Staff Merry-go-round

14 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I loved Weber's work with SCV. However, those were the days of drill heavy visual designs. Surely he can adapt to an emphasis on staging first and drill second. But the Cavies just let go of a guy who gets modern DCI "drill," and demonstrated it tremendously from 2016-2019 (and maybe even 2022 also), so I'm not sure what Cavies are expecting to get.

I think “tremendously” may be an over exaggeration. I would say more like adequately.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I loved Weber's work with SCV. However, those were the days of drill heavy visual designs. Surely he can adapt to an emphasis on staging first and drill second. But the Cavies just let go of a guy who gets modern DCI "drill," and demonstrated it tremendously from 2016-2019 (and maybe even 2022 also), so I'm not sure what Cavies are expecting to get.

I have loved the Cavies musical trajectory for the past several years.  I've been less impressed by any of their visual productions during that time, and I think a big part of it is that by finals they've still been very dirty...and I know they got hit with Covid this year and that's part of it, but it's not just this year I'm talking about.  I think it's a combination of problems with the design itself and the field instruction, so my big question is are they hiring new field staff as well?

At any rate, since the Cavies have (to me) become very music forward in their overall design approach, I think Weber would be an absolutely perfect match for them.  He's brilliant at taking long musical passages and creating visual ideas that just blossom and morph into each other, and I think that will complement what I've heard from the Cavs musically of late.  Your question about whether he could adapt to what gets rewarded in 2022 is a good one, though.  Gaines was able to meld drill with staging into a winning production, and I guess maybe it would be a bit of a risk to hope that Weber could do the same.  

Edited by Lance
2022 not 20222

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

I have loved the Cavies musical trajectory for the past several years.  I've been less impressed by any of their visual productions during that time, and I think a big part of it is that by finals they've still been very dirty...and I know they got hit with Covid this year and that's part of it, but it's not just this year I'm talking about.  I think it's a combination of problems with the design itself and the field instruction, so my big question is are they hiring new field staff as well?

At any rate, since the Cavies have (to me) become very music forward in their overall design approach, I think Weber would be an absolutely perfect match for them.  He's brilliant at taking long musical passages and creating visual ideas that just blossom and morph into each other, and I think that will complement what I've heard from the Cavs musically of late.  Your question about whether he could adapt to what gets rewarded in 2022 is a good one, though.  Gaines was able to meld drill with staging into a winning production, and I guess maybe it would be a bit of a risk to hope that Weber could do the same.  

Imho…Weber and Saucedo would be a dream team for the Cavaliers. The corps would also need the right artistic direction to help incorporate modern staging.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Thanks 1

SCV’s corp director Rebecca Compton-Allen is taking on the position of Director of Project Management within the organization.

So I imagine we’ll soon have an announcement about another new Corps Director in the near future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hirsbrunner said:

SCV’s corp director Rebecca Compton-Allen is taking on the position of Director of Project Management within the organization.

So I imagine we’ll soon have an announcement about another new Corps Director in the near future.

thats for the nonprofit if I am not mistaken? So she could probably do both.

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

ok i secretly want weber to end up at phantom regiment, but the cavaliers were always the awesome drill design corps to me. I would love to see them pick up pete weber and do a more drill focused visual design. I believe 100% that kind of design can still be successful in todays dci. And I know a ton of fans are just dying for that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Jeremy Hunt

5 minutes ago, Algernon said:

Jeremy Hunt

He'd be great for them. While Estudillo did just fine at Regiment, I wish Hunt would've worked out there.

Hunt working with Cavies will be the ultimate irony given what he said during the Flo broadcast a few years ago...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

He'd be great for them. While Estudillo did just fine at Regiment, I wish Hunt would've worked out there.

Hunt working with Cavies will be the ultimate irony given what he said during the Flo broadcast a few years ago...

What did he say…? LOL

3 minutes ago, college-phan said:

What did he say…? LOL

Yeah, something with the all male corps. They're, they're - you can push them, because, uh it's all male. I-it's not that, uh, uh, uhm I'm trying to think of a way to say it. You can push them with clear direct information because they're male. I don't know. It's a different kind of thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1