Staff Merry-go-round

I think you guys really don't take into account the money it takes to be a Top 5 and even Top 3 drum corps. It is not only about the show design and the staff. It is the tour and how well your tour and feed the kids, time sleeping on the floor, the money for food, travel, staff, props and everything else. Design and staff are a very important part of that equation, yes, but the current top 5 are what they are because of the money that they have compared to 6-10 and 11-15 etc (speaking very generally).

• And corps like Cavies have done a lot on very little money compared to the Top 5.
  • And there are a few lower placing and even out of finals corps that have money (bingo especially) that don't place higher because they are not making the right design team, staff, tour financial decisions.

Just my "two cents" based on helping run a few decent corps. = )

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, njthundrrd said:

I think you guys really don't take into account the money it takes to be a Top 5 and even Top 3 drum corps. It is not only about the show design and the staff. It is the tour and how well your tour and feed the kids, time sleeping on the floor, the money for food, travel, staff, props and everything else. Design and staff are a very important part of that equation, yes, but the current top 5 are what they are because of the money that they have compared to 6-10 and 11-15 etc (speaking very generally).

• And corps like Cavies have done a lot on very little money compared to the Top 5.
  • And there are a few lower placing and even out of finals corps that have money (bingo especially) that don't place higher because they are not making the right design team, staff, tour financial decisions.

Just my "two cents" based on helping run a few decent corps. = )

Stop buying new unis every year would save a lot of money. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Stop buying new unis every year would save a lot of money. 

No one in the finalist class is buying uniforms. They all have sponsorship deals with the uniform companies. They change them every year now for product placement to help the companies make lucrative sales to scholastic programs. It's like Nike/Addidas/UA sponsoring x sports team for visibility. 

I personally feel it's led to big cost explosions lower down the chain, but that is another discussion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Algernon said:

How much does it cost to swap out uniforms/costumes? Do you have a figure or just throwing out random accusations? 

On the high end, ours cost $130 for digitally printed tops and pants, and we passed the cost on to the members, who got to keep the uniforms.  *No net cost to the corps at all.*  On the low end, one year we did just digital tops, while using basic black bibbers.  Cost the kids $70.  This was back at the beginning of the digital revolution, and our deal got better every year we kept using them.  

Mike

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

On the high end, ours cost $130 for digitally printed tops and pants, and we passed the cost on to the members, who got to keep the uniforms.  *No net cost to the corps at all.*  On the low end, one year we did just digital tops, while using basic black bibbers.  Cost the kids $70.  This was back at the beginning of the digital revolution, and our deal got better every year we kept using them.  

Mike

In other words, not this:

"Stop buying new unis every year would save a lot of money."

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Mike

and several groups are selling the digital stuff. i know my wife has received and processed stuff at GuardCloset

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edited by njthundrrd