Carolina Crown 2023

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

I don’t know what it is but I completely agree with the time period.  2016 was the last year I absolutely loved one of their shows.  

That said, this year is the show I have liked the most since then, so maybe they are moving in the right direction.

There may be some changes coming next year that might move them in the right direction

1 hour ago, ZTWright said:

If you see something, say something. What's going on that you know and we don't?

We are currently in the season where a bunch of DCP posters will smugly post about how they know something but won’t actually say what it is. It’s all just self-fellatio and happens every single year at this time of the year 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We are currently in the season where a bunch of DCP posters will smugly post about how they know something but won’t actually say what it is. It’s all just self-fellatio and happens every single year at this time of the year 

Naturally, which is why I asked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

Naturally, which is why I asked.

Don’t expect an answer. They’re busy drowning in their smugness 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WarriorWay said:

honestly, take like any frank sullivan show from the 5/6 grade and some from the 4 page and those would be better than the past competitive 4 seasons

No. Not at all. I've seen too much Frank Sullivan over the years overdone. I will take the 2002 show before I take a Frank Sullivan show at this point. 

No disrespect to the man, just too many bands reusing his shows.

• Like 2

The show design could have been better, yes. But they get paid to do what they do at Crown and everyone on here is behind a screen telling them what to do, and not even a few days after they finished their first tour in 3 years. Relax. It got 4th place, hardly a failure. All season I was caught up in numbers because Crown was doing well and I wanted them to score a certain number each night. But once Finals rolled around, and I watched that performance, numbers and placement meant nothing. Winning meant nothing. The crowd participated and responded. One of two of the loudest reactions that night. The show was fun and the brass was fantastic. CrownGuard is back and the percussion is much better than 2012-2014 (some would say it was a train wreck this year because of numbers). Might I remind people that the Leon May and Townsend team only won one championship. As fantastic as that team is, they only won once (I would argue they should have won multiple times, but that is beside the point). That one championship was years in the making. We are on year 4 of this design team and they have stayed consistently around the top 3 each year, which many corps would kill for if they completely overhauled their design teams.

All of this to say, don't hit the "eject" button just yet for crying out loud. The design staff are in these positions for a reason. Did Crown try something risky this year? Absolutely. Did it work out perfectly for them? No, but watching multi-cam on Saturday showed me that what they set out to do was accomplished, which was to perform a show that got the crowd participating and that the show was fun to watch as well as perform. The look on those kids' faces tells me all I need to know. If you think drum corps is just about holding up the Founder's Trophy at the end of the year and that certain members of the design staff should be fired or just leave so that the corps can get that trophy again, then you are in the wrong in my eyes. Of course I would love for Crown to win again, but I just love watching Crown shows and listening to their godly brass.

I hope everyone stays healthy and well, and I look forward to what next year brings. But first, let's just appreciate the fact that competitive drum corps is back after 2 years. It truly is a blessing that we still have it.

• Thanks 3