Staff Merry-go-round

17 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

What about the questions with brass?? Really the only caption I’m not concerned with is percussion. For 2023 I’ll just be happy if the Cavaliers make Finals. 

Saucedo is a proven, Hall of Famer name, so the brass will hopefully be ok. Saucedo also did pretty well at BOA as well as with the Cavalier's championship shows... I'm sure he's gonna be fine.

JH is a known name, but not an elite name, but he wrote Phantom's drill in 2021.

I hope he can step up his game a little, but at least he has experience.

I have no idea about the guard, but they seem to be young and involved with the "right" top guards.

Yes, I agree that percussion isn't a concern.

All that should be enough to trend up next year at least...

Edited by jjeffeory
Correcting inaccurate information.

8 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

They are proven vital to the corps to place 4th. Now it's time for some new blood. Also, not sure if you noticed, but part of the new percussions title has the word "design" in it. Now, I'm not saying they're the magical fix, because I believe that Rick Subel is the major problematic factor in the design category, but one can only hope that the new percussion staff can help some design issues. 

Also, let's not forget that Thom Hannum is still on staff, so it wasn't an entire percussion staff purge.

Whelp,

Every year I'm going to give Crown a serious and enthusiastic watching!

I don't see a problem with them getting 4th a few times. They do need to loosen up a little bit, and maybe the percussion moves will help with that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Saucedo is a proven, Hall of Famer name, so the brass will hopefully be ok. Saucedo also did pretty well at BOA as well as with the Cavalier's championship shows... I'm sure he's gonna be fine.

JH is a known name, but not an elite name, but I thought Phantom's drill and props were pretty decent last year.

I hope he can step up his game a little, but at least he has experience.

I have no idea about the guard, but they seem to be young and involved with the "right" top guards.

Yes, I agree that percussion isn't a concern.

All that should be enough to trend up next year at least...

Jeremy Hunt didn’t write for Phantom last year.

32 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Jeremy Hunt didn’t write for Phantom last year.

Ooops, He did in 2021. That's my bad. Whelp, I didn't care as much for Phantom's 2021 drill, so I guess I'm hoping he really steps up from there!

I do like his other work with Leander though, and Regiment 2015's Paris show drill was creative.

We gotta try and nurture talent, so since we can't get Gaines or P. Weber, it's up to JH to flex.

Edited by jjeffeory

58 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, I LOVE me some Crown historically, but maybe it's show design and not performance that is holding them back?

(2nd) 2015 should have won.

(3rd) 2016 was a gem, but nothing was going to deny Downside up or whatever BD played that year that I hated....

(3rd) 2017 - IT IS: For me, I'm not super down with Little Fugue in G minor, and the singing tanked the show, yet they landed 3rd.

(4th) 2018 - Beast: What was with the drill? The whole show was a let down design-wise. The performers rocked the heck out of that stuff.

(4th) 2019 - Beneath the Surface: Not my favorite design, but they polished that "gem" as well as it could have been. The ballad was a bit long, and probably drug the rest of the show down.

(4th) 2022 - Right Here, Right Now: Just not checking all the boxes emotionally for me and maybe the GE judges, but  brass was top notch! Ah, I see the percussion caption lower.

....so it seems like it's the design that's the "issue" to me.

IIRC they had the same design from whenever to 2016, which included 2012/2013 so overall could be considered a winning team. 

Then for 2017 they left and got a new design team who got them third again. Not a bad placement considering what that year was, but design was weird

2018 I want to say was new design as well and thats where the strings of fourth have started. I agree that design is the issue. It also is hard because 18 we had bloo back in top 3, and obviously Devs and SCV top 2. 2019 we had those three in the top 3, and then 22 was a wild card with BAC in instead of SCV. I think maybe instead of focusing all in on winning brass they could diversify a little bit. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

What about the questions with brass?? Really the only caption I’m not concerned with is percussion. For 2023 I’ll just be happy if the Cavaliers make Finals. 

i can't imagine Saucedo will allow hacks to teach his stuff

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

And keep you from helping anyone else, too. 

How so? Not-for-profits are dying for new folks these days. As long as your ethics align with their ethics it should be good to go.

Edited by Sutasaurus

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

How so? Not-for-profits are dying for new folks these days. As long as your ethics align with their ethics it should be good to go.

not for profits in an activity as inbred as this can have a lot of community bad mouthing. so if you say wanted to help the Cadevalina Crownaliers, and their director decided you were a PITA and not worth the hassle, there's a chance they'd gossip to their friends at the Phantom Mandapers, who would then gossip to their friends at the Coltguards, and so on and so on and so on. so by the time word got to the Jersey Vancrest, your rep would be trashed...all because you disagreed with one person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

not for profits in an activity as inbred as this can have a lot of community bad mouthing. so if you say wanted to help the Cadevalina Crownaliers, and their director decided you were a PITA and not worth the hassle, there's a chance they'd gossip to their friends at the Phantom Mandapers, who would then gossip to their friends at the Coltguards, and so on and so on and so on. so by the time word got to the Jersey Vancrest, your rep would be trashed...all because you disagreed with one person.

I hear what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree Jeff. Not all corps are that intertwined. Create all the hybrids you want but I think they operate as separate organizations. No? Take the whole discussion about staffing. If X instructor was “Too volatile” for a particular corps, why would they be a good fit for corps Y?