Staff Merry-go-round

On 8/15/2022 at 9:50 AM, MikeRapp said:

I wonder how Boston’s success will impact east coast recruiting. Any thoughts on this?

I think this is an interesting question.  The bulk of the hornline in Boston this year were from Texas, particularly from three universities there, as well as some national championship high school bands.   In New England, the average high school marching band has around 50 total members, and there is literally only one serious college marching band around here....UMASS.   At the end of the day,  you have to go where the members are.   I think you're going to continue to see a large amount of Texas kids in BAC for the foreseeable future.  As a life long New Englander, I have no problem with this.  The Texas kids are great!  They are incredibly talented players, are not fazed by Texas heat on tour, and are amazingly polite.  As a group, they are incredible...even though they insist on putting hot sauce on their eggs at breakfast!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I find it funny that some people didn't get or were confused by the Helen Keller reference.

Regarding  this topic, the staff shakeups are stressful, but I'm looking forward to seeing who is going to replace the various positions. I'm looking forward to seeing what new combinations of people will bring.

everyone GOT IT. It was obnoxious, rude, and I chose to respond with humor. ok?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, craiga said:

I think this is an interesting question.  The bulk of the hornline in Boston this year were from Texas, particularly from three universities there, as well as some national championship high school bands.   In New England, the average high school marching band has around 50 total members, and there is literally only one serious college marching band around here....UMASS.   At the end of the day,  you have to go where the members are.   I think you're going to continue to see a large amount of Texas kids in BAC for the foreseeable future.  As a life long New Englander, I have no problem with this.  The Texas kids are great!  They are incredibly talented players, are not fazed by Texas heat on tour, and are amazingly polite.  As a group, they are incredible...even though they insist on putting hot sauce on their eggs at breakfast!

I don't think it matters at all.... bac is doing very well and recruiting hasn't been an issue since fall of 2016.... 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I find it funny that some people didn't get or were confused by the Helen Keller reference.

I support one of the companies owned by my employer. 

I commented once in a meeting, “It would be easier working with Helen Keller than this bunch.”

More than once person asked who I was referring to. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, craiga said:

so the Tarpon connection is not as prominent?

57 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

everyone GOT IT. It was obnoxious, rude, and I chose to respond with humor. ok?

Yeah, well you weren't the main target, but you  were also insensitive about something else that floored me so....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I'm reading on Twitter Crossmen brass staff is out. 

Stephen Mason stepping down per facebook

Sorry to hear; Crossmen had a nice sound this year and at least at DCI prelims  ; they came in 8 th place in brass.  Its the Program Director who really needs to better coordinate with the design team on a program that better connects with the audience.  The talent with regards to the performers is absolutely there; the overall show design not so.  With the exception of 2012 and 2019, the Crossmen have not found a " winning formula " to produce  " fan excitement "  ; fan buzz" that other corps have been able to do.  I am hopeful that the design team can really turn it around for next year and the years ahead. There are so so many Crossmen fans out there  who want to feel the emotion and excitement of a drum corps that is near and dear to our hearts.

• Like 3