Staff Merry-go-round

19 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’m not sure OSHA is applicable here.  By definition it is for worker safety.  What is on a field, performing, the mm’s,  are not workers.  OSHA safety specifications can be incorporated into DCI guidelines but those would be guidelines, not laws.

I would need to do more research to see if the Occupational Safety and Health Agency covers non profit performing arts organizations for the non paid, non employee performers. DC org employees fall under OSHA, I’m not sure what occurs on the field does.

First off what defines a "worker" ?

One could argue that people who assemble/disassemble props are "workers".

If I were DCI and the corps (one and the same) I would have their attorneys look into this

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Crown maintained the status quo vs losing ground.  They didn’t tour but they did field a corps that went through a five week Spring training.

I would love to hear corps staff address this.

But to keep it comes down to having a design thinking philosophy based on story telling. Crown had a terrific season. They are one of the best corps in the world. They just made some bad design decisions.

Bluecoats made similar mistakes with Jagged Line.

32 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

If I were DCI and the corps (one and the same) I would have their attorneys look into this

I agree that a look by an attorney experienced in this area of law is a good place to start.   One question that comes to mind is ‘If a school is putting on a theater production and a student is injured (or worse) by a poorly designed set, to what degree is the school liable?  Civilly liable, or could criminal charges be filed against various employees?  

• Like 1

Can we create a new topic on prop safety???

this is for staff changes 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

Also Performing Members (you can call them actors and musicians) and Volunteers fall under OSHA standards

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I’m not sure OSHA is applicable here.  By definition it is for worker safety.  What is on a field, performing, the mm’s,  are not workers.  OSHA safety specifications can be incorporated into DCI guidelines but those would be guidelines, not laws.

I would need to do more research to see if the Occupational Safety and Health Agency covers non profit performing arts organizations for the non paid, non employee performers. DC org employees fall under OSHA, I’m not sure what occurs on the field does.

WGI looked into this and anyone who is more than 6 feet off the ground MUST have some form of fall protection per OSHA guidelines!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

WGI looked into this and anyone who is more than 6 feet off the ground MUST have some form of fall protection per OSHA guidelines!

Defined as either a safety railing, a safety harness, or protective padding. Or any combination of the 3.