Staff Merry-go-round

28 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I thought my ethics aligned perfectly to my corps. So weird.

Plenty of corps hire their low level admin straight out of the age out pool. Then, like most non profits in the arts I've worked at, they burn them out and wait for the next crop. Meanwhile, leadership cycles among industry insiders because they can't can't attract outside talent. I'd relish in evidence to the contrary, but I just haven't seen any yet.

This also isn't unique to drum corps.

Welcome to the world of volunteerism. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I hear what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree Jeff. Not all corps are that intertwined. Create all the hybrids you want but I think they operate as separate organizations. No? Take the whole discussion about staffing. If X instructor was “Too volatile” for a particular corps, why would they be a good fit for corps Y?

well i'll let you have your belief. having been involved in this activity my whole life, well...i'll let history speak for itself regardless of how public it is.

because you have to remember..are they are volatile? or is that the excuse put forward? you truly don't understand how inbred the activity is.

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

So, you’re saying Y corps doesn’t care about the health of it’s membership? Then, shame on corps Y. DCP membership will stand behind this, right?

these days they care more than the past. but you have to realize the addiction to success, which is way too often tied to placement.

a perfect example...in Cadetland, Hop was as hated as he was loved...probably moreso. but they placed well from 1982-2016 or so. his people skills and more were bashed to no end......but he stayed. his management style trashed. the organizations finances were never solid by any means. no one in the activity was less liked...but the placed well and he stayed.

it took the Inquirer article to finally get him out, and even that was a mess because of his hand picked sycophantic board. 

Pioneer for years was the legend of how not to treat members, but Blenski stayed in charge. Mike Stevens out in Oregon. the list goes on.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Really hard to do in this day and age.

Blenski tried

10 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Welcome to the world of volunteerism. 

Hm? I'm intimately familiar having just served a year in national service myself and having worked in arts nonprofits organizing volunteers. That kind of treatment is not okay for volunteers, it's not okay for part/full time or contract admin, it's not okay for anyone. It never should have been. Unless you're cool with burning out the workforce that is supposed to replace you and pass along key institutional knowledge. Whatevs I guess.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Hm? I'm intimately familiar having just served a year in national service myself and having worked in arts nonprofits organizing volunteers. That kind of treatment is not okay for volunteers, it's not okay for part/full time or contract admin, it's not okay for anyone. It never should have been. Unless you're cool with burning out the workforce that is supposed to replace you and pass along key institutional knowledge. Whatevs I guess.

Unfortunately, that’s the case for many not-for-profits.

4 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

drum corps is its own beast..and worst nightmare.

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Yes that is what I said.

We're saying the same thing but I'm adding to the conversation by saying that my professional experience affirms that these outdated hiring/retention practices remain the standard across arts nonprofits. There are even satirical blogs about it. That doesn't make it ok. Many of our most prized institutions across the US are losing key institutional knowledge to this very problem. I've witnessed it many times.

TBH I could frame the first half of my career from the perspective that nearly all the arts education nonprofits I worked for contributed to my burnout and ultimate, desperate career shift. Starting with the Santa Clara Vanguard in 2003. I was trying not to be so blunt.

Instead, I'm sure I'll get pulled over by the OT police.

Any more actual staff move news?  🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

Any more actual staff move news?  🙂

Well, Pete Weber hasn't announced his services for any corps, so it sucks for us....

• Like 3