Staff Merry-go-round

16 hours ago, C.Holland said:

do remember, they're going to specialty fabricators for these things.  you can do the same much cheaper if you have a theatre tech director and local fabrication shop.   I sell designs for carts and props, that band dads can assemble from unistrut.   

I'm an engineer.

I've got a few questions :

1. Are there Code requirements, including  OSHA that  props have to comply with ?

2. Do prop designs require plans signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer or Licensed Architect ?

3. Do the prop designers have to provide instructions for assembling, dissembling, transporting and

maintaining props.

4.Do corps have to keep any type of log concerning prop maintenance,  repairs, etc.  ?

5.Do prop designers and fabricators have to carry Liability Insurance in case a prop fails ?

Looking at some of the props used for shows like "downside up" and this years Mandarins,

there's a lot of potential liability if a kid get hurt, in a fall.

Or if a prop fails due to design or error in assembly ,disassembly or maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, craiga said:

Something just occurred to me....except for BD, who almost always finds a way to win,  it seems like the corps who chose to field a "real" show in 2021 (BAC, BLOO, CADETS, PHANTOM,  ET AL) all had very successful seasons in 2022.  The corps who did not tour last year however (Crown, SCV, Cavies, etal) seemed to lose ground.  Perhaps rather than blaming designers and staff, some of these corps directors' own decision making should be called into question...

Crown maintained the status quo vs losing ground.  They didn’t tour but they did field a corps that went through a five week Spring training.

1 minute ago, DrummerParent said:

Crown maintained the status quo vs losing ground.  They didn’t tour but they did field a corps that went through a five week Spring training.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not especially buying that the lack of 2021 tour especially impacted those corps adversely.

I wouldn't even say that they only maintained status quo aside from just final placement. They performed the heck out of a musically and visually demanding show. Three other corps happened to be better, and I can't attribute that to 2021 at all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks Eric. He's the reason I became a professional dancer and I've told him as much. I didn't know you could go to school for dance until I learned from him. 😉

I feel the same way about locked knee marching and locked knee jazz runs. Just so much of what is being taught is done for the sake of everybody looking the same and not proper technique. I teach around pulling (stretching) away from the ground and lengthening the legs and torso. My bones ache watching the fundamentals that are being taught.

You should be a WGI movement judge. Your grasp of this is far better than a lot of people I judge local circuits with.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

1. Are there Code requirements, including  OSHA that  props have to comply with ?

2. Do prop designs require plans signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer or Licensed Architect ?

3. Do the prop designers have to provide instructions for assembling, dissembling, transporting and

maintaining props.

4.Do corps have to keep any type of log concerning prop maintenance,  repairs, etc.  ?

5.Do prop designers and fabricators have to carry Liability Insurance in case a prop fails ?

Looking at some of the props used for shows like "downside up" and this years Mandarins,

Or if a prop fails due to design or error in assembly ,disassembly or maintenance.

These are all good questions, and I imagine the corps have at least thought about these if they haven't taken further action in terms of liability. I still question the effectiveness of some of the props I see being used. In many cases I felt no emotional attachment to the props, nor did I find them to be very effective or to have some greater meaning to the show. Some corps use them very well, others do not. In most cases I feel they lack meaning or effectiveness other than they take up space on the field. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thanks Eric. He's the reason I became a professional dancer and I've told him as much. I didn't know you could go to school for dance until I learned from him. 😉

Hope you’re doing well, if anything the community here will continue to be more civil and engage more positively, especially when it comes to issues that relate to preventing chronic ailments for marching members. It’s and yeah, if movement looks seamless, it probably is as the body isn’t exerting itself to an unhealthy degree!!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I'm an engineer.

maintaining props.

WGI has a 6ft rule. Any time a foot is placed above 6 feet you must have a harness, cable to stop you if you fall, and/or a cushioned surface underneath. I believe the cellist was the only one that followed that guideline. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

WGI has a 6ft rule. Any time a foot is placed above 6 feet you must have a harness, cable to stop you if you fall, and/or a cushioned surface underneath. I believe the cellist was the only one that followed that guideline. 

DCI has the 6 ft rule that you must have railings, but it's not enforced - Boston is a good example of not following the guidelines.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I'm an engineer.

maintaining props.

How did I ever survive a childhood that included metal monkey bars, stainless steel slides, and wooden see-saws? Oh right. Common sense and a few band-aids here and there.