Staff Merry-go-round

On 9/24/2022 at 12:07 PM, Euph74 said:

Thanks for posting before I got the chance.

Is this an upgrade?

6 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Is this an upgrade?

No, it’s a clear downgrade. Most of the announced percussion staff is returning to their same positions (which is honestly a huge win for them this year). Brass on the other hand lost a gem of a brass caption head and replaced him with the former caption head of BK (19-22).

I’m not sure of how great Tye will be for the brass, with a good year for BK in 19 and a lackluster 22. Likely less of that was his fault than was. Regardless, the brass staff that Cavaliers had before will surely be missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

No, it’s a clear downgrade.MyMost of the announced percussion staff is returning to their same positions (which is honestly a huge win for them this year). Brass on the other hand lost a gem of a brass caption head and replaced him with the former caption head of BK (19-22).

I’m not sure of how great Tye will be for the brass, with a good year for BK in 19 and a lackluster 22. Likely less of that was his fault than was. Regardless, the brass staff that Cavaliers had before will surely be missed.

Maybe, but a quick look at the recaps shows that they were 9th in brass at Finals. Is the change an upgrade? Arguably not, but the new guys have a 9th place finish as their benchmark, so anything better than that would argue a step up. That said, the arranging element of the brass caption(which is more important) is a step up in terms of proven track record, so at worst, it's a wash. 

Edited by Slingerland

13 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Is this an upgrade?

It would be hard to classify any other staff as an upgrade over the team led by Leboeuf and Martin.

That group had many fantastic educators and the growth in the brass program through 2019 was exceptional.

Having said that, the new lead (Tye) has a background with Saucedo, and the co-lead (Owen) seems to be a popular member of the prior staff with some level of by in. Hopefully he will help retain some of the brass kids who have considered leaving.

From a far, there was much to like about BK's approach to brass under Tye's leadership. I think given the circumstances, this is a solid hire

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Euph74 said:

It would be hard to classify any other staff as an upgrade over the team led by Leboeuf and Martin.

That group had many fantastic educators and the growth in the brass program through 2019 was exceptional.

Having said that, the new lead (Tye) has a background with Saucedo, and the co-lead (Owen) seems to be a popular member of the prior staff with some level of by in. Hopefully he will help retain some of the brass kids who have considered leaving.

From a far, there was much to like about BK's approach to brass under Tye's leadership. I think given the circumstances, this is a solid hire

As an invested fan/parent of Former MM...I agree with both sentiments. The bar was set high. And I believe this was a solid hire. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Maybe, but a quick look at the recaps shows that they were 9th in brass at Finals. Is the change an upgrade? Arguably not, but the new guys have a 9th place finish as their benchmark, so anything better than that would argue a step up. That said, the arranging element of the brass caption(which is more important) is a step up in terms of proven track record, so at worst, it's a wash. 

Loved the last staff. Will give this staff the benefit of the doubt. I think the devil is in the detail of who's actually doing the on-field teaching. Section by section. Because the outgoing team not only had good management at the top of the team...they had some great educators working the reps. Jury is out on that. I remain hopeful. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Loved the last staff. Will give this staff the benefit of the doubt. I think the devil is in the detail of who's actually doing the on-field teaching. Section by section. Because the outgoing team not only had good management at the top of the team...they had some great educators working the reps. Jury is out on that. I remain hopeful. 

The work the outgoing staff accomplished was remarkable. Also, the combination of excellence and lighthearted humor exhibited by Martin, Leboeuf, and others, seemed to fit so well with the Cavaliers ethos. I have no idea why the partnership between this team and the corps had to end (or who actually initiated it), but it is still hard to fathom that the momentum and optimism achieved by the corps through 2019 could disintegrate so quickly. Time to rebuild (again). Hoping for the best.

9 hours ago, Slingerland said:

You know, that's caption bleed.

Same thing happened to Cadets and their stoned show. Wins brass the previous year, then panned the next year.

• Like 3