Carolina Crown 2023

I hope Crown goes back to the simplicity that they were best at from 2006-2016. The design team just has not had a focused idea since they joined in 2017. Crown is best when they don’t think too hard about what they’re communicating and just do. I hope they come back very strong next year 

• Like 6

I think it's time for Rick Subel to go, and a new face to bring a fresh look to Crown. I want Michael Klesch and Jeff Sacktig to stay, but Jeff also needs to edit his drill a little better than he did for 2022. The forms should not have been collapsing the way they did. That drove me crazy every performance from a visual designer standpoint.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arabica said:

I don't think a clean sweep is necessary but I do have questions about artistic director/program coordinator Rick Subel. Michael Klesch and Jeff Sacktig both have track records of tremendous success, and they didn't create their designs in a vacuum. I don't know how long Rick has been at the helm of programming at Crown, but the 2022 program certainly felt like a "beat them over the head with everything and the kitchen sink" approach. Hoping for significantly more focus and elegance from Crown in 2023.

If you are Crown, and you take your arrangement approach and apply that to your show design, you have problems. Same exact thing happened to Cadets with the same results. 

In design, less is usually more.

Its easy to have hindsight now. Bottom line to me is, if you show design is almost entirely dependent on crowd participation—in this day and age of repetitive viewing and online analysis—you are taking a very big risk. Imo too big of a risk. My guess is their leadership would agree, in hindsight.

• Like 3

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I loved Right Here Right Now, and wouldn't mind seeing something similar again in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ZTWright said:

I think it's time for Rick Subel to go, and a new face to bring a fresh look to Crown. I want Michael Klesch and Jeff Sacktig to stay, but Jeff also needs to edit his drill a little better than he did for 2022. The forms should not have been collapsing the way they did. That drove me crazy every performance from a visual designer standpoint.

Completely agree

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

If you are Crown, and you take your arrangement approach and apply that to your show design, you have problems. Same exact thing happened to Cadets with the same results. 

In design, less is usually more.

Its easy to have hindsight now. Bottom line to me is, if you show design is almost entirely dependent on crowd participation—in this day and age of repetitive viewing and online analysis—you are taking a very big risk. Imo too big of a risk. My guess is their leadership would agree, in hindsight.

Bottomline is it’s been like 5 seasons of the performance captions being medalist worthy and everything else pretty much not being. 

I think they need to do a complete 180 in show design.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Bottomline is it’s been like 5 seasons of the performance captions being medalist worthy and everything else pretty much not being. 

I think they need to do a complete 180 in show design.

They just need better design thinking. They are phenomenally talented. They just gotta resist the urge to keep pushing more stuff onto the field, and trust the story.

• Like 1

I thought Crown's brass performance last night would be enough to get them the Ott. No matter what, that was a fantastic performance, and Crown will continue to be a beacon for top brass talent.  I think the corps can march and move a lot better and expect it next year.  I don't pretend to know much about visual design, but I'm hoping for more than big fabric and streamers attached to rods next year for the big visual impact moments.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dsundercover said:

A lot of it could have to do with how challenging a particular set of drill is to get clean. I guess my point is I don’t think Crown made an active decision to not clean their show until the end of the season. I’m sure they were trying their best to clean it all season. 

Agreed.  Crowns overall show was one of the most demanding on the field this year; pulling together the app, audio, fabric manipulation, one of the more challenging music books, and some of the hardest drill was an undertaking.  Drill wise, I think BD was the only other corp I saw with some drill formations and speed similar to Crown.  Not taking anything away from Boston or Bluecoats (who had amazing shows), but their shows were simpler to execute than BD or Crown.

Crown did an amazing job. And honestly, I disagree with their placements and the GE captions. IMO, the judges got it very wrong as I don’t feel (as a fan) there was anything close to as great as this show was this year. But I also think back to decades past when the Scouts had fan favorite shows and blew everyone away with how loud they were, and the judging didn’t align with how many in the audience felt. 

Returning to the point, Crown was cleaning all season.  The drill changes were harder to make and I think it took their design team some time to figure out how to do them. But they pulled off a beautiful production in the end. So proud of them. 

• Like 1

Because of my self professed ignorance on drill design in particular and my rudimentary—if not archaic understanding of the activity in general—I’m loathe to fault find with any corps show, especially Crown.

I will only say this: a CrownSET from day one of the season I found unusual. Crown faithful are generally losing their minds if we don’t see it by Atl or NightBEAT. But it’s something we wait for and anticipate every year.

Figured it was an omen of some sort.  

Perhaps a non issue in the big scheme of things, but it stayed in the back of my mind the whole season.

• Like 3