned so heavily on narration I personally have a problem with the design).  IMO all shows should stand on their own without the narration and I don't think their production would have made any sense at all without the constant explanation provided by the nearly continuous voice over.  

Drum corps performances in general are fun for the performers; it's ultimately why they pay so much to participate.   Also they are still young, impressionable kids who will believe just about anything their design team tells them about their show.  So of course most members "buy in" to the concepts they're given.  

Dude come on.

Inferno, compared to RHRN…is HIGH brow! It’s every bit as serious as Boston this year. And it was the same subject matter!

As far as narration…whatever. I mean why not say shows shouldn’t have props? It’s a unique art form that is open ended. Almost every single show now as some form of narration. Including RHRN.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Dude come on.

Inferno, compared to RHRN…is HIGH brow! It’s every bit as serious as Boston this year. And it was the same subject matter!

As far as narration…whatever. I mean why not say shows shouldn’t have props? It’s a unique art form that is open ended. Almost every single show now as some form of narration. Including RHRN.

Lol you're reaching hard if you're calling the phrase RHRN "narration". 

And good v evil is as basic (as in UN-High-Brow) a concept as ever existed.  There's nothing at all high-brow about that production.  

It's marching band on a football field.  Get off your high horse and wallow in the mud with rest of the bandos!  

Edited by karuna

The "narration" in Right Here, Right Now was always rhythmic outside of the preshow announcement. It added a layer of musicality to a certain extent, albeit too much at times.

Bluecoats narration was literally spoken word overtop of music that could have been cut down just as much as Crowns repetitive name sake, which would have still made sense and probably have been more enjoyable.

That's where the difference is. 

On 8/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, nsxanax said:

Not unusual to continue the post mortem on the just completed season, on the upcoming year’s thread.

So, if there’s one single aspect of RHRN that could have been changed/added/eliminated, that might have eked out just enough increase in score to put them in the medals, what say you?

This is a sincere query. More than a few of you regular contributors and frequent visitors have extensive knowledge and I find your comments to be extremely informative.

A LOT of drill changes/edits to fix transitions.

Less fabric.

Better stowing of equipment.

More of a pop of color. Maybe more orange on the guard uniforms to tie into the brass sashes, which would have remained sashes. Them using them as links to each other just allowed for the judges to see how dirty the drill was, which is a HUGE mistake on the visual design staff's part.

Less "Right Here, Right Now"s throughout the show.

A reprise of Chandelier in the closer since it was heard in the opener, throughout the second movement, and the vocals at the beginning of the ballad. Don't tie it into the first 3 movements and then leave it be.

Adding in the 2013 Mello lick.

Less exposure, more full ensemble moments with more dynamic contrast. 

I also would have taken elements from their past shows and threw them in as Easter eggs. Could have had a mini version of the jungle gym and had a drum major raise it up at the end of the show a la 2012, the 2013 Mello lick, etc. The big moments from past shows that made you live in the "right here, right now" with Crown. 

Those are just a few of my ideas. I could rewatch the show and take notes for changes made in each movement, but I also don't have the time.

• Thanks 2