Staff Merry-go-round

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I hear what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree Jeff. Not all corps are that intertwined. Create all the hybrids you want but I think they operate as separate organizations. No? Take the whole discussion about staffing. If X instructor was “Too volatile” for a particular corps, why would they be a good fit for corps Y?

Could be because Y corps wants to move up and is willing to risk it with that staff member. 

Mandarins and Ike Jackson helps showcase this. I can't believe they didn't know his reputation. 

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

How the heck does this activity allow people to move up and make it evolve if we expect the same people to be the drivers?

There was a time when people like Paul Rennick were never known.

There is talent that we don't know about because they have never been given the opportunity. 

Upheaval in staff can sometimes produce the next leaders who now have the chance. 

History is full of examples of this very dynamic.

4 minutes ago, Continental said:

How the heck does this activity allow people to move up and make it evolve if we expect the same people to be the drivers?

There was a time when people like Paul Rennick were never known.

There is talent that we don't know about because they have never been given the opportunity. 

Upheaval in staff can sometimes produce the next leaders who now have the chance. 

Well,

When what's rewarded on the sheets is having a staff together for X many years, it kind of self reinforces the good old boy system. New people DO come into the activity at the lower levels, but what would work there doesn't always work at the more "mature" corps. I dunno, but that's an excellent question.

Same thing happens in other parts of society too.

50 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Could be because Y corps wants to move up and is willing to risk it with that staff member. 

Mandarins and Ike Jackson helps showcase this. I can't believe they didn't know his reputation. 

So, you’re saying Y corps doesn’t care about the health of it’s membership? Then, shame on corps Y. DCP membership will stand behind this, right?

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

So, you’re saying Y corps doesn’t care about the health of it’s membership? Then, shame on corps Y. DCP membership will stand behind this, right?

I agree. I think that if a staff member is problematic and has not shown that they have gotten better or tried to get better (what comes to mind is I know of a certain staff member that was required to take anger management courses before he was allowed to staff there) that we should shame Y corps for hiring them. And DCP/social media mainly does. When something like that comes out, that Y corps hired a problematic person, social media tends to talk about it and discuss it. 

15 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:
19 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

How so? Not-for-profits are dying for new folks these days. As long as your ethics align with their ethics it should be good to go.

And you don’t let the public know that they were mistreating members. Gotta keep it in the family, am I right?

I thought my ethics aligned perfectly to my corps. So weird.

Plenty of corps hire their low level admin straight out of the age out pool. Then, like most non profits in the arts I've worked at, they burn them out and wait for the next crop. Meanwhile, leadership cycles among industry insiders because they can't attract outside talent. I'd relish in evidence to the contrary, but I just haven't seen any yet.

This also isn't unique to drum corps.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

What about the questions with brass?? Really the only caption I’m not concerned with is percussion. For 2023 I’ll just be happy if the Cavaliers make Finals. 

Saucedo's a proven talent as arranger and music lead. You wouldn't think he'd jump back in unless he was feeling the itch to do something new.

They should be fine. 

Edited by Slingerland

57 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

And you don’t let the public know that they were mistreating members. Gotta keep it in the family, am I right?

Really hard to do in this day and age.